IGNORED

now that I got my Ti going, what's the most optimal upgrade path?

tater1337

Hi guys, I have just the console and have been reading around and was wondering what is the best way to get things upgraded to the max.

I see things like the tipi, the nanopeb, regular pebs, 32k sidecars, finalgrom and all sorts of stuff, some requiring others in order to work

what still has a chance of being found, what stuff should I put on my ebay search list, and what stuff can i expect to find new?

really tempted to find a full size PEB and build/repair as I go.

It really depends on what you want to do with the system. A complete PEB gives the most possible upgrade options, but also takes up a lot of space (I am one of those that goes this route with most of my expanded systems, but not all of them, as I have some use cases for the others--mostly for testing new items in various system configurations). This option can get expensive though, especially if you try to add hard disks or double-density floppy drives. There are several viable sidecar options, all of which have their fans. A nanoPEB is a nice alli-in-one that replicates the general functionality of the base configuration PEB. The 32K sidecar with TIPI is also a good option. There are lots of other sidecar devices, but they are less common (and often downright rare). There are still folks supporting al of the specific items mentioned so far though, so any of these will get you where you want to go. . .

If I was getting ready to expand for the first time, I'd go with a nanoPEB and a FinalGROM right out of the gate. :)

Unfortunately, I have the big beefy expansion box, external floppy drives, cards out the wazoo more accessories than I can count....

The nanoPEB and FinalGROM weren't around when I started blowing my system up, so I didn't have those options. :)

Loaded question! It really depends how far you wish to go down the rabbit hole. :)

The Peripheral Expansion Box

Arguably the most expensive route, it takes up some space, but it affords the user the most expansion options of any other. If I were starting out and planned to stick with it over time it's the best option (in my opinion). It also supports the TIPI, and gives you the option of running a SAM's card which when more is developed for it might become more useful and popular.

The TIPI/32K/Raspberry Pi

This route gives you the most power in the smallest footprint of any other option. The TIPI is currently supported and more and more USEFUL programs and applications are being developed for it. If you cannot spare the space for a full-fledged P-Box, this would be my second choice. I might add that all the hardware in this configuration is well built and reliable.

The Nano-PEB

One of the least-expensive routes as it gives you 32K and some storage capability. Some people like it and have luck with it, but it's been known to be flaky. I personally have had three fail on me, so I cannot honestly, with my bias recommend it. The Nano also ends your expansion options and locks you into it's limited capabilities.

Good luck with your decision!

• Like 1

The TIPI is currently supported and more and more USEFUL programs and applications are being developed for it. If you cannot spare the space for a full-fledged P-Box, this would be my second choice. I might add that all the hardware in this configuration is well built and reliable.

I can spare the space, and I might be able to spare the cash (I do not see prices bandied about) for a full PEB, but I do not see them often available, is there schematics available? is it just a busboard backplane with power added or is there some logic? I'd like to blue[print s the old PEB cards to see how hard it would be for local PCB shops to replicate

so yeah, I might be investing in 2 PEBS, plus the 32k's AND some naopebs (and find out *why* they are flaky, so we can fix em)

Edited by tater1337
  • Like 1

I have not experienced similar flakiness with the nano/CF7 devices. I have a CF7 that I've had for over a decade and the only issue I've ever had ended up being one bad CF card and a flighty power supply.

If you're going down the PEB route, welcome to the party. :) as stated above, there is a TIPI card for the PEB, so if you want to get down with the RPi, you're not limiting yourself. PBoxes are on eBay literally all the time... I don't think I've ever NOT seen one on eBay. You can often find a box with standard complement cards for around $200, but the shipping will set you back another $50+.

If you live in Wisconsin, we should chat. I may have a spare box and a couple cards I could let go for less than market value.... also have a bunch of spare cartridges and other goodies. If you're going to be in this for the long term, I'd be more than happy to get you set up.

Edited by Opry99er

I can spare the space, and I might be able to spare the cash (I do not see prices bandied about) for a full PEB, but I do not see them often available, is there schematics available? is it just a busboard backplane with power added or is there some logic?

Yeah. Just a busboard and power supply(and cooling fan and card supports).

so yeah, I might be investing in 2 PEBS, plus the 32k's AND some naopebs (and find out *why* they are flaky, so we can fix em)

The build tends to be a bit rough. On mine, at least, I have an edge connector that is a little too large, that's very easy to misalign on the TI...

post-12959-0-47528400-1555303009_thumb.jpg

Also, I've never seen two exactly alike. ;)

They are rather picky about the card they talk to - of about a dozen that I bought to test, maybe a third work. This is probably just timing on the bus, but I never looked.

• Like 1

what link, the one i looked at said the grom cart out of stock

(i honestly could have been looking at the wrong one)

finalgrom99 is what you want, i sell them out pretty fast, then have to get more from the manufacturer.. you can also order direct from him if you google finalgrom99