IGNORED

Accurancy of the printer emulation

JoSch

Accurancy of the printer emulation  

14 members have voted

1. 1. How accurate should the emulation be?

• It should look like it looks on the original printer.
    • It suffices when it fits on the line like on the original printer.
    • Main point is I can print something
    • I don't care
  2. 2. How accurate should the proportional font emulation be.

• The spacing should be accurate, so a line behaves like on the original printer. The characters could overlap on the output device.
    • The spacing should be so like the selected font on the output device. It could be that the line wraps around, where it doesn't on the original printer.
    • I don't care.

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I'll set up a printer and check it by the end of the week, while kyle has such needs and devices, currently a stubborn roofing issues prevents him from testing. No one wants water in the printer :)

Should be fine. If it works, I will more than likely leave it set up that way.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Had anyone success with the passthrough option?

Finally gave it a try this evening (using the Windows build), but no response from my laser printer. Not entirely sure I have it set up correctly:

P1: Passthru, Raw Output, and the Canon printer selected in the settings.

The Atari communicates with the P: device OK and believes it's sent the print job and the data shows up in the RespeQt console window, but nothing happens beyond that.

I'll try the macOS version next, anyway.

Finally gave it a try this evening (using the Windows build), but no response from my laser printer. Not entirely sure I have it set up correctly:

P1: Passthru, Raw Output, and the Canon printer selected in the settings.

The Atari communicates with the P: device OK and believes it's sent the print job and the data shows up in the RespeQt console window, but nothing happens beyond that.

I'll try the macOS version next, anyway.

I assume, you printed some native codes of your Canon printer.

Can you send me your test file and tell me the model of your printer? Perhaps I can replicate the printing problem.

While developing, I was only testing blindly, because I have no Esc/p printer to test printing directly to it. So maybe Windows is still doing something to the raw output.

I want to add a major caveat of the printer emulation: The RespeQt print job is only finished, when the printer emulation is disconnected again.

The code has to rely on this manual process, because it doesnt know when the printing is finished.

Edited by JoSch

I assume, you printed some native codes of your Canon printer.

Can you send me your test file and tell me the model of your printer?

Canon LBP3010, and I have no idea of the native codes understood by the printer. I should probably not expect plain text to appear on a printer which runs by default in bit-mapped graphics mode (or PostScript, or whatever it is). :)

I want to add a major caveat of the printer emulation: The RespeQt print job is only finished, when the printer emulation is disconnected again.

That was definitely a factor in my lack of success. :) Will try again tomorrow.

Edited by flashjazzcat

The passthrough mode is intended for using e.g. a FX-80 with Print Shop to print without interference from RespeQt. RespeQt then does no translation (except for 155).

Here's what you have to do: Select a printer to simulate, e.g. a 1029, from the left selection.

Then select your printer from the right selection. Press the "Connect" button.

Print stuff. Press the "Disconnect button".

Wait for it ;-)

You should have a print out.

I certainly need a manual for the functions.

Edited by JoSch
  • Like 1

How about a user adjustable timeout? When time is up with no more characters received, printing begins.

I don't like the need for user intervention.

You could do that. But I wouldn't like a timeout in the middle of daisy-dot print job, which can take some time.

I think about that feature, but it takes a back seat, since I'm working on other things.