IGNORED

Crack’ed review - Really needs a tracball

gorfcadet

• 6 months later...
On 4/15/2019 at 8:38 PM, Kaboomer said:

How does one play with a mouse on the 7800?

Not sure. I tried taking my CX22 and turning it upside down, but that didn't work too well. :(

If there was a "mouse" type input device for the 7800, I'd buy it as Cracked is actually quite fun, even with the proline joytick. I still need the Robotron 2084 double thumbpad too...

Had Atari Inc/Corp released GCC's [expensive] re-imagining of Dan Kramer's CX22 for the 7800 with 2 fire buttons on each side, Crack'ed would've really worked on the console.

Had a version been made for the A8/XEGS, I'd advocate for it to be ported to the 5200 for use with its Trak-Ball but apparently that never happened. Even the ST version would be better if it was modded to support the Enhanced Joystick Ports on the STe and then someone made an adapter to use the CX53 with those ports...

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 5:14 PM, sixersfan105 said:

Cool interview with the programmer from back in 2003. Check out #4 in particular - he was against porting Crack'ed to the 7800.

https://web.archive.org/web/20040513095940/http://emulazione.multiplayer.it/stgraveyard/Interviews/Robert%20Craig/RobCraig.htm

I'm intrigued by his comment about the game almost being licensed for an arcade version. I wonder which arcade company was interested in it? Maybe Ed Logg over at Atari Games Corp/Tengen was aware of it since he was a known ST owner and enthusiast...

4 hours ago, DJ Clae said:

I thought it was only able to do a momentary snapshot.

As the trigger is just a button it would be trivial for the game to detect the position of the gun each frame while the trigger is held. Most games flash the screen white while reading the position of the gun to make the screen as bright as possible to make it easier for the light sensor to pick up, but it's not necessary if the screen is already bright enough.

Though I have both the game and the gun I've not tried it so I'm assuming it doesn't flash because that would be horrible if it did.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...