IGNORED

FLOP 63 - New Issue of the Floppy Disk Magazine

baktra

Atari klub - spolek příznivců historické výpočetní techniky (Association of Historical Computing Enthusiasts), announces FLOP 63, the first issue of the magazine published in 2019.

Flop_63.png

To get more information on the magazine, and to download issue 63, visit FLOP's website.

Content is available in both Czech and English.

Highlights of FLOP 63

Texts:

• Timeline of Atari History
  • Interview with Pavel Tišnovský
  • Atari anniversaries in 2019
Games:

• Fruity Pete, a brand new game from Fandal & Akio Tenshi
  • Like 17

Had a couple more goes on it and be prepared to lose some time on this, its seriously addictive, even the repeated tunes are part of the charm....

Really fun game.....

Big thanks to the creators and the magazine for putting it out!!!

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

After watching several levels of game play on the video, I'm not sure I see the attraction in playability. Is it just collecting so many fruits in each level? Nothing to stop you or chase you? I see the other animated icons which I guess are either power-ups or power-downs like the boot one that slowed the character down. But is that it? Am I missing something? It seems as long as I avoid those animated power icons I can just freely run around until I collect enough fruit. I just don't see much of a challenge or real game to keep me interested. I'll give it a go, but I'm just not seeing it.

That aside, great graphics and music!

Ha ha Mat, yeah its not as simple as collecting the fruit, you can only move in certain directions depending on if anything is stopping you ie the weeds. So once you start moving you can only go in that direction until you hit something, then depending if anything is blocking your way you can chose another straight only direction, again until you hit something that's not another fruit. You can get stuck with no way to go other than hitting the weeds and in those situations you get to use a pickup of weed killer which you have limited quantities of. The other icons give you a level change, a slow down, a disorientation one that reverses the controls and a nice pass through anything one, again time limited.

There's more than that but that is for you to find out..Its a proper puzzle maze, the more you clear the more chance you have of having no obvious route so its time for the weedkiller IF you have some...

Not sure if you can clear the whole area's, never got to that situation and not sure of the reason for a limited number of fruit pick up before being taken to another level / return to a previous level..

Its a glorious multi screen puzzle...

• Like 4

IMHO the main problem is you can't see where you are going, so you can't really plan. But hey, somebody is actually trying to make original content. And I appreciate that greatly.

It's basically casual game. It's about sitting and enjoying graphics and music without having to think too much. And the music and graphics are superb.

• Like 2

After watching several levels of game play on the video, I'm not sure I see the attraction in playability. Is it just collecting so many fruits in each level? Nothing to stop you or chase you? I see the other animated icons which I guess are either power-ups or power-downs like the boot one that slowed the character down. But is that it? Am I missing something? It seems as long as I avoid those animated power icons I can just freely run around until I collect enough fruit. I just don't see much of a challenge or real game to keep me interested. I'll give it a go, but I'm just not seeing it.

That aside, great graphics and music!

Yeah, I played approx. 5 levels yesterday and it seems to be just that. It's like Boulder Dash without butterflies and without fireflies and the rocks as well as the acid do not move. The gfx are great, the music is good, but gameplay seems to be too easy. Maybe later levels are more difficult to solve and you need every single fruit to finish a level ?!? Do not remember if the game levels had a timer, maybe that could add some pressure. One small correction though - you cannot freely run around. Move e.g. to the left and you will walk to the left as many steps as there are fruits to collect, the same thing happens for right, up and down. You cannot move freely like e.g. in Boulder Dash... But because of the gfx, I am giving it another go!

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 1

Has anyone tried Fruity Pete on an NTSC Atari? I ask because, on my stock XEGS, it crashes on the first level after I only collect a few fruit. I see some flickering when starting the game but nothing that is a problem. When playing Fruity Pete on an emulator (Atari800MacX) in NTSC mode, I see the flickering but the game doesn't crash.

It looks like an enjoyable puzzle game. Hopefully, it can be patched to work on an NTSC Atari.

Bob C

If you have enough fruits collected, you can try the Yahtzee M8 game with up to 8 of your friends.

Missing originality? Another Yahtzee?
In the accompanying text, you will see why and with what goals the game was created. See for yourself if the authors succeeded or not.

And don't forget the texts.
E.g. The timeline of Atari history is an relaxing and interesting retrospective.
The Interview with Pavel Tišnovský will (among other matters) reveal how the Atari and computing beginnings were in a country with substantially different political and economical system at the time.

• Like 1

On Altirra, Fuity Pete crashes within seconds under NTSC. The 2nd time it crashed, Altirra recommended switching to PAL. The music sounds too fast, but the gameplay is fine on PAL.

Thanks for the report. I have Altirra running through Wine on my Mac but, lately, I've found Atari800MacX more convenient as a Mac user. However, I realize that Altirra tends to be the closest to actual hardware.

Bob C

Of course, I made poor choice of puns.

Thanks for the NTSC version. I enjoyed playing it this evening on the XEGS. If you touch the game again, it would be nice to know which level you are playing.

Is there any documentation on the different power-ups or is the idea that you figure them out yourself?

Thanks again for the NTSC support. I appreciate being able to play the games on my actual hardware.

Bob C

• Like 3