IGNORED

Official PS5 plans (RayTracing, BC, SSD, 2020) Wired Exclusive & Mark Cerny

Note: since the number of characters for the topic title is limited, I used "PS5", although officially, Mark Cerny is calling it "the next-gen console" for now.

Rest assured though, they're not merely talking about a further upgrade of PS4, this will be "PlayStation 5".

With that out of the way, here's the article.

I read "wired" and thought they started caring about lag and went full old school on the controlers.

As for the specs, well...just some specs. Of course it will be faster and all that. But in the end of the day all that really matters are games, or to be more exact, exclusives.

It's also a pity that the modern talk re: power is all about ray tracing and 8K. These leave me completely cold, for me it's a waste of resources which should be directed into building bigger and more detailed worlds, better AI and general complexity.

• Like 2

I'm excited for the enthusiasts, but I'm getting too old for this $hit and will probably (finally) sit out this console generation because I barely have time to play what I have.

I've been saying that since at least the 360/PS3, and feeling it since ps2/cube/Xbox. I'd be way happier if I just got off the treadmill altogether.

Mobile, PC, and Switch are more than enough for me, and doing non-game stuff would be so much healthier.

• Like 3

If it's fully backwards compatible i'll pick it up, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5. Otherwise, will skip it this gen. Probably moving to just retro/PC mix from here on out.

He said it will be. Also will have SSD with a very fast bus (whatever that will be, supposedly faster than current PC). But that is crucial because load times are a problem on the PS4 with some games.

I'm ready. The PS4 is easily the best console I've ever owned, so looking forward to what's next.

Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs.

All I got from the article is Mark Cerny is full of crap trying to sell a product. The above quote of a quote is most likely tightly crafted to only be technically true. There's just no way they're going to include an SSD that's better than all of the current drives available for PC simply because it would cost way too much to put in a console.

• Like 1

All I got from the article is Mark Cerny is full of crap trying to sell a product. The above quote of a quote is most likely tightly crafted to only be technically true. There's just no way they're going to include an SSD that's better than all of the current drives available for PC simply because it would cost way too much to put in a console.

we shall see in time, but if it is using some kind of custom bus, does that mean no SSD upgrades/replacements? Or it will cost a small fortune bc it's proprietary, like Vita memory cards. Or maybe it's using a new PC standard that isn't released on PC yet.

I'm excited for the enthusiasts, but I'm getting too old for this $hit and will probably (finally) sit out this console generation because I barely have time to play what I have.

I've been saying that since at least the 360/PS3, and feeling it since ps2/cube/Xbox. I'd be way happier if I just got off the treadmill altogether.

Mobile, PC, and Switch are more than enough for me, and doing non-game stuff would be so much healthier.

You say that now.... I remember a thread in the Xbox forum, and we were posting GameStop deals... and they had one too good to pass up... and you went right out and bought a One!

:)

Might happen again.

• Like 1

I feel 100% this way. Who has the time? I still have a backlog of PS3 games i've been meaning to play and an just getting around to now (60% on The Last of Us as we speak)

That being said, if it ACTUALLY is fully backwards compatible with 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 discs; I'll snap one up for sure to free up some power ports and HDMI ports.

Chances of it being 1-5 BC are probably less than 1%........they will find some way to not do it, make it digital or otherwise a pain, if even a feature at all.

Edited by travistouchdown

I wonder if this ad haunts him?

cerny.jpg

Two giant balls and nothing to show for between them, he should be.

Anyway though, I'm on board with the early post there about it being a wasted moment and amount of resources. The problem between the PS3 and PS4 was that they got marginally prettier, but more could be done because of the better hardware. Now it's like they want prettier but with marginally better under the hood stuff game function which is the opposite. Style over substance sells to suckers and stooges who are fools and technophiles, but if the system just looks nicer but can't go a heap more than what PS4 does, then why the hell even bother? At $500 you could take that investment into a damn fine starter computer rig, and then as time chips away you could throw that better video card, or another 16GB of RAM at it and blow that stupid thing out of the water. Couple that with the total lack of DRM on various releases or GoG, let alone just what Steam gets anyway (most 3rd party games) in finer form no less on top of their weekly sales and crazy quarterlies, and it's like why bother? I don't regret selling the PS4 because of this as my 4 year old gaming laptop can kick the PS4's ass and match up nicely to the Pro. I'd rather buy another computer that'll last into the PS6 era.

You say that now.... I remember a thread in the Xbox forum, and we were posting GameStop deals... and they had one too good to pass up... and you went right out and bought a One!

:)

Might happen again.

For sure. But I mostly play old games on it, when I use it at all. Chasing new games feels like diminishing returns.
  • Like 1

Your paying for a PC where you don't have to install anything, it turns on and plays games and you have to pay to play on the internet. Me and my friend are pushing 50, we have over a thousand Steam games, a ton of games are now showing up on Steam that used to be on PlayStation. Endless emulation. Our life spans aren't long enough to play everything we own. We've run out of house space for any more physical shit. We both had hand issues from being in IT and playing games for so long. I used to like buying every console, now it's insanity to even think that. Sad but true I guess is the only phrase I can think of.

On the flip side, I think most PS4 fans are going to love this thing. I really liked the PS4 when it came out, I thought it was a vast improvement over the PS3. The controllers, the speed..... Although over the years the loading times inside games is pretty brutal. If you add on backwards compatibility then it'll be a really cool machine to have if you've invested a whole lot in PS4. Right now in my opinion backwards compatibility is a must for future consoles.

• Like 2

Sony really needs to focus hard on getting great exclusives. The PC market is much more accessible now than it used to be, with many of same games available, most with improved features and graphics with actual mod support. They're also much cheaper during sales. Exclusive future Hideo Kojima games would probably be the biggest reason why I would consider getting a system in the future. Time will tell though if his company will be a Sony exclusive developer like Guerrilla Games. It would definitely help Sony out.

Edited by xenomorpher

Two giant balls and nothing to show for between them, he should be.

Anyway though, I'm on board with the early post there about it being a wasted moment and amount of resources. The problem between the PS3 and PS4 was that they got marginally prettier, but more could be done because of the better hardware. Now it's like they want prettier but with marginally better under the hood stuff game function which is the opposite. Style over substance sells to suckers and stooges who are fools and technophiles, but if the system just looks nicer but can't go a heap more than what PS4 does, then why the hell even bother? At $500 you could take that investment into a damn fine starter computer rig, and then as time chips away you could throw that better video card, or another 16GB of RAM at it and blow that stupid thing out of the water. Couple that with the total lack of DRM on various releases or GoG, let alone just what Steam gets anyway (most 3rd party games) in finer form no less on top of their weekly sales and crazy quarterlies, and it's like why bother? I don't regret selling the PS4 because of this as my 4 year old gaming laptop can kick the PS4's ass and match up nicely to the Pro. I'd rather buy another computer that'll last into the PS6 era.

I just spent over $400 upgrading my PC to a Ryzen 5 2600 + 16MB + SSD, that means new Mobo, new RAM. It does not include a new video card. It also does not include the cost of things I already own (Case, PSU, Windows license, KB/Mouse/Optical Drive/Game controller.

The PS5 looks like it's going to have a better Ryzen than that, better SSD than my new PC, and a better GPU than the ones I'm currently pricing out.

Point is, you simply can't build a PC with better specs than this for the same price if you are doing an honest apples-to-apples comparison

And the Steam/GoG sales are no better than the sales on PSN. They are about equal. The regular prices tend to be the same on both, and the sale prices tend to be the same as well. I keep an eye on both and try to get the best deal.

• Like 1

I just spent over $400 upgrading my PC to a Ryzen 5 2600 + 16MB + SSD, that means new Mobo, new RAM. It does not include a new video card. It also does not include the cost of things I already own (Case, PSU, Windows license, KB/Mouse/Optical Drive/Game controller.

The PS5 looks like it's going to have a better Ryzen than that, better SSD than my new PC, and a better GPU than the ones I'm currently pricing out.

Point is, you simply can't build a PC with better specs than this for the same price if you are doing an honest apples-to-apples comparison

And the Steam/GoG sales are no better than the sales on PSN. They are about equal. The regular prices tend to be the same on both, and the sale prices tend to be the same as well. I keep an eye on both and try to get the best deal.

IMO, the real PS5 vs PC argument is going to come down to which offers the user the least amount of BS. It used to be that consoles won that hands-down, since all you did was buy a box and plug it in... but in the last decade, not only have consoles matched the PC in terms of upgrades, patches, spec chasing, and compatibility issues... I'd argue that they've beaten the PC in some ways.

I'm not saying anything you all don't already know... just pointing out that I don't really care about the hardware or software, I'm asking myself which will give me the least amount of issues over the next few years.

IMO, the real PS5 vs PC argument is going to come down to which offers the user the least amount of BS. It used to be that consoles won that hands-down, since all you did was buy a box and plug it in... but in the last decade, not only have consoles matched the PC in terms of upgrades, patches, spec chasing, and compatibility issues... I'd argue that they've beaten the PC in some ways.

I'm not saying anything you all don't already know... just pointing out that I don't really care about the hardware or software, I'm asking myself which will give me the least amount of issues over the next few years.

One area where the PS4 really beats PC for convenience is updates. Can't tell you how many times I've wanted to play a PC game, only to first have to wait for the Steam client to update itself, then once that's done, I launch Steam, and that game I wanted to play wants to update too, and I can't start it until it does. Steam stuff doesn't download particularly quickly for me even though I've followed online advice and tried changing download regions. I sometimes have to wait over an hour for multi-GB updates.

PS4 on the other hand will download updates while it is in rest mode. I'll come home from work, and the update will often already be downloaded and ready to go. In the cases where I have to wait for the download, it will still let me launch the old version of the game (unless it is entirely dependent on online play)

I think all this about the PS5 sounds great. I can't wait.

I never understand the "just build a PC!" argument. It's apples and oranges. I have a gaming PC too; I play completely different games on it. I think most people who have both do that, because they're just good at different things. I'd never want to play games like Homeworld or Two Point Hospital on a game console, but I also wouldn't really want to play a game like MLB The Show on the PC.

I know not everyone can afford to have both a PS4/5 and a gaming PC. But I think telling someone to pick a gaming PC when they've already expressed interest in the PS5 is kind of like saying "forget buying that Camaro - get a Ford F-150 instead!" One is not really a very good substitute for the other.

(And yes, this goes both ways.)

• Like 4