IGNORED

Capcom Home Arcade

Sorry if this double-posts, my connection is being weird. Just wanted to share Capcom's announcement-- they're getting into the retro craze with their own Pandora's Box looking device:

http://www.capcomhomearcade.com/

If nothing else, at least they seem to be handling things right-- using Sanwa sticks and being up front about using FB Alpha seems like they're putting the right face on this. Decent list of games too, most of their hits that I'd really want are on there.

Thoughts?

Hmmm, Not sure, Unless the controllers are really, really nice, it seem pretty expensive for what it is. It's 229 pounds (in their store)... so in USD it's about almost $300.

So, $250 to $300, seems kind of pricey for a limited selection of titles... maybe it's me...

Maybe $99- $130 it might be ok...

Hmmm, Not sure, Unless the controllers are really, really nice, it seem pretty expensive for what it is. It's 229 pounds (in their store)... so in USD it's about almost $300.

So, $250 to $300, seems kind of pricey for a limited selection of titles... maybe it's me...

Maybe $99- $130 it might be ok...

how much of that price is AvP I wonder, plus avp is an amazing game

The action buttons are rather low profile. That's a red flag for me, because they could be of lower quality than regular (i.e. heavy-duty) arcade action buttons found on more generic arcade controllers. But they may also be just as heavy-duty, so it's an unanswered question for now.

Also, if I'm sitting on the couch playing a fighting game with a friend, how close will we have to sit next to each other to play comfortably?

I like the list of built-in games, but I'm not sure about the form factor of the hardware.

The action buttons are rather low profile. That's a red flag for me, because they could be of lower quality than regular (i.e. heavy-duty) arcade action buttons found on more generic arcade controllers. But they may also be just as heavy-duty, so it's an unanswered question for now.

Also, if I'm sitting on the couch playing a fighting game with a friend, how close will we have to sit next to each other to play comfortably?

I like the list of built-in games, but I'm not sure about the form factor of the hardware.

Good call on the button height… Makes sense...

As for how close you need to sit, it's 74cm wide...so about a little over 29"... so about 2.4 feet....means a little over a foot for each user and maybe 3-4" in the center...

It's going to be a little tight..

• Like 1

I don't know about ugly... I mean, it'd be kind of cool to have something like that (with no controllers or games or anything... really just a Capcom sign) to hang on the wall. Especially if it was mixed in with arcade posters or marquees or something. "Game room décor".

But it's not a product for me, anyway. Too expensive. Too big. Not enough games I'm interested in (I don't like fighters).

I was looking forward to seeing the final game list, thinking when I saw AvP in the teaser video that Capcom was emulating games that they hadn't done before and that hopefully it would migrate to consoles in time. But this is just an open source emulator they downloaded off the internet, isn't it?

If they ever were to bring 1944: The Loop Master to console, count me in. But I think this is something I can live without here.

Edited by Atariboy

I don't know, how can you tell that they're not Sanwa or Seimitsu? They look like they could be either to me... or neither. I feel like it's impossible to tell what they are just by these pics, but I don't see anything that suggests they *aren't* real Japanese buttons. Which could be one reason why this thing is expensive, if it's using actual Japanese arcade parts.

Then again, I'd have been fine with some cheaper parts if it got the cost down, and that design is just lazy. "Let's just make it the logo!" Their logo is fine as a logo, but it makes for an ugly arcade stick.

edit: just looked at the site again - first paragraph says they're Sanwa OBSF buttons.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

This thing is a huge dumpster fire. The cost, the limited number of games, and the ridiculous Capcom logo shape of the controls make this a no-go for me.

And then there's the question about FB Alpha. An FB Alpha dev (maybe the lead guy? I don't know the names) said yesterday that yes, the CHA has licensed FBA. It's not unusual to negotiate a different license than what your published one says for specific projects. But there are questions about whether FB Alpha still contains MAME code that would need to be separately licensed. So that's interesting, but it doesn't kill the unit for me. Everything else totally kills it for me. :lol:

• Like 2

Id be pretty surprised if the final product looks anything like the rendering. I mean, as if now, all we have is an animation to look at. Sure, theyre taking preorders, but I bet theres some final product may differ language in there somewhere. Im imagining/hoping for a first class version of a 3A games box which, if adequately powered and easily hackable, would be immensely attractive to me.

Edited by RampantOctopus

The price is quite expensive, but considering that according to the press release it comes with Sanwa JLF joysticks and OBSF buttons that's like $100 in parts for the controls alone before even factoring in the cost of the housing and the electronics inside. Real Japanese arcade parts certainly aren't cheap, so a $200 to $300 USD price range is pretty understandable once you consider the cost of the components involved.

The only game included that I'd really be interested in playing is Alien vs Predator, so it's not a product I'll be picking up, but I think there will definitely be a market for it among die hard Capcom fans and arcade enthusiasts.

Edited by Jin

This thing is a huge dumpster fire. The cost, the limited number of games, and the ridiculous Capcom logo shape of the controls make this a no-go for me.

And then there's the question about FB Alpha. An FB Alpha dev (maybe the lead guy? I don't know the names) said yesterday that yes, the CHA has licensed FBA. It's not unusual to negotiate a different license than what your published one says for specific projects. But there are questions about whether FB Alpha still contains MAME code that would need to be separately licensed.

Yeah, that old chestnut...seems to be all kicking off again: https://www.resetera.com/threads/modern-vintage-gamer-capcom-home-arcade-illegally-using-a-non-commercial-emulator.112225/

• Like 1

Wow, so much froth over the emulator's licensing. "Capcom is clearly in the wrong," they say -- but I don't see any strong proof. If you brought this before a judge or jury, Capcom would point out that the emulator has existed for years and years for the sole purpose of playing Capcom and SNK intellectual property without compensation or limitation. If any company has the moral authority here, it's Capcom. It's a huge display of testicular fortitude for the FBA fans to get twisted up about it. The FBA fans can boycott or scream but I highly doubt they would have bought this thing anyway.

It's like the Retron situation all over again, except Capcom is including game IP and hardware that seem to be intrinsically worth something.

• Like 2

If you brought this before a judge or jury, Capcom would point out that the emulator has existed for years and years for the sole purpose of playing Capcom and SNK intellectual property without compensation or limitation. If any company has the moral authority here, it's Capcom.

And the judge would say: "Strawman! Objection overruled!" - hopefully pointing theatrically like in that Phoenix game :) And if he allowed that the defense would say "but the only reason you are releasing this barrroom-shaped monstrosity is becasue the fans and emu devs kept the interest alive for years on end when nobody in the corporate world gave a toss" (thus countering a strawman with another strawman, what fun).

Since we don't really know the details it's hard to opine but in this case seems like the bad guy is not actually Capcom since they tried to obtain legal license but the guy who took the money without having really the right to do so.

• Like 1

And the judge would say: "Strawman! Objection overruled!" - hopefully pointing theatrically like in that Phoenix game :) And if he allowed that the defense would say "but the only reason you are releasing this barrroom-shaped monstrosity is becasue the fans and emu devs kept the interest alive for years on end when nobody in the corporate world gave a toss" (thus countering a strawman with another strawman, what fun).

Since we don't really know the details it's hard to opine but in this case seems like the bad guy is not actually Capcom since they tried to obtain legal license but the guy who took the money without having really the right to do so.

I'm not sure that this is really Capcom at all, though. If you go to the website for the thing it's "manufactured by Koch Media GmbH under license from" Capcom. FBAlpha twitter only said that it was licensed, and not by whom. So I'm not confident that Capcom even knew which emulator would be contracted for this thing.