IGNORED

Flashing Side2cart with 64kb?

Mariano DM

Hello, Ive been trying to update side2 to FJCs firmware, I managed to load the Flash útil executable using the menu loader..

If I switch the cart to sdx mode, it can detect the cart, but now I get an error enable extended memory and continue.

Does this require a 130xe or expansion? . Im trying to do it in my 800XL.

Thanks.

Edited by Mariano DM
  • Like 1

side_full = the full SIDE ROM (512KB, including SDX and the loader)

side_loader = the SIDE loader

side2_full = the full SIDE2 ROM (512KB, including SDX and the loader)

side2_loader = the SIDE2 loader

The loaders for SIDE and SIDE2 are actually identical, but the SDX ROMs are not. Nevertheless I included separate loader ATRs for maximum clarity, supposedly. I'll include a README in the next update, nevertheless, since it's plainly needed and the purpose of the .COM flashers is obviously unclear.

You can update things in any order you please, since SDX and the loader are two completely separate entities.

Note: actually, the separate loader ATRs are required since the SDX banking register is used during the flashing process, and that differs between SIDE and SIDE2. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 3

The SDX ROMs for SIDE2 are all available directly from the SDX upgrade site, so I saw little point in offering them for download from my site. I could link to them in the future, I suppose.

As for replacing the loader: you're free to flash whatever you like to the external cart ROM, and you can do so with either UFLASH or the DLT flasher. Later this week I'll be releasing SIDE ROMs which include the loader and all four OSS language carts (kindly converted by ebiguy).

It should be possible to use a 512K SDX ROM, although it's difficult to imagine a scenario where this would be necessary since it's difficult to fill up the CAR: volume on the 320K builds available for U1MB. The 8K file size limitation does not help. But since the SDX banking register is - necessarily - able to access all sixty-four 8K banks of the ROM, there's no reason it could not be done.

• Like 3

Thanks a lot for your help !

If I only use the side2 loader, I get a memory conflict error.

I updated using the side2_full atr and now I get FJC's loader.

Next: Trying to figure out how to create an APT partition in the CF without 128Kb.

I wish gparted had the "atari 8 bit" option :)

Cheers !

post-44932-0-98874700-1555525539_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mariano DM

X /C FLASH_S2.COM

is the next thing to try with stuff that conflicts...

also try to bypass a autoexec.bat or startup.bat/ config.sys etc

if that fails load from disk and make sure not to load too much stuff, also try loading sparta in other memory areas

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

As far as the partitions is concerned, you can't run the FDISK with only 64kb. I had the same problem and (before installing my U1Mb) I solved the situation like this:

- took an image of my cf with win32DiskImager

- used Altirra to mount this image as cf of Side2 device

- prepared the partitions

- had the image written back to the cf with same program

Edited by dimfil
  • Like 1

As far as the partitions is concerned, you can't run the FDISK with only 64kb. I had the same problem and (before installing my U1Mb) I solved the situation like this:

- took an image of my cf with win32DiskImager

- used Altirra to mount this image as cf of Side2 device

- prepared the partitions

- had the image written back to the cf with same program

Using FDISK with a 64KB Atari might work when you do the following:

1 - boot SDX from the SIDE2 cart

2 - format a floppy (example D1:)

3 - then type this

D1: (push RETURN)

ED CONFIG.SYS (press RETURN)

then type this

USE OSRAM

DEVICE SPARTA OSRAM

DEVICE SIO

DEVICE SIDE

(then save the config file, by pushing ESC key once and then RETURN key)

4 reboot your Atari + SIDE2 cart

5 FDISK works with 64K

(If the SIDE2 compactflash memorycard already is partitioned before, check that SDX is not using one of the partitions on the CF memorycard as a BOOT partition, otherwise SDX will not boot from the floppy.)

(I tried this using the Altirra emulator in 64K Atari 800XL and SIDE2 settings, have to try it next week, when my real SIDE2 cart from Lotharek arives....)

Edited by Stormtrooper of Death

You freaking rock !

Thanks for all the guidance, I'll try both methods and publish my results.

Currenty fdisk runs, but it does not detect the device (I suppose it is because it is running form the same cart)

No, it is not detecting the card because of memory conflict issues with Side driver, as Jon explained in another thread when I asked the same question.

The FDISK stub loader should check MEMLO and exit gracefully, but it makes little difference at the end of the day, since the SIDE driver pushes MEMLO too high on a 64K machine for most applications to even run. If you manage to get the disk partitioned, it's still not going to be much practical use, IMO.

The solution is more RAM or U1MB (the latter making the SIDE.SYS driver totally unnecessary and ironically rendering the hard disk fully usable in 64K of RAM).

Of course the SIDE loader is perfectly at home on a 64K machine, but SDX quickly starts feeling cramped without extended RAM regardless of whether one wants to use SIDE.SYS or not. I remember hurrying to upgrade to 128K in 1989 within weeks of purchasing my SDX cart. :)

• Like 3

Hello FJC

Here's mem results. I think the custom config made barely enough for fdisk to work.

As expected, things like Turbobasic still get memory conflict, but synasm loads fine.

For reflashing the SDX, doing this does not work. I booted with the shift key and was able to update to 4.49c

Cheers

M

post-44932-0-38961500-1555606733_thumb.jpg

• Like 1