IGNORED

Looking for Turbo Pascal 3 disks

Vorticon

You should try them under T-DOS v4.59 to see if they are compatible. They should be and then u have a standard 40 column display. Using Adamem/Virtual Adam, there is also built-in 80 column support for T-DOS using a switch option.

Edited by NIAD

You should try them under T-DOS v4.59 to see if they are compatible. They should be and then u have a standard 40 column display. Using Adamem/Virtual Adam, there is also built-in 80 column support for T-DOS using a switch option.

The disk is already formatted for TDOS 4.59 and is bootable. Interestingly, if I boot up with TDOS 4.59 in drive A and have TP3 in drive B, then try to run TP from B, it won't run, so I assume it expects some files to be drive A.

I have used the 80 col option in VA, and it works great. However, since my goal is to have any program I come up with run on a stock Adam, then 40 col is going to have to be it since as far as I can tell 80-col devices for the Adam are rarer than hen's teeth :)

I know of the F18A VGA replacement for the TMS 9928 video chip (I use it in my TI 99/4A home system) which allows for 80 columns, and it should technically work with TP3. Right now the F18A is undergoing a revision and is not yet available but I do plan on getting one eventually for my ADAM. And even if a piece of software does not allow for 80 col, the VGA image produced is far superior to the RF or composite output.

Ask Milli what the terminal settings are in TP, he helped me out with mine and it worked pretty great. I'm unable to look up those settings at the moment myself, sorry.

The disk is actually already set up for the ADAM at 40 col. The terminal type listed when the program launches is ADAM, which I assume is a custom profile.

The disk is actually already set up for the ADAM at 40 col. The terminal type listed when the program launches is ADAM, which I assume is a custom profile.

Hmmm... He must have set that up after I got mine from him. I think mine was preset for a Hazeltine terminal (or something like that). I just remember having to trial and error it a fair bit (never did get it 100%).

Hmmm... He must have set that up after I got mine from him. I think mine was preset for a Hazeltine terminal (or something like that). I just remember having to trial and error it a fair bit (never did get it 100%).

NIAD's images posted above are what you need then :)

• 1 month later...

dont know how well tp was used on Adam, i Used it alot at MSX, and also played with graphics and sound, cause some guy made graphics and sound routines available for the MSX, you cant use them directly on other systems, cause the MSX routines called the BASIC rom, but i guess you could make your own routines, by reading and writing to the VDP and SOUNDCHIP, this is done by the Z80. I was going to try to use Turbo Pascal to develop for ColecoVision but the problem is the compiler settings dont allow that to be done, If  you want to write a ColecoVision game, Memory have to be in one area with the stack, and code have to start from 8000h, so its not possible. I found another pascal compiler where it is possible to change those options. Its calles Pascal MT plus, but you have to compile and link with the right options :)

https://winworldpc.com/product/pascal-mt/5x-cpm

On 6/18/2019 at 4:46 AM, CrazyBoss said:

dont know how well tp was used on Adam, i Used it alot at MSX, and also played with graphics and sound, cause some guy made graphics and sound routines available for the MSX, you cant use them directly on other systems, cause the MSX routines called the BASIC rom, but i guess you could make your own routines, by reading and writing to the VDP and SOUNDCHIP, this is done by the Z80. I was going to try to use Turbo Pascal to develop for ColecoVision but the problem is the compiler settings dont allow that to be done, If  you want to write a ColecoVision game, Memory have to be in one area with the stack, and code have to start from 8000h, so its not possible. I found another pascal compiler where it is possible to change those options. Its calles Pascal MT plus, but you have to compile and link with the right options :)

https://winworldpc.com/product/pascal-mt/5x-cpm

I tried to create a DSK version for the Adam using the installation procedure outlined in the manual, but the compiler just hangs. It looks like a very complete version of Pascal, so I was very interested in trying it out. Turbo Pascal 3 does not have modules (units) which don't appear until version 4.0 whereas Pascal MT does.

18 hours ago, Vorticon said:

I tried to create a DSK version for the Adam using the installation procedure outlined in the manual, but the compiler just hangs. It looks like a very complete version of Pascal, so I was very interested in trying it out. Turbo Pascal 3 does not have modules (units) which don't appear until version 4.0 whereas Pascal MT does.

I tried it on a Memotech MTX in CP/M, I dont recall 100% how i did, I am quite sure I took the files the directories, and I did not use the disk images. As its only a linker + compiler those files runs on standard CP/M, so I guess it should run on ADAM. I will take a look maybe this weekend, to see what i did :)

About turbo pascal 3, you can still just create your own procedures and functions, if you e.g want to do graphics, or put it in include files. The problem is if you create a file with alot of functions you dont end up using, the compiler still compiles those procedures and functions, and take up space.

It a shame i dont have a ADAM, only a Colecovision, but i guess ADAMs are quite rare in Europe.

On 6/19/2019 at 1:52 PM, Vorticon said:

ok spend 5 mins playing around with it, at Memotech MTX emulation in CP/M.

if you download the documentation at https://winworldpc.com/product/pascal-mt/5x-cpm 

check the pdf file said Pascal MT programmers guide mar83, in the pdf reader i use Page 16/128 you will find the files needed to build a compiler and linker disk. At page 12-15 you even find which files are at the 3 diskettes including in the package. If you have enough space at the diskette you use, you can actually have both the compiler and the linker at the same disk. Else you need to use two diskdrives.

to compile you simply type

mtplus test.pas

(if your file is test.pas)

this make a file which the linker will create a .com file from, type

linkmt test,paslib/s

if you want your data and code to be on other areas then the one cp/m use you can add /d:e000, this will put the variables at E000h, and you can add /p:8000, it will let the program start at 8000h, but the stackpointer will not change so you have to manual go to the comfile and change the stackpointer, look for opcode 31, more info on this one later :)

Ok if you e.g want to use the compiled code in non cp/m environment, remind that the compiler sets the stackpointer to F000h, this happends on the first jump in the code.

at 0010h (if you use an hexeditor) in the compiled comfile, there is a JP XXXX, follow that JUMP and you will find the ld sp,F000, you have to change that if you eg. try to use your code for a colecovision game, cause colecovision do not have memory at F000h. Remind that alot of the build in functions in Pascal is only available under CP/M, so you basicly have to create your own functions. So things like read keyboard, write to screen etc. will not work outside CP/M.

2 hours ago, CrazyBoss said:

Ok if you e.g want to use the compiled code in non cp/m environment, remind that the compiler sets the stackpointer to F000h, this happends on the first jump in the code.

at 0010h (if you use an hexeditor) in the compiled comfile, there is a JP XXXX, follow that JUMP and you will find the ld sp,F000, you have to change that if you eg. try to use your code for a colecovision game, cause colecovision do not have memory at F000h. Remind that alot of the build in functions in Pascal is only available under CP/M, so you basicly have to create your own functions. So things like read keyboard, write to screen etc. will not work outside CP/M.

Not sure the stack is set by ld sp,f000 - it could be set by, ld hl,(#0006) and ld sp,hl. So if you plan to change it you can just change to ld hl,xxxx (your stackpointer).

• 2 weeks later...