IGNORED

Super Mario Bros for the c64

Where's the rom?

It is still available on 2 of the four mirror sites from this link: http://www.indieretronews.com/2019/04/hot-news-super-mario-bros-has-been.html

It might be available on all, I didn't click each one.

• Like 1

Waiting until its complete to let the general public know was a smart move. The big N loves its trademarks.

I wonder if a smarter move would be to use all original assets and branding.. THEN somehow the Internet masses post about a "skin" for the game that makes it Super Maryo.

Nothing disappears from the Internet but these proud developers have nothing they can monetize. Nothing to make free. Nothing to discuss on some forums as sites will be afraid of attracting corporate/lawyer attention.

• Like 1

Well, there has been a WIP thread going on at Lemon64 for most part of those 7 years, so this port didn't appear out of nowhere, just that 70% of the people who read about it and might be interested in it don't hang at Lemon64 weekly or even monthly.

I don't remember if any WIP binaries were posted, but as long as you're only posting screenshots of what you're doing on your spare time and never post the final results, I doubt that is possible to prosecute in court?

• Like 1

Well, there has been a WIP thread going on at Lemon64 for most part of those 7 years, so this port didn't appear out of nowhere, just that 70% of the people who read about it and might be interested in it don't hang at Lemon64 weekly or even monthly.

I don't remember if any WIP binaries were posted, but as long as you're only posting screenshots of what you're doing on your spare time and never post the final results, I doubt that is possible to prosecute in court?

These companies seem to wait until the project is tangible. But, just the threat of legal action is enough to censor and squash a project. No one has lawyer money.

The smart money is to use your own assets and branding. Let the gameplay and tech speak for itself.

With the climate of homebrews that we are experiencing right now, is a straight port even desireable? Maybe for a game like Mappy that hasn't had a lot of home console coverage, but I think SMB has been on EVERY Nintendo system ever. It seems like it would be a generally better idea to build a similar game with some new features to move things forward a bit. Kinda like:

DK Remix for arcade

Space Rocks for A2600

Galencia for C64

D2k for Intellivision

Pac Man Collection for 7800

just making that list makes me want to play all of those games, but I don't really expect to have much fun playing a straight port of SMB in a C128 emulator.

Wow, even CSDb acts accordingly to the takedown. I would assume in a few months time, it might leak back to more official places, when the media hype is over unless Nintendo actively scans the entire Internet for new and reuploaded files.

Actually more like you can't see the links unless you are logged in...

• Like 2

These companies seem to wait until the project is tangible. But, just the threat of legal action is enough to censor and squash a project. No one has lawyer money.

The smart money is to use your own assets and branding. Let the gameplay and tech speak for itself.

This makes a lot of sense if you think about it. I'm sure all those big companies have legal firms on retainer, but they're still going to pay more when they have them actually start doing something. So, why pay big money to slap down someone that's just talking about making an unofficial version of your intellectual property and maybe shows a screenshot or two, but may never actually complete anything. You wait until he has something that's worth your time and money to go after before you spend the money to send in the big dogs.

A certain .org website has it available but I will not say which one as I don't want it to get pulled. I played it and it's cool what was done but it was just so slow sometimes. I would die trying to stomp on goombas and koopas that would not have killed me in the NES version. Maybe it was issues with the emulator I was using but IDK.

Edited by DragonGrafx-16

This makes a lot of sense if you think about it. I'm sure all those big companies have legal firms on retainer, but they're still going to pay more when they have them actually start doing something. So, why pay big money to slap down someone that's just talking about making an unofficial version of your intellectual property and maybe shows a screenshot or two, but may never actually complete anything. You wait until he has something that's worth your time and money to go after before you spend the money to send in the big dogs.

Part of it may be you have to prove brand confusion and losses. Once someone buys a copy or downloads version 1.0 there could be those losses and brand confusion.

I just saw a video where a big portion of cheats and glitches work. Maybe these guys copy-pastad the source and jury rigged the system calls. Re-using actual SMB code would be a bad look.

Note that I think this is sweet as heck and a great technical achievement. But, the way it was released with big N branding, very convincing assets and (possibly) code makes corporate bad behavior justified. This doesn't help the next fan game get cooperation from AAA game companies.

Note that I think this is sweet as heck and a great technical achievement. But, the way it was released with big N branding, very convincing assets and (possibly) code makes corporate bad behavior justified. This doesn't help the next fan game get cooperation from AAA game companies.

What corporate bad behavior was there? Wasn't it pretty much a cease and desist order? I wouldn't call protecting your brand and your intellectual property bad behavior. If some big guy stole some little guy's ideas and put out there own version of his work, then he sued them or asked them to cease and desist, no one would say he was guilty of bad behavior, but since it's the other way around, Nintendo is guilty of some corporate bad behavior? I don't buy it. Flat out, no matter how highly I think of his work or how impressed I am by his achievements, he knowingly broke the law. Nintendo is in the right here in every way, shape and form. I still think it's a shame, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

What corporate bad behavior was there? Wasn't it pretty much a cease and desist order? I wouldn't call protecting your brand and your intellectual property bad behavior. If some big guy stole some little guy's ideas and put out there own version of his work, then he sued them or asked them to cease and desist, no one would say he was guilty of bad behavior, but since it's the other way around, Nintendo is guilty of some corporate bad behavior? I don't buy it. Flat out, no matter how highly I think of his work or how impressed I am by his achievements, he knowingly broke the law. Nintendo is in the right here in every way, shape and form. I still think it's a shame, but it is what it is.

I agree. I just think this lessens the chance of corporate / fan cooperation. Sending a cease and desist is easier than figuring out a way to promote and encourage fan games. Basically, I think both parties could have adjusted their strategies.

I just saw a video where a big portion of cheats and glitches work. Maybe these guys copy-pastad the source and jury rigged the system calls. Re-using actual SMB code would be a bad look.

The cheats, glitches work because he took the original rom and reverse engineered the binary into his own source code.

Whilst the game logic is the same. He would have re-written a large portion of the code to work around the c64s many limitations and make things work in a different way, each system is different with its own unique strengths. The scrolling relies on a very specific technique to make it work on the c64 and he also would have completely re-written the sprite engine to handle as many objects as it does.

The sound & music would have been a challenge as well but the SID and NES APU can produce similar sounds.