IGNORED

Eggsavier's Cackleberry Rescue - a New Game For Atari Lynx

Igor

If it's a contest you want...wait until Monday...

So Monday has passed, time to launch the game and watch contest :)

Would be nice to have strong restriction, like 1-1 conversion of old game & watch game (no advanced sprites or animation) so that this is doable in just a couple of days.

I'm following strictly the structure of an LCD game watch for my idea, but it's not doable in a couple of days. Maybe I'm doing the game logic too complicate, but I don't want it to be too boring after few minutes of play.

I'm going to add a modern style menu and a highscores screen, but the game core will be with static black sprites in static position without overlapping. I'll add a coloured background that in real gamewatch were painted below the front screen and over the sprites. Mine will be below the sprites, but I think this is acceptabe.

For the contest post we have to wait that necrocia will get better. Currently he is ill.

"Find a way to my heart." sounds lovely. This will be the name of my entry.

I hope that the graphics to create numbers are allowed for a LCD game.

post-2099-0-29412600-1556117855.png

I could also switch to 7-segment numbers if this is a problem.

The rest of the screen is static - no moving sprites.

I am currently composing a sentimental, slow tune for the game.

A- part (3 repeats) |: Dm7 G7 Em7 Am :|

B-part | F Em7 Em7 Am | F Am E7 E7 |

The only problem is that the Lynx sounds pathetic compared to my multitimbral synth.

Is it ok to add an intro? Or should the code go directly to the LCD game mode?

Hey, seems like my Tabletop #1 collection from an old AC coding contest is not on Atari Gamer, so I could submit it again :D

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/251642-the-atari-tabletops-collection-1-on-lynx-rom-inside/

There is a solo Warlords demake in LED tabletop like and a Tempest in ugly G&W style.

In fact, I'm not really found of G&W games, so I will pass on this contest :D

Would be nice to have strong restriction, like 1-1 conversion of old game & watch game (no advanced sprites or animation) so that this is doable in just a couple of days.

You don't follow me on Twitter/Facebook then - I had health issues so didn't end up finishing what I needed. Perhaps this coming Monday, but all the ideas in this thread are automatically disqualified of course!

Hey, seems like my Tabletop #1 collection from an old AC coding contest is not on Atari Gamer, so I could submit it again :D

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/251642-the-atari-tabletops-collection-1-on-lynx-rom-inside/

There is a solo Warlords demake in LED tabletop like and a Tempest in ugly G&W style.

In fact, I'm not really found of G&W games, so I will pass on this contest :D

It is now :grin: - https://atarigamer.com/lynx/game/AtariTabletopsCollection1/247520954

Anything else I missed let me know and I'll add it.

The escape game I made 2 years ago in the same coding contest is also missing, but I never put it for download.

You would need 3 Lynx (with differents Roms), 1 Atari ST and 1 Oric Atmos in order to play it.

What on earth is this all about? :o Please make a video of it! :)

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx

I do still love those Game & Watch games, the reason why I haven't jumped on the contest is that I've made many small games over the years but now I really want to work on "Baron Lovejoy" that is going to be at least a little bit larger in scope. I think you are too much of a time optimist there LordKraken! :-D My experience was that parafly took at least a month to create (Main work maybe in a couple of weeks + then a couple of weeks fine tuning), and that was when I was still studying and had a lot of time on my hands. It's possible that using ripped resources from some gameboy game & watch gallery game would speed up everything by a few days though.

I'll add a coloured background that in real gamewatch were painted below the front screen and over the sprites. Mine will be below the sprites, but I think this is acceptabe.

Nice, I loved the "painted" backgrounds, it made the games look more colorful than they actually were.

post-2915-0-73725400-1556519224.jpg

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx

Eggsavier took a total of a few days' work to do, spread over around 2.5 weeks, if you have a good idea of what you want to do, this kind of game is quick.

P.S. there is no contest for these types of games :P

I cheated by starting from the xbomb sources. That saved me lots of time.

The bad thing is that I found bugs in the code and had to send in patches for the xbomb maintainer. Here I lost the time I saved.

As xbomb is GNU licenced you will get the sources for "Find a way to me heart" after it if finished.

• Like 1

Eggsavier took a total of a few days' work to do, spread over around 2.5 weeks, if you have a good idea of what you want to do, this kind of game is quick.

P.S. there is no contest for these types of games :P

Yeah, and those fast projects are usually the most fun ones. I think Sylvester took a little over a month (1-3h a night) and in size/complexity that game is probably the size of a G&W game.

Yes, there is the imaginary G&W contest going on! :grin:

• Like 1

If no contest, at least a dedicated post, just to find it easily in the future (and an admin should move the already existing post there)

For my game i started with no previous code, but now that I defined the main worflow sructure it's going faster. A month for a polished work (with sfx and music) is a realistic time.

But probably I'll have to slow downa little for family, my job and other ongoing projects.