IGNORED

Atari Dev Studio for Homebrew Development [Release]

mksmith

Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?

• batari Basic
    • 7800basic
    • dasm (assembly)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, Karl G said:

Actually, if you put the fixed score_graphics.asm in the same directory as your basic code, that version will be picked up instead of the one included with the compiler.

I'm working on a couple of enhancements so will pop that in if the next bB update has not been released. Might do that shortly ?

A new release (v0.3.3) is now available with the following changes:

• #14 [Done] Fixed clock tables for Horizontal Motion documentation (thanks andyjp)

• #15 [Done] Added region folding for 7800basic and batari Basic (thanks MikeBrownEmplas) Usage: ;#region " XXX ", ;#endregion. Code based on the #region folding for VS Code extension by maptz

• #15 [Done] Extended bank1-bank8 -> bank1-bank24 for 7800basic and batari Basic (thanks MikeBrownEmplas)

• Updated bB score_graphics.asm for DPC+ fix (TwentySixHundred/Karl G)

Update will be available via VS Code.

So the biggie here is the code region folding allowing you to collapse away and hide your code.  To use it enter the following:

;#region " OPTIONAL NAME "

code here

;#endregion

You can provide an optional name for your code section (entering anything after ;#region will be shown).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

@mksmith is there a way to update the studio to the latest version of 7800Basic? I had a look but I couldn't see a config setting.

Usually Matt will update to the latest and when closing VSC your extensions will update to the latest automatically.

Or if you're wanting to use a dev build you can manually set the path via File - Preferences - Extensions. Then click on the ADS manage icon located in the sidebar and set the path/s you desire.

-Anthony

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Usually Matt will update to the latest and when closing VSC your extensions will update to the latest automatically.

Or if you're wanting to use a dev build you can manually set the path via File - Preferences - Extensions. Then click on the ADS manage icon located in the sidebar and set the path/s you desire.

-Anthony

Thanks Anthony,

I think I might have figured out a way bu dropping the new 7800Basic distro in the compilers folder overwriting the existing 7800Basic. 

So far it seems ok, and my program complies with 0.7 instead of the older 0.6

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Muddyfunster said:

Thanks Anthony,

I think I might have figured out a way bu dropping the new 7800Basic distro in the compilers folder overwriting the existing 7800Basic. 

So far it seems ok, and my program complies with 0.7 instead of the older 0.6

No worries here is a screen cap anyway

aaaaaaa.thumb.png.f3f5fd1112862455b2ee3c9e530110f9.png

• Like 1

Thanks Anthony for the help. I will update this to the latest release very shortly. My daughter had state tryouts for basketball last night so only got a chance to see Mike's post ?

I've been considering how I could add a number of paths which you can identify and then select from a drop down. I have a custom version of 7800basic for Arkanoid but also want to use the default at times without deleting the path.

• Like 2

A new release (v0.3.4) is now available with the following changes:

• Updated to latest batari Basic release v1.4 (Windows, Linux, macOS)
  • Updated to latest 7800basic release v0.7 (Windows, Linux, macOS)
  • Re-enabled basic language completion for 7800basic
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Lillapojkenpåön said:

Do you know how to use xml files in VS code?

I don't know if this is the latest one, I remember a small bugfix but I can't find it.

Would be nice with an option to turn this on, if not than I would like to atleast try it if it's possible?

Hey! What does this do exactly??

9 minutes ago, mksmith said:

colors the different words, and most important the zeros and ones in the graphics differently so you can see the graphics clearly, it's like a theme kinda.

I've searched for vs code themes and found xml files before but I don't know what to do with them?

Edited by Lillapojkenpåön

3 hours ago, mksmith said:

I created a number of Mode Files for jEdit, they define Syntax Highlighting rules for 2600, 7800, bB, and ColecoVision source code. I also figured out how to colorize binary values, which makes it very easy to see the graphics they represent:

460236913_ScreenShot2020-02-17at9_47_23AM.thumb.png.0c6708e675667386b6a2f04d9eb51534.png

I used to have a jEdit category in the blogs, but categories went away with the last forum upgrade.  So I created an index with links to all the jEdit blog entries:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

I created a number of Mode Files for jEdit, they define Syntax Highlighting rules for 2600, 7800, bB, and ColecoVision source code. I also figured out how to colorize binary values, which makes it very easy to see the graphics they represent:

460236913_ScreenShot2020-02-17at9_47_23AM.thumb.png.0c6708e675667386b6a2f04d9eb51534.png

I used to have a jEdit category in the blogs, but categories went away with the last forum upgrade.  So I created an index with links to all the jEdit blog entries:

Ah yes - ok.  I'll see if that is something I can add ?

• Like 1

@Lillapojkenpåön

Due to the way VSCode handles highlighting (ie. seach, bracket matching etc) the background colors cannot yet be set (https://github.com/microsoft/vscode/issues/3429). 

A similar thing using the decorator feature (https://github.com/microsoft/vscode-extension-samples/tree/master/decorator-sample) might be achievable but that is a manual process scanning the document on edit - that could be a bit performance hit depending on the amount of binary in the code. The info is here now so I'll get back to it soon when I get some additional time ?

• Like 2

Spent an hour adding some new settings so you can choose either a Default (built-in) or Custom (supplied folder) compiler for each language (bB, 7800basic, dasm). I have a custom build of 7800basic for Arkanoid and was annoying to have to remove the setting to revert back to the built-in one. Would have liked to have some options to provide multiples but the configuration display doesn't really allow a good method to do that without lots of text boxes.

Also started looking at 2600 sprite editing - currently playing with the project selector so they change based on the console chosen. Next up will be the 2600 ntsc palette colors, then export to binary. They will be single color initially in this next release as I'll need to lock the color per row for stuff like DPC+

Hopefully in the next few days or so.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Since I've had to start from scratch on my laptop, I've reinstalled this. 64-bit support doesn't seem to be included for batari Basic for the latest version:

### ERROR: couldn't find bB binaries for Darwin(x86_64). Exiting.
Cleaning up files generated during compilation...

Also, where are the bB files actually installed on a Mac or other systems? There's an issue with someone's bB project (Text Adventure) seemingly getting compiled with an older version of the DPC+ driver, so I wanted to install and poke around to see if I could figure out what might be going on.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Since I've had to start from scratch on my laptop, I've reinstalled this. 64-bit support doesn't seem to be included for batari Basic for the latest version:

### ERROR: couldn't find bB binaries for Darwin(x86_64). Exiting.
Cleaning up files generated during compilation...

Also, where are the bB files actually installed on a Mac or other systems? There's an issue with someone's bB project seemingly getting compiled with an older version of the DPC+ driver, so I wanted to install and poke around to see if I could figure out what might be going on.

Hmm - let me check that out as I thought that was ok ? This error comes via the bB compile script so I'll have to play around...

Not a Mac user (setup in VirtualBox for this only) so not sure where extensions are installed but will try and find that out and put it into the documentation. I did have a recent report about Stella not launching due to security - in that case you need to trust the app I believe via System Preferences->Security & Privacy->General. Wondering if that may be the same here???

The other thing you can do is reference your own external version via the settings:

ads-bb-settings.thumb.png.fe5a826ae0d348265ec6d155c804fcb5.png

Make sure you choose Custom from the drop-down (updated feature which allows you to swap between the built-in version and a custom one).

• Thanks 1

@Karl G Actually what I've described is the new (0.3.5) release ? I've been testing.  Publishing now!!

Try installing that and see how you get on.  I had a quick play around on my virtual machine and it works as expected (64-bit). Will try and find the install folder shortly...

• Like 1

A new release (v0.3.5) is now available with the following changes:

• Updated to latest dasm release v2.20.13 (Windows, Linux, macOS) 
  • Added options in the settings for choosing to use the Default (built-in) compiler or using a Custom one you have provided (batari Basic, 7800basic, dasm). This change will allow you to keep your custom compiler path without having to remove it to revert back to the default built-in one. 
  • Removed setting atari-dev-studio.compiler.options.defaultCompiler as it is no longer required (didn't appear to work anyway). Compilation of a file is determined by the language chosen in the editor.
  • Added missing 7800basic keywords: shakescreen, spritesheet (tallsprite), rand
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I updated to the latest version, and I'm still seeing some issues. I'm having the same issue with it complaining about it not finding the 64-bit binaries. I believe this is something @RevEng fixed via the 2600basic.sh script at one point, but I am not seeing the fix here. By the way, on my Mac, the extension files are stored in my home directory at ~/.vscode/extensions/chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.3.5/out/bin/compilers/bB

Changing it to use a custom compiler worked fine for me (I installed the latest bB version from the Mac-only archive instead of the combined distribution that ADS is using). However, it still failed to launch Stella with a cryptic message:

LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed for the application /Users/kdgarris/.vscode/extensions/chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.3.5/out/bin/emulators/stella/darwin/x64/Stella.app with error -10810 for the file /Users/kdgarris/Downloads/bin/line.bas.bin.

After poking around a bit, it seems the executable bit wasn't set on the Stella binary in the app bundle. I was able to fix it with these commands as a normal user:

cd ~/.vscode/extensions/chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.3.5/out/bin/emulators/stella/darwin/x64
chmod +x Stella.app/Contents/MacOS/Stella

• Like 2

The issue isn't with the version of bB that ADS installs.  When I changed my bB and PATH environment variables to point at the directory where it resides, I was able to compile bB code fine.  I'm not sure why it fails from the GUI.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Karl G said:

I updated to the latest version, and I'm still seeing some issues. I'm having the same issue with it complaining about it not finding the 64-bit binaries. I believe this is something @RevEng fixed via the 2600basic.sh script at one point, but I am not seeing the fix here. By the way, on my Mac, the extension files are stored in my home directory at ~/.vscode/extensions/chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.3.5/out/bin/compilers/bB

Changing it to use a custom compiler worked fine for me (I installed the latest bB version from the Mac-only archive instead of the combined distribution that ADS is using). However, it still failed to launch Stella with a cryptic message:

LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed for the application /Users/kdgarris/.vscode/extensions/chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.3.5/out/bin/emulators/stella/darwin/x64/Stella.app with error -10810 for the file /Users/kdgarris/Downloads/bin/line.bas.bin.

After poking around a bit, it seems the executable bit wasn't set on the Stella binary in the app bundle. I was able to fix it with these commands as a normal user:

cd ~/.vscode/extensions/chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.3.5/out/bin/emulators/stella/darwin/x64
chmod +x Stella.app/Contents/MacOS/Stella

Ah interesting about the script and also trying the mac only release - I'll see if there any any differences.  As noted I does work on my virtual install of course ?

I can probably set the executable bit before launching - I also do some permission stuff for some of the files before compiling on mac and Linix.

9 hours ago, Karl G said:

The issue isn't with the version of bB that ADS installs.  When I changed my bB and PATH environment variables to point at the directory where it resides, I was able to compile bB code fine.  I'm not sure why it fails from the GUI.

As part of launching the compiler I configure the bB and PATH environment vars (so it can be located anywhere ie. custom) so thats a bit wierd...

Hmm... some more testing around the mac required... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mksmith said:

As part of launching the compiler I configure the bB and PATH environment vars (so it can be located anywhere ie. custom) so thats a bit wierd...

If you're appending the bB dir to PATH, maybe try prepending? I'm thinking maybe the old bB dir is earlier in PATH.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RevEng said:

If you're appending the bB dir to PATH, maybe try prepending? I'm thinking maybe the old bB dir is earlier in PATH.

I'm setting as such:

let env : { [key: string]: string | null } = {};
        env["PATH"] = this.FolderOrPath;
        if (application.IsLinux || application.IsMacOS) {
            // Additional for Linux or MacOS
            env["PATH"] = ":/bin:/usr/bin:" + env["PATH"];
        }
        env["bB"] = this.FolderOrPath;

this is appended to the spawn process. It had been working fine up till this point...  

The other thing - not sure but should I just put in the 64-bit version for macOS? Stella is already only 64-bit for mac - @Karl G noted above the clean mac only build did work when added as a custom buildin in the settings.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mksmith said:

The other thing - not sure but should I just put in the 64-bit version for macOS? Stella is already only 64-bit for mac - @Karl G noted above the clean mac only build did work when added as a custom buildin in the settings.

I don't think there are many Mac users that can run only 32 bit binaries at this point, and even if there were any,they could work around it by setting ADS to use a different installation of bB. I don't know if that would fix it, but it shouldn't hurt anything. 

Also, if it's only me that's seeing this, then feel free to not spend too much time on this, since I have an easy workaround as well. 

• Like 1