IGNORED

Atari Dev Studio for Homebrew Development [Release]

mksmith

Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?

• batari Basic
    • 7800basic
    • dasm (assembly)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

51 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

Have upgraded. The new version disappears/kills the output window when doing a build/run.

Unfortunately, this window is something quite useful to me - I like to see all the diagnostics from the build.

Can this be an option/fixed, please?

Hmmm - thats strange... will investigate.

A new release (v0.4.9) is now available with the following changes:

• Fixed issue with scripts (makefile, shellscript, batch) not activating the Terminal window
  • Simplified compilation of makefile, shellscript, batch files when compiling them directly

Sprite Editor

• Updated the batari Basic and assembly exports to output in bottom-to-top format and added a DPC+ export (top-to-bottom format)
  • Updated the export dialogs 

Thanks again to @Karl G and @Andrew Davie for your assistance and patience.  Apologies for the very poor round of releases recently - need a good kick up the bum ???

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A new release (v0.5.0) is now available with the following changes:

• Updated Stella to 6.1.2 (Windows, Linux, macOS)
  • Fixed order of command-line args for A7800

Sprite Editor

• Updated resize dialog to use new sizing boundaries
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A new release (v0.5.2) is now available with the following changes:

• Updated to latest 7800basic release v0.9 (Windows, Linux, macOS)
  • Fixed misspelt 7800basic keyword: 528k
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

A new release (v0.5.3) is now available with the following changes:

• Fixed issue with paths to Stella and A7800 emulators when extension path locations have spaces (vbauer)

Surely that is the end of the filepath spaces ???

• Like 4

6 hours ago, mksmith said:

Surely that is the end of the filepath spaces ???

I spent a while purging filepath space issues from bB and 7800basic some time ago, and it took me a few passes at the problem. Space characters being both an argument separator and a valid filename character makes these problems particularly pervasive. Worse yet that most devs don't see these bugs in our software, because we're used to making paths without spaces, to avoid filepath-space bugs in other people's tools. ?

Good job in cleaning this up! ???

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, kisrael said:

Thank you so much for this!  I never quite got the vibe of VisualBB but this is just what I was craving.

No problem - thanks for trying it out ?

3 hours ago, mksmith said:

No problem - thanks for trying it out ?

So I was gearing up to blog about this - it worked like a champ on my personal Mac, but that already had had Stella etc set up on.

To test things from a "cleaner" install I tried putting it on my work machine (which also had V S Code) When I click the rocket, I get an "Activating Extensions..." twirl for a few seconds and then nothing.

There's definitely a chance I'm running into some weirdness if my machine is "locked down" from corporate but do you have any advice?

(I'm not even seeing any error messages, but I don't know if there's a log to check)

Like it's meant to be able to install everything it needs from scratch, right?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kisrael said:

So I was gearing up to blog about this - it worked like a champ on my personal Mac, but that already had had Stella etc set up on.

To test things from a "cleaner" install I tried putting it on my work machine (which also had V S Code) When I click the rocket, I get an "Activating Extensions..." twirl for a few seconds and then nothing.

There's definitely a chance I'm running into some weirdness if my machine is "locked down" from corporate but do you have any advice?

(I'm not even seeing any error messages, but I don't know if there's a log to check)

Like it's meant to be able to install everything it needs from scratch, right?

Hi @kisrael,

No not entirely sure why this would happen. I did a bit of a search on google and didn't find much either.  You could try a couple of things from the Command Palette though (not sure the macOS shortcut but activate via View -> Command Palette menu):

• Developer: Show Logs... and select the Extension Host option - this shows the extension service loading process logs
  • Developer: Show Running Extensions - this shows any extensions currently running.
  • Developer: Startup Performance - more information about initializing

You can also look at my extension's log by opening the developer tools sidebar (available via Help -> Toggle Developer Tools). This will show what is essentially the Chrome developer tools window.  Activate the Console log where it outputs every function Atari Dev Studio extension goes through.

The one thing I do know is that there may be a requirement to add things like Stella and A7800 to the list of items the macOS will allow to run (app security??)

• Like 1

I will poke around later. Maybe I'll even enlist my GF's mac, which wouldn't have the specture of corporate policy possibly blocking it. (I really wonder if it's not hitting that "this downloaded from the internet are you sure you want to run it?" issue, but not showing the dialog...  dumb question, if i already had stella on the system, is there any relation between the two, or is ADS's stella in its own box and explicitly launched?)

On a side note, it's cool to have the sprite editor there, but is there anyway to get the keyboard control (specifically d for draw, e for erase) back? Between that and the way it acts like a regular paint program (i.e. if in draw mode, always draw-- vs a pixel program where clicking on already on pixel might toggle it off)  I don't think there's away to switch between draw and erase without "losing your place" by having to go click on the tool palette...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kisrael said:

I really wonder if it's not hitting that "this downloaded from the internet are you sure you want to run it?

Did you try the Open in the context menu? On my Mac if I double-click a newly downloaded app that's not from a known developer it does this:

648347989_ScreenShot2020-06-07at8_41_05AM.thumb.png.2fa9b268404a40520f8cba92dcbd609f.png

but if I right-click then choose Open from the context menu it does this:

1519741830_ScreenShot2020-06-07at8_41_22AM.thumb.png.8ed2b79746f9283171f99ad697124fee.png

• Like 2

@SpiceWare Thanks Darrell - that's the type of thing I was referring to. There is also I believe some things you can do in the Security & Privacy area to give more permissions to these application (unfortunately I not a mac user so my familiarity with these things is pretty minimal ?)

@kisrael You can erase by holding down the Shift key then press the mouse button to wipe ?

A new release (v0.5.4) is now available with the following changes:

• Updated Stella to 6.2 (Windows, Linux, macOS)
  • Added missing 7800basic keywords: songtempo, repeat

Mike has some 7800basic changes and an updated A7800 build coming along very soon so once they are available I'll do another release ?

• Like 3

So finally got some time to look at document outlining today for 7800basic (should be easy enough to covert over to batariBasic - will need to see what I can do for assembly also):

ads-outline.thumb.png.905aeb453b2fdf7e3e27b092ca8fe592.png

Currently it shows Bank, Method, Sun-function level (sub-function follows the generally assumed _functionName language standard).  Works pretty well if you sort by position:

ads-outline-menu.thumb.png.95ce5c66e1d65944666f22b5afef91fe.png

Should be coming in the next few days once I give it a good test.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kisrael said:

Poke around, and it just started working, so I don't have a good case to test any more :-D Thanks for thinking about it anyway!

Glad it's sorted for you!

Added some additional features on top of the document outline including Go to Definition and Go to References which really add to the editing experience.  These features will work for both 7800basic and batari Basic.  I need to do some more work to identify these things more by token/symbol but it does good job for most things.

ads-peek.thumb.png.d78bec2eff8f62bf0d3105bceaf81df3.png

• Like 2

Just now, mksmith said:

Added some additional features on top of the document outline including Go to Definition and Go to References which really add to the editing experience.  These features will work for both 7800basic and batari Basic.  I need to do some more work to identify these things more by token/symbol but it does good job for most things.

ads-peek.thumb.png.d78bec2eff8f62bf0d3105bceaf81df3.png

These would be so lovely for assembler code.... just sayin.....