IGNORED

Atari Dev Studio for Homebrew Development [Release]

mksmith

Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?

• batari Basic
    • 7800basic
    • dasm (assembly)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

39 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

These new features are fantastic Matt, thanks for your continued development of Dev Studio!

Pleasure mate! Probably need some tweaking as we go but it's a good start ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mksmith said:

A new release (v0.5.6) is now available with the following changes:

• Updated to latest 7800basic release v0.10 (Windows, Linux, macOS)
  • Added document outline for dasm (shows labels, sub-labels, macros)
  • Added Go to Definition and Go to References features for dasm
  • Further enhancements to Go to Definition and Go to References features for batari basic and 7800basic

I've also added a Poll to the post if you would like to identify with language(s) you use with Atari Dev Studio.

How do I use the document outline? My Outline window says "The active editor cannot provide outline information."

I've used ADS for all 3 options listed in your poll, and am happy with all 3!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

1699720643_ScreenShot2020-06-16at10_40_12pm.thumb.png.a65bae0b892d5b5422f95a772db27df0.png

Couldn't copy the text, so you get a screen grab instead.

That should of course be "type ads to short-list..."

Thanks Andrew!

4 hours ago, Karl G said:

How do I use the document outline? My Outline window says "The active editor cannot provide outline information."

I've used ADS for all 3 options listed in your poll, and am happy with all 3!

Hi Karl - it should just start working with your open bB, 7800basic or dasm documents.  Two things to check:

• This release will require the latest v1.46 for VS Code (I had to run a component update for some reason and was forced up to the latest editor version). This may mean the ADS update has not been installed. 
  • The appropriate language is shown in the bottom right of the status bar.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 6:33 PM, mksmith said:

Hi Karl - it should just start working with your open bB, 7800basic or dasm documents.  Two things to check:

• This release will require the latest v1.46 for VS Code (I had to run a component update for some reason and was forced up to the latest editor version). This may mean the ADS update has not been installed. 
  • The appropriate language is shown in the bottom right of the status bar.

Both of these are true in my case, so I'm not sure why I'm not seeing it.  I checked both with assembly and bB code. It's not an urgent thing for me, but I thought I'd note it.  Let me know if you want me to try anything or send any appropriate info if you want to try to track it down, though.

Also, on a minor note, I noticed that missile0height, missile1height, and ballheight were not highlighted in bB code (though player0height and player1height were as expected).

53 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Both of these are true in my case, so I'm not sure why I'm not seeing it.  I checked both with assembly and bB code. It's not an urgent thing for me, but I thought I'd note it.  Let me know if you want me to try anything or send any appropriate info if you want to try to track it down, though.

Also, on a minor note, I noticed that missile0height, missile1height, and ballheight were not highlighted in bB code (though player0height and player1height were as expected).

Hi Karl, 

Thanks for getting back to me. Are you sure version ADS v0.5.6 is installed?  The fact missile0height, missile1height are not shown leads me to believe the latest version is not showing for you - those 2 items where added in v0.5.5.

Can you start is VS Code and display the Developer log (via Help -> Toggle Developer Tools - CTRL+SHIFT+I). Then if not already open, can you open one of you game files and then see if anything is shown in the developer log - if something is wrong it should output some sort of error. Alternatively if your version is out of date you most likely need to ensure you have the latest version of VS Code installed (1.46) otherwise you may not be able to install the latest ADS extension.

ads-version.thumb.png.0a8f343bbd9087577f2c3093a56c6873.png

Just now, Karl G said:

Sorry - that was the issue. I was certain I had upgraded, but it was on a different system.  Thanks!

All good mate - glad its working ? I'm adding the missing ballheight (ballx, bally is also not there) to the syntax highlighting - will be in the next release ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A new release (v0.5.7) is now available with the following changes:

• Updated Stella to 6.2.1 (Windows, Linux, macOS)
  • Added missing batari Basic keywords: ballx, bally, ballheight (Karl G)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, mksmith said:

A new release (v0.5.7) is now available with the following changes:

• Updated Stella to 6.2.1 (Windows, Linux, macOS)
  • Added missing batari Basic keywords: ballx, bally, ballheight (Karl G)

Not automatically showing update for me. Do I need to uninstall/reinstall?

1 hour ago, Andrew Davie said:

Not automatically showing update for me. Do I need to uninstall/reinstall?

Hi Andrew, just make sure you have the latest VS Code installed (1.46 or 1.46.1). You can check for updates via the Help menu.

Just now, TwentySixHundred said:

Windows Defender has alerted of a trojan for some reason

trojanwarn.thumb.png.5263fe35d42afd0f40bceef9d1d59cad.png

I've seen those before on my machine - Mike believes they are a false/positive so i have been allowing them. I think as they are executing things the scanner thinks they are up to no good but not sure how we can get those fixed.  My machine is scanned everyday and is always clear except at times with these. 

12 minutes ago, mksmith said:

I've seen those before on my machine - Mike believes they are a false/positive so i have been allowing them. I think as they are executing things the scanner thinks they are up to no good but not sure how we can get those fixed.  My machine is scanned everyday and is always clear except at times with these. 

No worries cheers, yeah it found them twice on the 19th aswell. I must have missed the notifications and i haven't had them in the past since using ADS (when you released the extension). All good thought id let you know ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mksmith said:

Hi Andrew, just make sure you have the latest VS Code installed (1.46 or 1.46.1). You can check for updates via the Help menu.

Thanks. Got it sorted. Bizarre issue.

I tried to "check for updates" on VC Code, and it said it could not because it was running on a read-only file system. ??!

It then went on to say that if I was running on MacOS, then moving the program from the downloads directory was the solution. Well, I was unaware I was running from the Downloads directory. So, moved (not copied) the app from downloads into Applications, and it added a 2nd app and the first became an alias (i.e., link) and I could not for the life of me via GUI actually move the app from Downloads.
So, off to command line, decided to just delete the whole thing (VC Code) and re-download. Now I have the lastest, definitely installed in Apps directory, and it's updated Atari Dev Studio too. That was an adventure!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andrew Davie said:

Thanks. Got it sorted. Bizarre issue.

I tried to "check for updates" on VC Code, and it said it could not because it was running on a read-only file system. ??!

It then went on to say that if I was running on MacOS, then moving the program from the downloads directory was the solution. Well, I was unaware I was running from the Downloads directory. So, moved (not copied) the app from downloads into Applications, and it added a 2nd app and the first became an alias (i.e., link) and I could not for the life of me via GUI actually move the app from Downloads.
So, off to command line, decided to just delete the whole thing (VC Code) and re-download. Now I have the lastest, definitely installed in Apps directory, and it's updated Atari Dev Studio too. That was an adventure!

It does at times do some strange things VS Code.  Glad it's now sorted!

Unfortunately 0.5.7 is broken for me on MacOS.

When I try a build (either through my hotkey or via the shift-command-p menu ads:Compile Source Code) it just fails.

The error is...

1448082054_ScreenShot2020-06-22at9_24_35pm.thumb.png.f4048eb87a416f58c58f04e54388a9eb.png

Another symptom is that the status bar does NOT display "Atari Dev Studio" in this version.

The last working version for me is 0.5.6 (I reverted and it worked, then back to 0.5.7 and it fails).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mksmith said:

Yeah, the problem is that the anti-virus vendors are using too-short signatures to detect viruses, to the point where Hello World is flagged as a virus if it's been compiled with open source tools. The burden for too many false-positives isn't on the vendors, so they have no motivation to change their behavior. I've written about it before, but this time Microsoft appears to have joined the party.

There's not much a small frequently-releasing project can do to avoid it. One can apply to a dozen vendor sites to have your binaries white-listed, but my personal experience is the submission process is usually broken and frequently ignored. For the vendors that do white-list your binaries, if you make one small change to your code, you have to repeat the process over again.

The only reasonable position I'm left with as a hobby dev, is to just advise users that the problem is solidly with their anti-virus vendor.

• Thanks 2

Thanks for clearing that up Mike yeah makes sense and probably not worth the hassle reporting it to Microsoft as it will most likely fall on deaf ears. Not a worry i guess it's just a waiting game until/if they get around to fixing their method of using too short signatures. Cheers ?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

Unfortunately 0.5.7 is broken for me on MacOS.

When I try a build (either through my hotkey or via the shift-command-p menu ads:Compile Source Code) it just fails.

The error is...

1448082054_ScreenShot2020-06-22at9_24_35pm.thumb.png.f4048eb87a416f58c58f04e54388a9eb.png

Another symptom is that the status bar does NOT display "Atari Dev Studio" in this version.

The last working version for me is 0.5.6 (I reverted and it worked, then back to 0.5.7 and it fails).

Hi Andrew,

I didn't touch anything apart from replacing the Stella files but this build appears to not be running at all for you. Let me retry on macOS - will get back to you.

[Update] Of course everything works for me ? If you interested you could retry updating and displaying the Developer Tools log (via Help > Toggle Developer Tools which opens chromes dev tools in VS Code - ensure the console tab is active). This should advise any issues attempting to open the extension.

1 hour ago, Karl G said:

A minor request: For batari Basic projects, ideally ADS would not delete the generated .asm file upon an unsuccessful compilation. That file is often useful for tracking down problems that were not caught in the bB code.

Hi Karl - if uncheck Cleanup Compilation Files and check Generate Debugger Files this will leave the required files behind (both options are normally checked by default)

ads-debugging.thumb.png.5569fb16b115a03a9b2eb2c22fabe8bc.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mksmith said:

[Update] Of course everything works for me ? If you interested you could retry updating and displaying the Developer Tools log (via Help > Toggle Developer Tools which opens chromes dev tools in VS Code - ensure the console tab is active). This should advise any issues attempting to open the extension.

32175531_ScreenShot2020-06-23at10_41_14am.thumb.png.c0b3312fcac96c7e306c2097440d7826.png