IGNORED

Atari Dev Studio for Homebrew Development [Release]

mksmith

Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?

• batari Basic
    • 7800basic
    • dasm (assembly)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

A new release (v0.5.8) is now available with the following changes:

• Repackage to attempt fixing missing find-process package on macOS (Andrew Davie) 
  • Fixed issue where hover provider returned invalid content result (throwing unncessary errors in the developer logs)

@Andrew Davie Can you let me know once you get a chance to check this new build out ?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, mksmith said:

A new release (v0.5.8) is now available with the following changes:

• Repackage to attempt fixing missing find-process package on macOS (Andrew Davie) 
  • Fixed issue where hover provider returned invalid content result (throwing unncessary errors in the developer logs)

@Andrew Davie Can you let me know once you get a chance to check this new build out ?

Thank you - installed with no drama.

Thanks again for your hard work on this excellent tool!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew Davie said:

Thank you - installed with no drama.

Thanks again for your hard work on this excellent tool!

Awesome mate - thank you! Still not entirely sure why that package didn't install but sorted now.

A missing feature that would make a huge difference to usability is allowing you to click on an error in the output window and have it go to the line where the error is. The output of DASM is fairly standard. I'd love to see this implemented - it would speed up development significantly.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

A missing feature that would make a huge difference to usability is allowing you to click on an error in the output window and have it go to the line where the error is. The output of DASM is fairly standard. I'd love to see this implemented - it would speed up development significantly.

Hi Andrew, I can look into this. I need to determine a way to capture the terminal output - it seems a little less featured than a standard output window.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

A new release (v0.5.9) is now available with the following changes:

• Updated 7800basic to v0.12 (Windows, Linux, macOS)
  • Added new 7800basic keywords: paddlerange, paddlescalex2, drivingboost, mousexonly, mousex0, mousey0, mousex1, mousey1, drivingposition0, drivingposition1, paddleposition0, paddleposition1, paddleposition2, paddleposition3, canary (RevEng)
  • Added Build and Build and Run buttons to each open document (top right).
  • Enabled write state for A7800 configurations
  • Updated internal dev packages

Sprite Editor

• Added right-click Open in Sprite Editor pop-up option for .spe files to load sprite editor projects directly from the Explorer window
  • Fixed (hopefully) random/repeated file browser popups when using the Sprite Editor
  • Disabled the Show Project on Startup option (can cause the above issue and also affect the new Open in Sprite Editor feature on first use)
  • When exporting sprite images to file the active sprite project path is now used for the base save folder

Apart from the update to the newest release of 7800basic (thanks Mike ?) there are a couple of new usability features included:

Document tools

Each document now has the Build and Build and Run buttons available is it's toolbar:

ataridevstudio-explorertools.png.b643ae77a7fbd38a707b8aba652b7cfe.png

Sprite Editor

For those using the built-in Sprite Editor, you can now right-click on a *.spe file in the Explorer window and open the file directly in the Sprite Editor.  Please note that for some reason it doesn't always open the file on the first start of the editor (still trying to determine why) and may cause the repeated file browser dialog popup. If that happens close and re-open the Sprite Editor.

ataridevstudio-spriteeditorpopup.png.f5e2ca752a2d6336b2e4416d834ff677.png

A7800

I've enabled the ability to save your configuration changes (ie. change controllers or other settings). I want to take this one step further eventually and change the location where these are saved so they are not wiped out when installing a new Atari Dev Studio release.

Apologies for the lack of updates recently. Lots of other things happening around Millie and Molly, Arkanoid and 7800basic plus being stuck in covid lockdown is draining me currently.

• Like 4

This update installed this morning.

I can build simple programs, like the "Simple" demo, but my current project will no longer build. I get this:

image.png.753c90980934976db7b32c8abcc2f3b5.png

I found that I need to go back a few versions of my program to get it to build. Any help is appreciated. I hope it's something simple, because the 5.9 changes look nice.

I do not know how to revert to 5.8 either.

--Darryl

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RevEng said:

This one's on me. Looks like I accidentally nuked the pokey bit of the 7800basic pokey sfx player. Sorry, I'll look at fixing that.

Oh. I feel better now. LOL

I had to update to 5.9, because my antivirus caused an issue with 5.8. I added an exception for that now.

I did figure out how to install 5.8 again for now.

:)

Edited by darryl1970
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, mksmith said:

A new release (v0.6.0) is now available with the following changes:

• Updated 7800basic to v0.14 (Windows, Linux, macOS)

Thanks @darryl1970 for reporting and @RevEng for updating! 

Hi Matt! Unfortunately, ADS does not work for me on my Macbook after upgrading to 0.6.0. I get this error after installing, or after restarting Visual Studio Code:

1325099037_ScreenShot2020-09-01at9_10_48AM.thumb.png.c86a03306cbea29f638b3b72bb89f133.png

Choosing "Restart Extension Host" just shows the same error again. Trying to compile gives this error:

473278424_ScreenShot2020-09-01at9_17_19AM.thumb.png.8019034c1529e9a49ac79c3524b43385.png

Restarting Visual Studio Code does not help, nor does downgrading one or two versions. I had previously successfully updated to version 0.5.9 without issues, but going back to that version or 0.5.8 does not solve the issue. I can try uninstalling and reinstalling next, but I want to see if there's anything you would like me to try for troubleshooting purposes first.

Also, have any other Mac users upgraded to this version successfully?

• Like 1

@Karl G Could you start VS Code and open the developer tools for me (via Help > Toggle Developer Tools which opens chrome dev tools in VS Code). This should advise any issues attempting to open the extension.

VS Code really seems to be quite flaky on macOS - most of the past issues have been on this platform unfortunately. Hopefully the dev tools will show a missing dependency.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, mksmith said:

@Karl G Could you start VS Code and open the developer tools for me (via Help > Toggle Developer Tools which opens chrome dev tools in VS Code). This should advise any issues attempting to open the extension.

VS Code really seems to be quite flaky on macOS - most of the past issues have been on this platform unfortunately. Hopefully the dev tools will show a missing dependency.

That gave me the info I needed - thank you! It was a library pathing issue that was pointing to the wrong version of libJPEG on my system. Not your fault, and not the fault of VS Code, either. I corrected that, and all is well now.  Thanks again!

• Like 3

In my dotage I have somehow forgotten how I set something up in ADS, and I'm hoping for some gentle prodding.

I have my existing project (chess) which is all working fine. I'm editing an ".asm" file and hit option/command/B (which I configured via "code/preferences/keyboard shortcuts" to run "ads:Compile Source code".  Now this all works just fine, as noted.

Now I open a new project just via "File/Open.." and I see all my files in the new project directory I just opened. I see that ADS is active as it is in the status bar at the bottom. I have the ADS settings to build via Make.  But here's the strange thing - when I hit the build key shortcut whilst editing an ".asm" file nothing at all happens. But if I load the Makefile and hit the build key shortcut, then the project builds as expected.

Aannnnd.... I just found it, but will leave it for others to see/review.

In the bottom right corner of the screen on the status bar, it shows the file association for the file you're editing. In particular, in the old (working) project, it said "dasm", and in the non-working one it said "Assembler". So I needed to associate the "asm" file with the correct language. Once I did that, it's working. That is, when editing a ".asm" file, I clicked on the "Assembler" word bottom-right, and entered/selected "dasm" -- and all was hunky dory for the new project.

• Like 1

Glad you got it sorted. It is one of the tricky elements of a general purpose editor the file associations. 

Not sure if this is of any interest but Microsoft released a nice Hex editor extension recently:

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ms-vscode.hexeditor

36 minutes ago, mksmith said:

Glad you got it sorted. It is one of the tricky elements of a general purpose editor the file associations. 

Not sure if this is of any interest but Microsoft released a nice Hex editor extension recently:

https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ms-vscode.hexeditor

I'll check it out. The one I've been using is called "hexdump"