IGNORED

Atari Dev Studio for Homebrew Development [Release]

mksmith

Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?

• batari Basic
    • 7800basic
    • dasm (assembly)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I don't know what has changed, but now when I build with "make", it takes me two presses to get the build to happen. On the first press, I just see the normal new terminal message. On the second press, it spawns a new "atari-dev-studio" terminal, and does the build. This means that it keeps spawning new terminals every time I build, so I have to close them out every so often. This doesn't happen when I'm not building via "make".

Any ideas @mksmith? Thanks in advance for any help. 

Edit: this is on MacOS. 

1699169276_ScreenShot2020-09-09at11_07_43AM.png.1084870b47830f681b176dfdd8e7c151.png

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, vcs2600 said:

@mksmith I just installed dev studio. When I enter the Sprite project wizard there is no option for the 2600. Has the 2600 been removed from the editor? 

thanks!

Hi @vcs2600 Click on the Project button on the toolbar to change between 2600/7800 mode ?

• Like 1

Hi Matt,

My ADS auto updated this morning and now it seems none of my code will compile.

I get the message warning me about '7800filter' is not recognized as an internal or external command'.

image.thumb.png.36fc9cb54b3c8fc961fa906a5372d9be.png

I've not changed anything in the config, I literally loaded up and tried to compile. 

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 1:23 AM, Karl G said:

I don't know what has changed, but now when I build with "make", it takes me two presses to get the build to happen. On the first press, I just see the normal new terminal message. On the second press, it spawns a new "atari-dev-studio" terminal, and does the build. This means that it keeps spawning new terminals every time I build, so I have to close them out every so often. This doesn't happen when I'm not building via "make".

Any ideas @mksmith? Thanks in advance for any help. 

Edit: this is on MacOS. 

1699169276_ScreenShot2020-09-09at11_07_43AM.png.1084870b47830f681b176dfdd8e7c151.png

Sorry Karl missed this. It should only activate one window - I'll see what's going on there.

@vcs2600 This quite strange as the console dropdown list is pre-rendered in HTML (not dynamically built) so should show all items.  Can you confirm some things for me:

• Operating System and version of the extension you have installed
  • On the Project window does the Region (NTSC and Pal) and Colors (12 Colors + 1 Transparent and 3 Colors + 1 Transparent) dropdown show multiple items
  • On the Palette window does the dropdown show multiple items (NTSC and Pal)

You could also try re-installing the extension.

@Karl G Ok think I've got a fix sorted for this one.  The terminal is really difficult to access and control (very basic) compared to other windows - one of the reasons I'm having trouble trying to implement some of the compile/debug stuff Andrew has mentioned. 

I'll just need to verify the issue vcs2600 is having and I'm also going to add a check and note around compiler files being quarantined by virus software (affects 7800basic regularly).  I've got a busy work day but will get this up hopefully within the next 12-24 hours.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mksmith said:

@vcs2600 This quite strange as the console dropdown list is pre-rendered in HTML (not dynamically built) so should show all items.  Can you confirm some things for me:

• Operating System and version of the extension you have installed
  • On the Project window does the Region (NTSC and Pal) and Colors (12 Colors + 1 Transparent and 3 Colors + 1 Transparent) dropdown show multiple items
  • On the Palette window does the dropdown show multiple items (NTSC and Pal)

You could also try re-installing the extension.

@mksmith, I updated VS Code....before I uninstalled Atari Dev Studio I noted the version as v0.3.9 and after i re-installed i noticed it was version v0.6.0...which is odd since I initially installed Atari Dev Studio from the market place withing VS Code.  I am now able to see the 2600.  Sorry, this was bizarre. Also, not sure but my Norton internet security identified "bbfilter.exe" as a Heuristic Virus

My VS Code version is 1.49.0 on windows 10.

Version: 1.49.0 (system setup)
Commit: e790b931385d72cf5669fcefc51cdf65990efa5d
Date: 2020-09-10T13:22:08.892Z
Electron: 9.2.1
Chrome: 83.0.4103.122
Node.js: 12.14.1
V8: 8.3.110.13-electron.0

sprite_2a.JPG

sprite_2b.JPG

sprite_2c.JPG

Edited by vcs2600

28 minutes ago, vcs2600 said:

@mksmith, I updated VS Code....before I uninstalled Atari Dev Studio I noted the version as v0.3.9 and after i re-installed i noticed it was version v0.6.0...which is odd since I initially installed Atari Dev Studio from the market place withing VS Code.  I am now able to see the 2600.  Sorry, this was bizarre. Also, not sure but my Norton internet security identified "bbfilter.exe" as a Heuristic Virus

My VS Code version is 1.49.0 on windows 10.

Version: 1.49.0 (system setup)
Commit: e790b931385d72cf5669fcefc51cdf65990efa5d
Date: 2020-09-10T13:22:08.892Z
Electron: 9.2.1
Chrome: 83.0.4103.122
Node.js: 12.14.1
V8: 8.3.110.13-electron.0

sprite_2a.JPG

sprite_2b.JPG

sprite_2c.JPG

Ah yes - the 2600 editing was added after that version! Glad that bit is sorted now.

These files as open-source are often tagged as false/positives by virus trackers and it is extremely difficult to get these companies to whitelist 'small fry' products with few users.  If you can whitelist them yourself then all will be fine going forward.  As noted above I'm going to add a check to the compiler files beforehand to hopefully note this to users as the compiler will then fail with errors as the file is quarantined.    

A new release (v0.6.1) is now available with the following changes:

• Added new 7800basic keywords: drawhiscores (attract|single|player1|player2) (Karl G) and added code completion for item
  • Updated hover tooltips for 7800basic keywords
  • Fixed issue with batch file generating multiple terminal windows (Karl G)
  • Added compiler files verification with anti-virus note and consolidated file list with file permission check (batari Basic and 7800basic)

For those using the make/batching process I believe I have fixed the multiple terminal windows generating - the handle was not being disposed of (perhaps a recent change in VS Code). Also the very latest release 1.49 has added some additional functionality to the terminal window so I may now be able to do some additional things (we'll see).

I've also added a file exists check for all compiler files for bB and 7800basic so this should now help highlight that some of these files are now unlawfully! captured by anti-virus software. 

• Like 3

Hello! I noticed a really cool feature when working with dasm programs with the "atari dev studio" extension enabled.

Basically, when you mouse over a command (e.g. "ldx"), a table row appears with information about that particular command.

This is neat and all, but I was wondering where I might find a file contaning all of these rows. Thanks!

Edited by programmingEnthusiast

4 hours ago, programmingEnthusiast said:

Hello! I am wondering (since this is in the features list) how to "peek definition".

When mousing over a command (e.g. "ldx"), A definition can be seen, though I am clueless as to where a file including all these notes can be found.

Please leave a reply!

2 hours ago, programmingEnthusiast said:

Hello! I noticed a really cool feature when working with dasm programs with the "atari dev studio" extension enabled.

Basically, when you mouse over a command (e.g. "ldx"), a table row appears with information about that particular command.

This is neat and all, but I was wondering where I might find a file contaning all of these rows. Thanks!

Hi - thanks for using the extension!

The peek/goto definition/references doesn't really work for assembly commands only for your code labels but as you have seen the hover tooltip gives you further information about these instead!  If you want to see this as document in full, here is the actual file used by ADS (contributed by Mats @ SmallRoomLabs who provided the initial hover process):

https://github.com/chunkypixel/atari-dev-studio/blob/master/hovers/6502.md

Hope that helps!

16 hours ago, mksmith said:

Hi - thanks for using the extension!

The peek/goto definition/references doesn't really work for assembly commands only for your code labels but as you have seen the hover tooltip gives you further information about these instead!  If you want to see this as document in full, here is the actual file used by ADS (contributed by Mats @ SmallRoomLabs who provided the initial hover process):

https://github.com/chunkypixel/atari-dev-studio/blob/master/hovers/6502.md

Hope that helps!

Thanks! And yes, that's what I was looking for. P.S. how do you delete posts (I accidentally posted twice about the same thing).

12 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Hi Matt, im having an issue when trying to export a sprite. It's saying "An error occurred: undefined". It saves the sprite with no issues however it throws the error when exporting. Cheers

Thanks Karl - I'll take a look. Sorry mate you keep finding issues ? 

5 hours ago, programmingEnthusiast said:

Thanks! And yes, that's what I was looking for. P.S. how do you delete posts (I accidentally posted twice about the same thing).

I'm not sure you can delete them but all good!

3 minutes ago, mksmith said:

? Sorry Anthony for some reason I had Karl G in my head logging that! Sorry rough start this morning!!

Probably because I'm a high-maintenance user, so you assumed it was me. ;) Seriously though, the latest version is working great for me. 

• Haha 4