IGNORED

Atari Dev Studio for Homebrew Development [Release]

mksmith

Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?

• batari Basic
    • 7800basic
    • dasm (assembly)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Lillapojkenpåön said:

So the sprite editor can export those weirdo 7800 png's?

How do I open the sprite editor btw?

Yep! Easiest way to open is via to statusbar button ? 

ataridevstudio-spriteeditor.png.e10ae11164c97dd4b2032fb631b7a872.png

Once the editor is open, click the Project button on the toolbar to ensure you are in 7800 mode.

• Thanks 1

Hey everyone,

I've managed to add the export all sprites into individual png files (7800 mode). The dialog is bollocks for now but it works - just need to store the file name template. You set the filename for example as tile_ and it exports each image as tile_0.png, tile_1.png, tile_2.png (appending the sprite index). I've also updated the included dasm to the latest version.  Will try and get this out over the next day or so.

• Like 3

A new release (v0.6.4) is now available with the following changes:

• Updated dasm to v2.20.14 (Windows, Linux, macOS)
  • Updated Stella to v6.3 (Windows, Linux, macOS). Note: Linux 32-bit is currently v6.2

Sprite Editor

• Added option to export all sprites to individual files (7800 mode)

Apologies again for the terrible export pngs dialog - this will require a redo of the UI ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 5 weeks later...

Mine is stuck in the past.  Does anyone know how to overcome this? It won't update.  Says 3.0 is the newest available. I have even uninstalled it completely and installed 6.4.  But when I install it, I get 3 again:

VSCodeext.JPG.4bcf59cd24a3f1519af49ad0aea729b1.JPGNote 6.4 is found

VSCodeext2.thumb.JPG.a89c0c022f292f939365ae24026eaf1b.JPGAfter a restart and install of 6.4, 3.0 is what I end with.

Edited by Just Jeff

Thanks I did get it worked out.  I resorted to trying to uninstall VS Code, but it wasn't appearing in Add/Remove programs.  So I download and just installed it again without uninstalling.  But when I added Atari Dev Studio, the same exact thing happened, I ended up with 3 again.   But  I noticed a reload button at the extension area that I hadn't seen before.  I was aware of the reload requirement, but assumed it meant restart VS Code.  Anyway hitting the reload button took care of it. 

OK so it worked yesterday but today it stopped:

image.png.bdc3b39f496c29bb21f1dccdac166170.png

Uninstalled and reinstalled the extension  and it went back to 3.0.  It really likes 3.0.  The "Install Another Version" in the drop down assures me that 3.0 is the most current version.  Notice the 0.6.4 is grayed out when enabled, and the 3.0 one is not.

image.png.4a307490ed98fee57a23d7386e421e71.png

N

Oh yeah..  That's one of the first things I did.  I have made a little more progress though.  If I launch VSCode from my start menu, it loads the 6.4 extension.  Then, if I open files from within that instance of VSCode, they will use the 6.4 extension. 

If I go to my .asm files, however, and open them, it uses the 3.0 extension.  I've tried file changing the association to Word Pad, then changing it to the newly reinstalled VSCode but that doesn't work.  It will bring up the 3.0 extension.

• Like 1

Thanks I just tried it.  Still not right though.  Here is a screen shot of two instances running at the same time.  The one on the left is launched by double clicking the .asm file, the one on the right is launching from my start menu (see two blue buttons).  The one on the left is now showing 6.4 but will not allow me to enable the extension (see only one blue button).  And judging by experience, if I uninstalled and re-installed, I would end up with 3.0.

VSCodeext4.JPG

Edited by Just Jeff

@Lillapojkenpåön Thanks for jumping in and helping! 

@Just Jeff I think @Lillapojkenpåön might be correct here in that you might have two versions installed.  If you re-open the files as you showed above go to the Help > About menu and check which version is installed (looking at the pic again I can see the left one that the VS Code icons are quite old + there is an update to be installed bottom left). When compiling up extensions you have to set the minimum version required for the extension and as I need to frequently update things internally (the libraries used get flagged often with upgrades or security notifications).  Doing this also stops older versions from being able to the install the most recent updates.

Apologies for my late replies - my state here in Australia (Victoria) is finally opening up and we have been able to start catching up with family after 4 months of hard lockdown.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the graphics in the 7800 basic samples are one line taller than what's going to be displayed, and have one pixel of all the colors used in the graphic on that extra line, I was just wondering if that's how the color 1-3 gets decided, in the order they are encountered from the bottom and probably left to right, if that's the case it would maybe be nice to have a checkbox option in the sprite editor to add that extra color index line when you select the size, if that's even why that line is there?

Speaking to the 7800basic-specific bits of your questions... The color indexes are pulled from the indexes within the png files themselves, so it's up to the editor how that's organized. I'll let Matt answer for ADS specifically, but in gimp it seems to auto-sort them from transparent first, and then from darker to lighter.

The samples have the line of colors in the lower lines of the graphics for a couple reasons. First, if you have a bunch of sprites in different png files, it ensures that all of your sprites contain the same colors, even if the actual graphics don't in all frames. This means you don't have to re-order the indexes differently for those oddball frames. Second, it makes it handy to switch between your chosen colors in an ordinary graphic editor (don't apply to ADS).

• Thanks 1

Yeah, that can't happen, but it's easy to get fooled when you're sorting indexes, doubly so with 320 modes and their pixel pair limitations. If you're having trouble with a 320 mode, try incgraphic'ing them all with just "1" and see if you get a proper blob shape... if not then you're running into pixel pair issues.

Other than that, I'd say start with "0 1 2 3" as your incgraphic indexes, and swap one pair at a time instead, without assuming you just need to swap 1 and 3.

@Lillapojkenpåön unfortunately the index ordering out of the image converter doesn't appear to have a specific ordering that I can find (I've tried a couple so far). I normally build a little image tool to view and adjust the indexes to work that out. Still continuing to find an answer if I can as it is a little fiddly for sure.  Thanks @RevEng for jumping in.