IGNORED

Atari Dev Studio for Homebrew Development [Release]

mksmith

Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?

• batari Basic
    • 7800basic
    • dasm (assembly)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

12 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

Thanks for the update Matt, appreciated.

Love the mini pet :) is that the kit from TFW8B? Looks great :)

Yeah that's the one. Had it sitting there waiting for my birthday for 3 months which was frustrating but really enjoyed building it - worked first time which was a relief!

• Like 1

A new release (v0.6.8) is now available with the following changes:

• Updated 7800basic to v0.17 (Windows, Linux, macOS)
  • Added new 7800basic keywords: sizeof, hiscoreclear, player2joy1 (drawhiscores)
  • Updated 7800basic hover, contexthelp and completions lists

Thanks Mike for the update to 7800basic!

Well a week is a long time in the Covid world ? After a great 3-4 months of life returning to normal here in Melbourne (after a 111 days of full lockdown last year) BAM! we are back in full lockdown again for 5 days.  Amazingly the Aus Open is still progressing around us though - normally a great time to be in the city. Fingers crossed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Awesome, loving the 7800Basic and ADS update guys ?

Yeah Melbourne isn't having much luck with Covid.

Hopefully people start following the simple precautions, so the rest that do, can enjoy life as normal as possible.

Thanks Anthony! Mike does the hard work and we get to enjoy it!

Very much hoping we will be released soon!! 

The latest update (v.0.6.8) doesn't work on Mac, and doesn't show any error message. I had to install the older version.

Now the old version doesn't work, but yesterday it was working. When I press the button to compile or run I only see "Activating extensions..." message.

I've rebooted the computer and it works XD

Edited by swapd0
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, swapd0 said:

The latest update (v.0.6.8) doesn't work on Mac, and doesn't show any error message. I had to install the older version.

Now the old version doesn't work, but yesterday it was working. When I press the button to compile or run I only see "Activating extensions..." message.

I've rebooted the computer and it works XD

Fun and games!! VS Code still is sometimes a bit flaky upgrading extensions - v0.6.7 did update the internal packages which seems to cause this (one of the reasons I only do it every 6 months or so). 

Anyway glad it's working for you!

3 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

Enthusiasts have updated the Notepad++ language syntax file for the Jaguar BASIC/C/asm suite JagStudio.  It would be jaw droppingly awesome to code almost every Atari platform with one extension :)  Maybe the XML data in there would be useful for at least JagStudio code editing in Atari Dev Studio?

Hi @Gemintronic! That certainly could be a consideration but previously looking at other languages (compilers and emulators) to include the size of this extension becomes unwieldly big - way bigger than what really is intended.  The ADS core code could definitely be used to start a separate extension if that's something the team is interested in. 

• Like 1

I swear Windows Defender is giving me the sh!ts. Im allowing the extension to yet it's still finding the "threat" everytime i reopen VSC and try to compile source. Keep having to uninstall and install every time i want to code. Is there a way to tell Windows Defender to just not worry about VSC all together? Or is that just a bad idea? It's saying it's found three separate trojans from ADS. Is windows just guessing what they could be and blocking without actually knowing? Because whitelisting doesn't seem to be working for long.

20 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

I swear Windows Defender is giving me the sh!ts. Im allowing the extension to yet it's still finding the "threat" everytime i reopen VSC and try to compile source. Keep having to uninstall and install every time i want to code. Is there a way to tell Windows Defender to just not worry about VSC all together? Or is that just a bad idea? It's saying it's found three separate trojans from ADS. Is windows just guessing what they could be and blocking without actually knowing? Because whitelisting doesn't seem to be working for long.

I had this pop-up on me just the other day - the 7800basic false/positive on the compiler files.  If you go into Defender you can accept the file or reverse the block.  Not sure the best way to fully whitelist these files unfortunately mate.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mksmith said:

I had this pop-up on me just the other day - the 7800basic false/positive on the compiler files.  If you go into Defender you can accept the file or reverse the block.  Not sure the best way to fully whitelist these files unfortunately mate.

No worries, yeah just keeps doing it to me when i allow the file. Also it quarantines before i even get the choice so need to reinstall the extension everytime. You would think Defender would get the picture when i keep manually allowing the files on the same program, but no.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

No worries, yeah just keeps doing it to me when i allow the file. Also it quarantines before i even get the choice so need to reinstall the extension everytime. You would think Defender would get the picture when i keep manually allowing the files on the same program, but no.

Yeah true - some of these files will have changed with a 7800basic upgrade so maybe it sees that change.  Whichever way it's annoying!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RevEng said:

I don't have the details at hand right now, but you can tell Defender to ignore everything in a particular folder.

Might have a look around on the net so see how to go about it. Was diving me nuts as i just reinstalled ADS closed VSC for a moment then reopened only to happen again ? I can only laugh sometimes

4 hours ago, mksmith said:

Yeah true - some of these files will have changed with a 7800basic upgrade so maybe it sees that change.  Whichever way it's annoying!!

That's probably the case, it found 3 different files at 3 different times, makes me wonder why defender never found all 3 the first time. It's either that or it's randomly picking a file ? Anyway is all good i was just in a bit of a rush and wanting to throw some code down quickly while it was fresh in my head.

Edited by TwentySixHundred
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A new release (v0.6.9) is now available with the following changes:

•  Updated Stella to v6.5.2 (Windows, Linux [Deb], macOS). Note: Linux 32-bit is currently v6.2
  •  Added check for 7800basic *.versa files to copy file into bin folder 
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I don't follow what this one means. What are Versa files?

I think it relates to certain rom types but the compiler now creates versa and cc2 builds automatically on top of the standard .a78 and .bin files. The versa builds are for AA carts I believe.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is already a feature.  But, there's a new title screen editor out for Atari 2600 called Splash-O-Matic.  Any chance for integration?

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/318350-bb-new-tool-for-creating-48-pixel-title-screens-functional-wip/#comments

I think with the extra built in utilities VisualbB users are used to present they might convert faster to modern, jawesome tools :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gemintronic said:

Not sure if this is already a feature.  But, there's a new title screen editor out for Atari 2600 called Splash-O-Matic.  Any chance for integration?

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/318350-bb-new-tool-for-creating-48-pixel-title-screens-functional-wip/#comments

I think with the extra built in utilities VisualbB users are used to present they might convert faster to modern, jawesome tools :)

We can certainly consider this.  I might add a 'Tools' tab (which is easier now) to link off to these as a starting point and any further integration can be discussed ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi! Thank you for Atari Dev Studio! I use it every day! Not sure if this is the place for tech support, but I'm not sure where else to ask:

One of my most common problems is that the F5 button "breaks." More specifically--pressing the compile, or compile and run, buttons do nothing. Pressing the short cut key, the on-screen buttons, or calling directly from the command palette--none of it works. Sometimes I fix this by just randomly changing things--updating if there is one, restarting, variations on jiggling the handle. But I wish I knew what specific thing I could do to clear this error. Right now it's happening to me and nothing seems to fix it. :(  Any info, or things to try, greatly appreciated! 

Thanks! :)

1 hour ago, quohog said:

Hi! Thank you for Atari Dev Studio! I use it every day! Not sure if this is the place for tech support, but I'm not sure where else to ask:

One of my most common problems is that the F5 button "breaks." More specifically--pressing the compile, or compile and run, buttons do nothing. Pressing the short cut key, the on-screen buttons, or calling directly from the command palette--none of it works. Sometimes I fix this by just randomly changing things--updating if there is one, restarting, variations on jiggling the handle. But I wish I knew what specific thing I could do to clear this error. Right now it's happening to me and nothing seems to fix it. :(  Any info, or things to try, greatly appreciated! 

Thanks! :)

Hi quohog!

Thanks for using Atari Dev Studio.  There may be one specific reason using the F5 Key - make sure the source code tab is active before you press the button.  The way VSCode works it really requires a code window to be selected/focussed to determine which file/language is required.

The other issue my be related to VS Code and/or the extension.  Open the Developer Tools via the help menu and check out the log on the right - sometime it will show an error within the system.

vsc-developermode.thumb.png.34356bbe15b464ae695dc54721c20fc5.png

Thanks, @mksmith! I got it working this time by messing with my assembler path settings. It seems like something wiped out the path I was using. Since the path field was empty, it seems like the built-in compiler should have kicked in instead. Not sure why it didn't. Or why my settings cleared. (Would an update do that? )

I was frustrated that I wasn't getting any feedback when I pressed the button--just a dead button. But then I wondered if maybe some output was being generated and I wasn't looking in the right output window. Where would a message about "there's a problem with your compiler," go? 

Thanks again!

2 minutes ago, quohog said:

Thanks, @mksmith! I got it working this time by messing with my assembler path settings. It seems like something wiped out the path I was using. Since the path field was empty, it seems like the built-in compiler should have kicked in instead. Not sure why it didn't. Or why my settings cleared. (Would an update do that? )

I was frustrated that I wasn't getting any feedback when I pressed the button--just a dead button. But then I wondered if maybe some output was being generated and I wasn't looking in the right output window. Where would a message about "there's a problem with your compiler," go? 

Thanks again!

Where are you setting your assembler path setting (is that choosing a custom compiler..)? Generally none of the build VS Code setting will be changed by an update (accessible via the preferences).

As said to work out what compiler is required the required file window generally must be active otherwise I can't work out which language is required.  I might take a look at how that is determined - for example if the output window is active the F5 button won't know what to process.

The output window will show something if it can determine what compiler to use.  The Developer tools log will show something if the F5 is pressed as it outputs stuff from the backend to track (as highlighted in the pic above).

• Thanks 1

After some more fiddling around, I've found the way to fix it is to turn off this option: image.thumb.png.7c0bc5554694d1253f4b0afd09bfc5ff.png

"Preserve Code Editor Focus" 

Which is an option I'd love to have checked because I do want to stay in my code and not pop down to the output terminal every time I compile. But this seems to be what causes the F5 button to "break." And it's not just because focus is in the wrong window. I click back into the code window before I hit F5 and still no compile. No matter what window has focus F5 won't work, until I uncheck this option and then everything works again. Hmmm.

?‍♂️?

Anyway, that work around works for me. Just mysterious. 

• Like 1