IGNORED

Atari Dev Studio for Homebrew Development [Release]

mksmith

Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?

• batari Basic
    • 7800basic
    • dasm (assembly)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Here's the relevant part of the instructions on the first page:

Using Atari Dev Studio

Compiling your program

To display the available extension features press CTRL+SHIFT+P to display the Command Palette. From the command palette prompt type adv to short-list the available options:

• ads: Open the Welcome page
  • ads: Compile source code (Shift+F5)
  • ads: Compile source code and run in emulator (F5)
  • ads: Kill build process
  • ads: Open the Sprite Editor

In addition to this, there should be a compile and compile and run in editor icons at the bottom of the editor, that look like a play button and a rocket, respectively.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Karl G said:

Here's the relevant part of the instructions on the first page:

Using Atari Dev Studio

Compiling your program

To display the available extension features press CTRL+SHIFT+P to display the Command Palette. From the command palette prompt type adv to short-list the available options:

• ads: Open the Welcome page
  • ads: Compile source code (Shift+F5)
  • ads: Compile source code and run in emulator (F5)
  • ads: Kill build process
  • ads: Open the Sprite Editor

In addition to this, there should be a compile and compile and run in editor icons at the bottom of the editor, that look like a play button and a rocket, respectively.

Thanks! :)

• Like 1

Thank you for this wonderful tool. 

I am currently using Atari Dev Studio v0.7.1 on a recent Chromebook with linux support enabled (Crostini/debian buster). Batari basic programs will compile but Stella fails to launch and reports: 'GLIBC_2.29' not found and also, 'GLIBCXX_3.4.26' not found.

ldd reports: ldd (Debian GLIBC 2.28-10) 2.28

From what I have found in researching this on the internet, it is not advisable to try to upgrade GLIBC.

So my work around was simply to install stella 6.0 build 4667 by itself then launch it from the terminal and load the bin I am working on.  It adds a few steps but still gets the work done.

Just thought I would make the note in case there is some easy fix or better work around that I am missing.  

Thanks

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SIO2 said:

Thank you for this wonderful tool. 

I am currently using Atari Dev Studio v0.7.1 on a recent Chromebook with linux support enabled (Crostini/debian buster). Batari basic programs will compile but Stella fails to launch and reports: 'GLIBC_2.29' not found and also, 'GLIBCXX_3.4.26' not found.

ldd reports: ldd (Debian GLIBC 2.28-10) 2.28

From what I have found in researching this on the internet, it is not advisable to try to upgrade GLIBC.

So my work around was simply to install stella 6.0 build 4667 by itself then launch it from the terminal and load the bin I am working on.  It adds a few steps but still gets the work done.

Just thought I would make the note in case there is some easy fix or better work around that I am missing.  

Thanks

Hi SIO2!

Thanks for reporting - Linux can be a bit tricky with the libraries required at times. Maybe someone else might come across this so the info you posted will be helpful.

BTW, if you go into the VSCode settings (look under Extensions > Atari Dev Studio) you can set a full path to your version of Stella (Emulator > Stella: Path) that way you can still just press F5 to compile and run. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, SIO2 said:

Yeah, highly likely you'll break your box if you try to upgrade glibc in isolation. Pretty much everything links to it. If one is determined to take this approach, then doing an upgrade of your entire OS using it's documented process would be the best way.

But what you did - using your dist's stella and pointing ADS at it - is by far the easiest way to solve the problem. Great job!

• Like 2

I suppose this is more of a VSC issue than an ADS issue, but I'd love to have the working directory change in the terminal when I switch between tabs, especially for projects that use make. I'll often forget to cd in the terminal before trying to compile. I couldn't find a setting for this anywhere. Does anyone know a way to do this?

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Lillapojkenpåön said:

I had a break, how come the 7800 or 2600 emulators doesn't show up when I compile and run?

Are you compiling using a Makefile? In this case, you launch the emulator yourself from the Makefile. If not, are you seeing any errors in the compile output? It might not be getting to the part where it runs the emulator.

Did this work before? Have there been any changes on your system since you were developing previously?

12 hours ago, Karl G said:

Are you compiling using a Makefile? In this case, you launch the emulator yourself from the Makefile. If not, are you seeing any errors in the compile output? It might not be getting to the part where it runs the emulator.

Did this work before? Have there been any changes on your system since you were developing previously?

Yes it allways used to work, but I guess it was why I took a break.

No makefile, no errors, I've tried many both 2600 and 7800 sources that I know should work.

bB stops at

Moving debugger file(s) to 'bin' folder...

and there is a bin file with correct size and date that runs if I open it in Stella manually

I tried inputting the path to the Stella I ran it from manually, but it made no difference.

7800basic also stops at

Moving debugger file(s) to 'bin' folder...

Only system change I can think of is that I installed IntyBASIC SDK

I do remember this happening before when I was really low on memory left, but I'm not now.

I also remember that this started happening right after VS code introduced some "secure something??"

where you had to mark the source as secure or something? It has never popped up after the first time and I never understood it.

I also remember asking someone about it who said I had to mark the emulators as secure in windows?

I don't know how to do that and I can't find any evidence of that conversation taking place.

Hi guys! Apologies for not helping sooner!

Can you open the Debugger tools (via Help -> Toggle Developer Tools) and check the output on the right in the popout window.

It may very well be the new security thing blocking access to an untrusted folder.  There is some information about that here:

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/editor/workspace-trust

You could try changing this setting:

vscode-security.thumb.png.109a9f52dd9dd2ac243a08af1c8b509e.png

I believe there is someway to display your trusted workspaces (folders) but will need to try and locate that one.

I freed up some more space, uninstalled vscode, removed all associated files to completely reset settings and everything, and re-installed vscode, finally the trusted source window popped up again, and I clicked open, meaning it's secure and trusted, but the emulator still didn't launch, so that wasn't it, but my last desperate ridiculous attempt at right clicking and running vscode as administrator worked, never had to do that before but whatever, I'm happy ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, DanBoris said:

I am trying out this extension for the first time and am having a problem compiling a .asm file. When I click Compile I get the message: 

Starting build of code.asm...
The system cannot find the path specified.
Exit code: 1

I am running on Windows.

Can you post your source? Maybe the path that it can't find is referenced there? 

@Dan Boris Apologies Dan - my daughter's birthday yesterday so no real computer time for the day.

The issue may relate to the language being chosen by VS Code. The bottom right corner will show what has been selected. If it's not correct click on the language name shown on the status bar to change. If dasm is selected make sure to verify the Compiler > Dasm : Default Compiler selection in the settings is set to Default. If you choose Make then you need to configure paths etc yourself outside of VS Code.

• 4 weeks later...

Downloaded, installed, and playing around with it.  Seem really cool!

Potentially stupid question here – I’m trying to learn a bit about creating graphics to pass on to a programmer.  When I draw assets using the sprite editor, is it a pretty safe assumption that exporting them will be in a “usable format’ for 7800?  Or is that just my ignorant self oversimplifying things, and there’s quite a bit more to it than that?

On 10/24/2021 at 1:39 AM, ZippyRedPlumber said:

I compile my source (a 7800 game I'm working on,) it gives me a cfg, h & asm files, I want to make an a78 file. Help?

Hi Zippy,

Check the compiler log in the Output window - it's possible by the sounds of it the compile process is not completing thus leaving behind part of the initial creation.  If it doesn complete it created a .bin folder to copy the final build into.

15 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Downloaded, installed, and playing around with it.  Seem really cool!

Potentially stupid question here – I’m trying to learn a bit about creating graphics to pass on to a programmer.  When I draw assets using the sprite editor, is it a pretty safe assumption that exporting them will be in a “usable format’ for 7800?  Or is that just my ignorant self oversimplifying things, and there’s quite a bit more to it than that?

Hi Razzie,

Whilst the sprite editor is basic it does the job and will create sprite that are usable for 7800basic (I use it for all my projects occasionally skipping out to paint.net as well). In the end the key requirement is the number of colors (3 or 12), the bit depth (1,2 or 4) and being in .png format. I've also found using width boundaries of 4 (4,8,12,16,20,24,28,32 etc) and heights of 8 (8,16,24,32 etc) will also help.

It can at times early on seem at bit 'strange' getting everything to balance and display with color allocations, sizing etc but it does start to make sense over time.  I'd suggest maybe playing around creating some items and then load/display them in 7800basic will help.  I've created some basic tips and tricks here which might help: 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mksmith said:

Hi Zippy,

Check the compiler log in the Output window - it's possible by the sounds of it the compile process is not completing thus leaving behind part of the initial creation.  If it doesn complete it created a .bin folder to copy the final build into.

Hi Razzie,

Whilst the sprite editor is basic it does the job and will create sprite that are usable for 7800basic (I use it for all my projects occasionally skipping out to paint.net as well). In the end the key requirement is the number of colors (3 or 12), the bit depth (1,2 or 4) and being in .png format. I've also found using width boundaries of 4 (4,8,12,16,20,24,28,32 etc) and heights of 8 (8,16,24,32 etc) will also help.

It can at times early on seem at bit 'strange' getting everything to balance and display with color allocations, sizing etc but it does start to make sense over time.  I'd suggest maybe playing around creating some items and then load/display them in 7800basic will help.  I've created some basic tips and tricks here which might help: 

It's working now, my antivirus was being stupid. Thank you so much. :)