IGNORED

Atari Dev Studio for Homebrew Development [Release]

mksmith

Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?

• batari Basic
    • 7800basic
    • dasm (assembly)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, Krunkcleanup said:

I tried removing the score_graphics.asm file that was in the directory, and now it works.  I guess that was the issue.  Dang i really wanted to use different score graphics.

Could you post the customized score_graphics.asm? As an attached file rather than pasting the text, preferably. I'm sure we can get it to work. 

8 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

I can't see where you have included the 'score_graphics.asm' command in your posted source. As far as i remember with bB, you need to include .asm files in the last bank or the current bank used in your source file.

asm
 include "score_graphics.asm"
end

In the case of customized bB files like score_graphics, modified kernels, etc. bB will use a copy it finds in the working directory instead of the built-in version. No need to include it in the bB source file (which would end up causing duplicate symbols). 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I'm very, very late to this party. 

OG Atari 2600 owner, 4 decade software developer.  Just fell down the rabbit hole with the purchase of a My Arcade Gamestation Pro console.

Would love to try to build a simple game for it.

Do games from this tool run on the AGSP?
Any video or other tutorials anywhere?

Tool still supported?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, frny4x said:

I'm very, very late to this party. 

OG Atari 2600 owner, 4 decade software developer.  Just fell down the rabbit hole with the purchase of a My Arcade Gamestation Pro console.

Would love to try to build a simple game for it.

Do games from this tool run on the AGSP?
Any video or other tutorials anywhere?

Tool still supported?

Hi there!

Yes ADS is still supported with the latest releases of all software used to develop and test for 2600 and 7800 games.  I'd love to add some additional functionality eventually (better IntelliSense for both languages and additional 2600 dev tools such as playfield editors and better sprite color support) but otherwise this will be maintained ongoing.

Once you install Visual Studio Code and ADS from the VSCode marketplace (via the in-built Extensions Tab) your ready to start developing.  The front page of this post explains the basic process to create a file for batariBasic (using a .bb extension will sync the bB language automatically) or (dasm - this is not a user friendly process using scripts TBH unless you just want straight assembly and do the whole thing yourself). Once you setup your cart format and add valid code/loops etc, just press the rocket button on the status bar (or F5) and it will be compiled and if successful open the Stella emulator and run your game. Within your game folder a .bin folder will be created and contain your cart file - that can be copied to your memory card and that should be fully useable on your My Arcade Gamestation Pro console. I'd suggest starting with a very basic loop to test the process works on the console but using Stella will be more than suitable for the majority of your development period.

Good luck and welcome to the world of 2600 development!

• Like 1