Jump to content
mksmith

Atari Dev Studio for Homebrew Development [Release]

Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?  

62 members have voted

  1. 1. Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?

    • batari Basic
      32
    • 7800basic
      20
    • dasm (assembly)
      22


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone apologies for not getting the update out - my family had a very unexpected passing last night. 

 

I had just started some testing so not much left to finalise but it might be a day or so.

  • Sad 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mksmith said:

Hi everyone apologies for not getting the update out - my family had a very unexpected passing last night. 

I'm so very sorry to read of the news.  Deepest condolences and sympathy for you and your family.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My condolences too, Matt. Take care of real life... put this stuff aside and spend time with the family.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, mksmith said:

Hi everyone apologies for not getting the update out - my family had a very unexpected passing last night. 

 

I had just started some testing so not much left to finalise but it might be a day or so.

Just saw this after the private message was sent. My condolences also!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My condolences for you and the family mate. Worry about your family and yourself first as we're in no rush. Family is most important

Edited by TwentySixHundred
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Been a tough day for the family with my younger brother loosing his wife to an asthma attack. Such an amazingly happy, always smiling, caring person who beat breast cancer and lived life to her fullest. 

  • Sad 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A new release (v0.6.5) is now available with the following changes:

 

  • Updated 7800basic to v0.16 (Windows, Linux, macOS)
  • Updated Stella to v6.4 (Windows, Linux, macOS). Note: Linux 32-bit is currently v6.2
  • Updated dasm to v2.20.14.1 (64-bit only Windows, Linux, macOS)
  • Added new 7800basic keywords: deprecated (frameheight), hiscoreload
  • Fixed opening initial files via the Open in Sprite Editor pop-up menu in the VS Code Explorer (fingers crossed)
  • Fixed multiple repeated processing on events when using the Sprite Editor (think I actually got it this time - fingers crossed)

Hopefully this is the end of the damn multiple event processing (SE) and the Open in Sprite Editor pop-up will be much more reliable going forward.  I've given this a test on both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 64-bit but with my hard drive dieing recently I haven't got my macOS virtual environment working as yet - generally if Linux works I don't have issues with macOS but shout-out if thats the case.

 

Also I think we need a conversion around whether the extension goes full 64-bit as Stella and dasm have since moved in that direction and 32-bit will only be staying at the last available releases for that platform.  I've leave it for now but please shout-out if your still working on 32-bit.  I might look at add some messaging around when older versions are only available.

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mksmith said:

generally if Linux works I don't have issues with macOS but shout-out if thats the case.

I'm not sure if you were asking for feedback if it is working on MacOS or if it's not, but it at least passes the tire-kick test on my MacBook. Thanks for the update!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Karl G said:

I'm not sure if you were asking for feedback if it is working on MacOS or if it's not, but it at least passes the tire-kick test on my MacBook. Thanks for the update!

Ah good news!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darryl1970 said:

My environment updated earlier today, and all seems well! Thanks Matt!!!

Good stuff!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TwentySixHundred said:

I can't help but feel bad for asking about an update before, thanks for taking the time Matt. The work you put in for the community is very much appreciated.

Hey Anthony, not a problem at all mate - I actually hadn't seen there was an update at the time so was a good prompt for me as I do try and get them out pretty quickly when I can. Mike, the Stella and Dasm teams do most of the hard work for sure!!

 

I really enjoy helping out around the community as people have done the same for me.  Very much appreciate your support too 😁

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Guys,

 

Thanks so much for this tool - currently moving my dev workflow over to it.  Hoping to make use of the Sprite Editor to generate data tables for a 64-pixel sprite for use in a 2600 title screen.  So far I'm only seeing an option to export to .png - which I guess is for 7800 development?  Is there an option to export to .asm data / color tables?

 

Figured it out - I didn't explicitly create a new project, and it must have defaulted to 7800.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, h0trod said:

Hi Guys,

 

Thanks so much for this tool - currently moving my dev workflow over to it.  Hoping to make use of the Sprite Editor to generate data tables for a 64-pixel sprite for use in a 2600 title screen.  So far I'm only seeing an option to export to .png - which I guess is for 7800 development?  Is there an option to export to .asm data / color tables?

 

Figured it out - I didn't explicitly create a new project, and it must have defaulted to 7800.

Hi @h0trod Glad you found what you needed!  I want to redesign the editor eventually so that stuff can surface a little easier eventually.  I did used to have the Project dialog pop-up initially but that interferes with the ability to open a project from the file list (right-click pop-up).  I also need to add the coloring for 2600 mode as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Matt, im wondering if there is a way to have my 7800 projects open in 7800basic format. The issue im having is everytime i open a project they open default in batari Basic format. Even when i change it to 7800basic the next time i open the project it's batari basic again.

 

Not a massive issue although i have been caught out wondering why my project wont compile. Only after reading the output i notice that it's trying to compile as bB.

 

Im sure it's something simple im doing wrong, thanks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the ".78b" extension instead of ".bas" for 7800basic files so that ADS defaults to the correct compiler. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a similar problem with "asm" files in a dasm project.

If you look bottom-right of screen when you are on a file, it shows what the IDE thinks is the file "type".

Click on that type and you get a list of options, including an option to set the default association for the type.

I don't know what you'd need for 7800, but it will show the correct value bottom-right when its setup correct.

For dasm project, I just changed the association from "Assembler" to "dasm" and everything works hunky-dory for me once again.

So, once you know the correct association, maybe setting that as default will work for you.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys, yeah i had to keep changing it back to the 7800 compiler everytime i would reopen my 7800 projects.

 

Thanks @Karl G changing all my projects to .78b did the trick. I had been using the .bas extension for a long time just putting up with it and thought id raise the question. When i would start a new 7800 project they would default to .bas and assumed 7800 and bB shared the same extension.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Thanks guys, yeah i had to keep changing it back to the 7800 compiler everytime i would reopen my 7800 projects.

 

Thanks @Karl G changing all my projects to .78b did the trick. I had been using the .bas extension for a long time just putting up with it and thought id raise the question. When i would start a new 7800 project they would default to .bas and assumed 7800 and bB shared the same extension.

 

14 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

I had a similar problem with "asm" files in a dasm project.

If you look bottom-right of screen when you are on a file, it shows what the IDE thinks is the file "type".

Click on that type and you get a list of options, including an option to set the default association for the type.

I don't know what you'd need for 7800, but it will show the correct value bottom-right when its setup correct.

For dasm project, I just changed the association from "Assembler" to "dasm" and everything works hunky-dory for me once again.

So, once you know the correct association, maybe setting that as default will work for you.

 

The file associations are a bit tricky in VS Code as other extensions registered for the file type interfere at times.  Both bB and 7800basic both have a history of using .bas so big brother (.bb) won out in this case.  Need to work out a better way to surface some of this stuff for users for sure.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mksmith said:

 

The file associations are a bit tricky in VS Code as other extensions registered for the file type interfere at times.  Both bB and 7800basic both have a history of using .bas so big brother (.bb) won out in this case.  Need to work out a better way to surface some of this stuff for users for sure.

Yeah i do vaguely remember when you started ADS questioning about 7800basic and bB both using .bas as file extensions and how they would conflict. So ever since i have just manually changed after opening the source of my projects. It's good to see that changing to .78b works as a fix for the moment cheers 👍

Edited by TwentySixHundred
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could an 78b extension be added to the "save as" file types? I believe I have seen a 7800basic in the list once but I think it's only availabe when you open a 78b file, if you open a bas and change the language to 7800basic down in the corner, you still only have the option to save as batari basic.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2020 at 10:31 AM, Lillapojkenpåön said:

Could an 78b extension be added to the "save as" file types? I believe I have seen a 7800basic in the list once but I think it's only availabe when you open a 78b file, if you open a bas and change the language to 7800basic down in the corner, you still only have the option to save as batari basic.

Hi Lillapojkenpåön - unfortunately I have no control over that as it's a 'feature' of VS Code.  I just checked and it's strange it works one way and not the other just not sure why that is the case.  Perhaps it's because bB is registered first as a language by the extension. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...