IGNORED

Atari Dev Studio for Homebrew Development [Release]

mksmith

Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Which language do you develop with using Atari Dev Studio?

• batari Basic
    • 7800basic
    • dasm (assembly)

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hi,

I'm getting the following warning when launching DevStudio,

Detected:Program:Win32/Uwamson.A!ml

Affected items: file: C:\Users\.vscode\extensions\chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.7.1\out\bin\compilers\7800basic\7800filter.exe

I'm assuming this is a false positive, but this is a particularly nasty virus.

Any advice?

6 hours ago, Lavalamp said:

Hi,

I'm getting the following warning when launching DevStudio,

Detected:Program:Win32/Uwamson.A!ml

Affected items: file: C:\Users\.vscode\extensions\chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.7.1\out\bin\compilers\7800basic\7800filter.exe

I'm assuming this is a false positive, but this is a particularly nasty virus.

Any advice?

Hi @Lavalamp Yes this is a false positive.  If you can flag the file as ok you should be right.  Potentially flagging the extension folder might also save you future headaches once I release more updates.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say enough "Thank you"s to the team for creating this environment and toolset. I had been putting off installing this until I had more time. Now I do and all I can say is... WOW! What a great toolset built on top of VSCode. I was able to easily follow the directions and jump right in to development. Seeing my first programs running on a 7800 made me giddy. I'm hoping I can contribute something back to this little corner of the world since it has given me so much joy over the years. Thanks...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, saxmeister said:

I can't say enough "Thank you"s to the team for creating this environment and toolset. I had been putting off installing this until I had more time. Now I do and all I can say is... WOW! What a great toolset built on top of VSCode. I was able to easily follow the directions and jump right in to development. Seeing my first programs running on a 7800 made me giddy. I'm hoping I can contribute something back to this little corner of the world since it has given me so much joy over the years. Thanks...

Thanks! Very kind of you to say so! I so need to get back in ADS and add some new features soon - just been a bit busy recently!

Enjoy your trip into 7800 land - I love programming with 7800basic and hope you enjoy it as much as I do.  If you have any questions, pop them up in the 7800 programming forum and one of the many very helpful people over there will be happy to assist. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

A new release (v0.7.2) is now available with the following changes:

• Updated 7800basic to v0.19 (Windows, Linux, macOS)
  • Updated Stella to v6.6.0 (Windows, Linux [Deb], macOS). Note: Linux 32-bit is currently v6.2
  • Updated internal packages

Firstly the package has been flagged by Microsoft so may take a day to 2 to finalise and become available via VSCode (this happens from time-to-time) ? Package has been released. You can download it directly from here: https://github.com/chunkypixel/atari-dev-studio/releases/download/v0.7.2/atari-dev-studio-0.7.2.vsix Use the Install from VSIX... option on the Extensions tab to install.

Apologies for the lack of updates around ADS in the past 6 months.  It's a big project and I just haven't had the energy to look at it for a while.  It requires a reasonable update to bring in some new features so I'm procrastinating about doing it ATM.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mksmith said:

Apologies for the lack of updates around ADS in the past 6 months.  It's a big project and I just haven't had the energy to look at it for a while. 

Definitely no need to apologize. The project is mature enough that the lack of frequent updates is hardly noticed due to how functional it already is. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the file associations, I associate ".h" and ".asm" with Language Mode "dasm".

When I build (Option+Control+B), and I'm viewing a "dasm" file then the build works fine, calling make

However, when I'm on a C/C++ file, the language mode is "C" (by choice) as I get the correct syntax highlighting.

But when I build, nothing happens.  

I'd like to have the C/C++ files associate with a "make" as well, but I don't know how to do this.

I'm hoping that ADS can be configured to do this automatically, and thus better support CDFJ development.

11 hours ago, Andrew Davie said:

In the file associations, I associate ".h" and ".asm" with Language Mode "dasm".

When I build (Option+Control+B), and I'm viewing a "dasm" file then the build works fine, calling make

However, when I'm on a C/C++ file, the language mode is "C" (by choice) as I get the correct syntax highlighting.

But when I build, nothing happens.  

I'd like to have the C/C++ files associate with a "make" as well, but I don't know how to do this.

I'm hoping that ADS can be configured to do this automatically, and thus better support CDFJ development.

Nevermind, I found a way to do this.

I installed "makefile extensions" and then configured my build keypress (Option+Ctrl+B) to run "make"

I had to jiggle with the calling of Gopher, as the terminal window is killed immediately, but I figured a way to detach it.

So, all good now... single keypress build from C/C++/ASM/H file edits, which is what I was hoping for.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all,

A bit of a discussion has been going on here in relation to using Atari Dev Studio on the newest M1 based Macs.  Thanks to @Gemintronic we have an answer to that question:

So the basic advise for anyone updating the new Mac hardware is to firstly install the Intel Chip version of VS Code and ADS should work from here.

• Like 4

That's right, i was going to ask if it's possible to include Linux emulators within ADS for us that use Linux or duel boot systems. Im not sure if it's possible with the permission measures within Linux. I have VSC installed and can compile the written code although obviously the packaged emulators wont run. I have to run the ROMs separately for testing using Retroarch or standalones,

It's no big deal as i have plenty of Windows rigs. Just wondering if possible as sometimes im using Linux on my spare laptop when out and about.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mksmith said:

Hi all,

A bit of a discussion has been going on here in relation to using Atari Dev Studio on the newest M1 based Macs.  Thanks to @Gemintronic we have an answer to that question:

So the basic advise for anyone updating the new Mac hardware is to firstly install the Intel Chip version of VS Code and ADS should work from here.

This is excellent news! @mksmith Thank you for tagging me in! I’ve been itching to learn AB and now it looks like I can. ?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

That's right, i was going to ask if it's possible to include Linux emulators within ADS for us that use Linux or duel boot systems. Im not sure if it's possible with the permission measures within Linux. I have VSC installed and can compile the written code although obviously the packaged emulators wont run. I have to run the ROMs separately for testing using Retroarch or standalones,

It's no big deal as i have plenty of Windows rigs. Just wondering if possible as sometimes im using Linux on my spare laptop when out and about.

Hey mate - hope your well!  These linux packages tend to either come as a single universal?? package (x84 and/or x64) or if available I generally choose the .Deb release.  Which linux are you using? I stick with Ubuntu when I get around to testing them out.  Depending on the emulator I just need to determine with package to launch.

• Like 1

A new release (v0.7.3) is now available with the following changes:

• Updated A7800 to v5.0 (Windows, Linux, macOS)
  • Added additional A7800 machine target configuration selections to the settings (a7800dev & a7800pdev)
  • Updated 7800basic keyword and hover lists
  • Reviewed 6502 hover list

Apologies again for not putting much time into ADS the past period - real life is still currently flat out.  Don't have a lot of time to code anything just ATM unfortunately ?

[Update] the marketplace is again taking it's sweet time to verify so feel free to install via the github packnge if your keen: https://github.com/chunkypixel/atari-dev-studio/releases/tag/v0.7.3

• Like 3

Hi Matt, im doing well much in the same boat where real life is taking the priority at the moment.

Yes i should have stated im on Ubuntu using Visual Studio Code - Insiders from the Ubuntu store.

I am getting this output error when trying to compile and run.

Launching A7800 emulator...
/home/anthony/.vscode-insiders/extensions/chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.7.2/out/bin/emulators/a7800/a7800.Linux: error while loading shared libraries: libQt5Widgets.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Exit code: 127

It could be something im overlooking as everyday is a learning curve with Linux :)

Thanks for all the work you put into the ADS extension.

-Anthony

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TwentySixHundred said:

Hi Matt, im doing well much in the same boat where real life is taking the priority at the moment.

Yes i should have stated im on Ubuntu using Visual Studio Code - Insiders from the Ubuntu store.

I am getting this output error when trying to compile and run.

Launching A7800 emulator...
/home/anthony/.vscode-insiders/extensions/chunkypixel.atari-dev-studio-0.7.2/out/bin/emulators/a7800/a7800.Linux: error while loading shared libraries: libQt5Widgets.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Exit code: 127

It could be something im overlooking as everyday is a learning curve with Linux :)

Thanks for all the work you put into the ADS extension.

-Anthony

Looks like your missing that library from Ubuntu. I'll need to check which one and will get back to you over the weekend at some stage.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, mksmith said:

Looks like your missing that library from Ubuntu. I'll need to check which one and will get back to you over the weekend at some stage.

Thanks Matt the generic 'get' command worked.

Then was missing another...

libsdl2-ttf-2.0-0

That worked!

So i searched as to why im missing these libraries and apparently i needed some Debian libraries that aren't included with Ubuntu. All good though it's working now :)

Thanks for the help mate it pointed me in the right direction ?

• Like 1

Hello to all ,

Impressed about nice production on Atari 2600 and 7800 range . My very first console , and keep it in heart .

I have a request , my first playing game was Missile Command , and I look for the original SFX , for make a portage to an another computer , for my pleasure and nostalgia. :)

I am looking for the SFX in possible use format for me : .ASC ,.PT1, .PT2 , .PT3 (protracker range) , .STP, .SQT, .FTC , .PSM     :)

Only SFX for this game I found were only in MP3 ....

thanks in advance for your returns and help !!!

greetings :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A new release (v0.7.4) is now available with the following changes:

• Updated internal packages (requires VS Code v1.66.0 or better)
  • Updated A7800 to v5.1 (Windows, Linux, macOS)

Apologies as the previous package failed to twice update (through what appears to be a account conflict via my multiple work and home Microsoft accounts) and I just hadn't had time to look at it again (can't believe another month has already passed ?). But this one has already been accepted so should be coming through VS Code next time your start ?

Thanks again to @RevEng and @Trebor for the amazing work they have dome on A7800 around the pokey - been lucky to have a few sneak peeks due to the PETSCII project and wow playback sounds amazing now!  Well done gents!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• 1 month later...

I'm working on 1942-bB and just switched from my Win7 pc to my Intel Mac with Catalina 10.15.7... (running AtariDevStudio 0.7.4 on both)... and can't seem to get bBasic to compile:

Spoiler
Verifying compiler files exist...
Verifying file permissions...
Found dasm version: DASM 2.20.13
Starting build of 1942 HSC.bas

batari Basic v1.5 (c)2020
User-defined banksw.asm found in the current directory
2600 Basic compilation complete.
User-defined multisprite_kernel.asm found in current directory
User-defined score_graphics.asm found in current directory
User-defined banksw.asm found in current directory
User-defined 2600basicfooter.asm found in current directory
DASM 2.20.13
Copyright (c) 1988-2020 by the DASM team.
License GPLv2+: GNU GPL version 2 or later (see file LICENSE).
DASM is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Usage: dasm sourcefile [options]

-f# output format 1-3 (default 1)
-oname output file name (else a.out)
-lname list file name (else none generated)
-Lname list file, containing all passes
-sname symbol dump file name (else none generated)
-v# verboseness 0-4 (default 0)
-d debug mode (for developers)
-Dsymbol define symbol, set to 0
-Dsymbol=expression define symbol, set to expression
-Msymbol=expression define symbol using EQM (same as -D)
-Idir search directory for INCLUDE and INCBIN
-p# maximum number of passes
-P# maximum number of passes, with fewer checks
-T# symbol table sorting (default 0 = alphabetical, 1 = address/value)
-E# error format (default 0 = MS, 1 = Dillon, 2 = GNU)
-S strict syntax checking

Fatal assembly error: Check command-line format.

Build complete.

Exit code: 1
Cleaning up files generated during compilation...

Anyone got any ideas on what the issue could be?

@splendidnut Hey mate - firstly very nice job with 1942!

First thing can I suggest if you can re-install the extension (if you haven't already tried that of course).

Next up if you can try opening the Developer Tools (Help -> Toggle Developer Tools) and then retry compiling your project.  I log every step into the debugger so it may show something else that is going wronging.

Also if you have a small, very simple project - can you try compiling that as well. I think from reading your post about the project you may have a few custom modules so just trying to rule that out as a problem. 

Oh, I can't accept any credit for 1942... I haven't really done any work on the project as I've only just started looking at the project this weekend.  All credit should go to @homerhomer , @Al_Nafuur and @Pat Brady as they've done a tremendous job on it so far.

I tried reinstalling the extension (that didn't work) and I just tried using the Developer Tools to look at the console log, but that didn't really tell me much more than what is shown in the output window.

I just tried ChaoticGrill (a big DASM project) and that successfully built and launched without issue.  

1942 is the first bBasic project I've looked at working on/building (which I did succeed with building on the Win7 machine)... so I'm not really certain of what the build process is and where to look for issues.