IGNORED

why I hate commodore 64

mika

yawn, looks like with all the commodore threads in the Atari areas there is an active concerted push to try to get folks over to that platform... must be a recruitment drive to get fresh blood into their stale and often crazy cadre....

I really wish all the commodore threads would be in the commodore section provided to/for them...

Now if it were about porting the game to Atari that would change everything... but that's not what any of these seem to be about....

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 5

yawn, looks like with all the commodore threads in the Atari areas there is an active concerted push to try to get folks over to that platform... must be a recruitment drive to get fresh blood into their stale and often crazy cadre....

I really wish all the commodore threads would be in the commodore section provided to/for them...

Now if it were about porting the game to Atari that would change everything... but that's not what any of these seem to be about....

Yeah, what the hell is up with that "What about the Commodore Community" thread? How does someone NOT know? I can't manage to avoid it while trying to find information on the Atari.

• Like 4

sorry, not meant to upset anyone and the last thing I would want to do is try to push folks to get over to c64!

honest jealousy and wish that someone ported SMB to 8-bit Atari instead of them doing it on commodore.

• Like 5

Or maybe we can just stop drawing artificial lines between retro computing fandoms and just all enjoy these old machines for the classics they are?

That said, I'd love to see an Atari port of this. Sometimes it takes one person doing this to inspire other computer groups to do the same.

• Like 11

Or maybe we can put the endless threads into a general thread or commodore thread.... why is it always posted in Atari 8 section of the forums....

mind you op now states he would like a port in this instance, but that is not where the majority of these threads are going.

Just makes sense that if I want a commie conversation I go to the commodore threads/forums/sections. When I want Atari go to Atari, when I want both I go to a general or crossover thread/forum.

I mean if it is artificial... then call it 'retro age free for all' and have one big singular thread.... it's not about fandom, it's about the number of threads that have very little to nothing at all to do with the Atari 8 that pops up. AS WAS STATED, talk of a port and doing it would be fine, but then again it might be converting from the NES, with examples from other platforms to help get it done.

Happy times

• Like 3

Another scrolling game with sprites....

well, not just 'another' - historically it's the most important of them all. landmark, really - in videogaming. that's why it doesn't bring a shame to any platform to be able to run it's port, even if technically illegal.

• Like 2

well, not just 'another' - historically it's the most important of them all. landmark, really - in videogaming. that's why it doesn't bring a shame to any platform to be able to run it's port, even if technically illegal.

You shouldn't forget that the Atari is a 70's Machine. Atari never upgraded relevant parts. Some coders did well arrangements to the Hardware, but it very often "failed" by the view of the customers.

Particular Green Beret and Rampage show the machine's standard hardware options.

You could do such games simply by using that solution.

The 8 real "Sprites" on the C64 allow options that would make the Atari needing 8Mhz CPU clocking.

It's just like doing a bunch of some Pokes, if you want to have a small Jump and Run Game on the C64.

The same type of Pokes changes the horizontal position of a player and makes the screen shaking and wobbling, mirroring... but those nifty "free" to move sprites are not in that package.

Edited by emkay
  • Like 1

Just for fun, I logged into Lemon64 and made a search for Atari. About once a year, someone posts or comments to a thread that has Atari in its name. Sometimes people mention Atari in the passing, but nobody seems particularly hateful, envious or other strong feelings about the Atari 8-bit computers.

Possibly some of those who posted C64 related threads here recently are trolls trying to drum up some strong feelings, I'm not sure?

ok, I cannot delete my topic, or change its name.

sorry, maybe got too excited - only because I love original SMB, and i really think it's cool that c64 version was created. just thought it's quite big news (judging from the reactions on the web), that somehow borders on relevance also on this forum.

but I also now understood from emkay's post, that this kind of port would not be viable for 8bit Atari. I didn't fully realised this real sprite difference, so thanks for explaing this.

and for all those irritated above - sorry. i didn't have intentions to annoy anyone, but now see how I did.

edit: also, please note that the topic name was meant to be ironic.

Edited by mika

Just for fun, I logged into Lemon64 and made a search for Atari. About once a year, someone posts or comments to a thread that has Atari in its name. Sometimes people mention Atari in the passing, but nobody seems particularly hateful, envious or other strong feelings about the Atari 8-bit computers.

Possibly some of those who posted C64 related threads here recently are trolls trying to drum up some strong feelings, I'm not sure?

There are plenty of ZX bashing threads though. Most of the users on lemon are U.K based where there was bitter rivalry between Commodore and Spectrum or Amstrad CPC users. Every other system was irrelevant.

sorry, maybe got too excited - only because I love original SMB, and i really think it's cool that c64 version was created. just thought it's quite big news (judging from the reactions on the web), that somehow borders on relevance also on this forum.

but I also now understood from emkay's post, that this kind of port would not be viable for 8bit Atari. I didn't fully realised this real sprite difference, so thanks for explaing this.

and for all those irritated above - sorry. i didn't have intentions to annoy anyone, but now see how I did.

Please ignore emkay. If you want to see beautiful soft-sprites, look at the game Atari Blast. Properly designed late 70's chips are more capable than some early 80's poorly designed chips. I like to hear pokey emulating sid better than the sid in the commie.

Commode Door 64.

post-13040-0-19413300-1555721128.png

:)

Rampant fanboyism on either side is just as annoying. Each machine has its strengths and weaknesses and pretending otherwise makes me feel like a 43 year old throwback to myself at 6 years old on the playground. Pitiful.

• Like 15

Please ignore emkay. If you want to see beautiful soft-sprites, look at the game Atari Blast. Properly designed late 70's chips are more capable than some early 80's poorly designed chips. I like to hear pokey emulating sid better than the sid in the commie.

Commode Door 64.

attachicon.gifToiletC64.png

:)

I usually do ignore emkay..........

Thank you... Sincerely... THANK YOU... for pulling the Commode joke. It's been far too long.... and I'm stealing that graphic. (Yeah, I did finally acquire a C128, but still....... It's a classic vintage retro diss......).

(*high-five*)...

• Like 2

Rampant fanboyism on either side is just as annoying. Each machine has its strengths and weaknesses and pretending otherwise makes me feel like a 43 year old throwback to myself at 6 years old on the playground. Pitiful.

In small doses, it can still be fun. As long as we realize at the end of the day the war is long over.

I mean, I have Apples and Timex Sinclairs and even a Commodore... and I enjoy them... (Well, not the Commodore, but only because it's a newer acquisition and I just haven't had time, but I plan to really enjoy it soon).

Now, it's more like sports fan talk. Trash talk during the game.... then drink beer.

Please, everyone, don't take it too seriously... otherwise, you're the judgemental prick bringing everyone down (not suggesting anyone falls into this arena yet, I'm speaking more abstractly.....)

Edited by Tillek
  • Like 3

I'm not a C64 hater or basher, in fact, I'm planning on getting one. (of course I still prefer Atari and believe it's a better over-all machine), But I agree with _The Doctor_, this is an Atari forum and unless there is some sort of relevance to Atari like a port either way or anything that makes it Atari relevant, otherwise it belongs in the C64 sub-forum or C64 site.

• Like 2

I think the Atari 8bit has some promise. These are some pretty impressive Super Mario Bros. demos that were done some time ago.

post-29261-0-12308600-1555726561.jpg

post-29261-0-22297500-1555726568.jpg

main.xex

Super Mario (PAL-Blending)PAL.xex

Super Mario (Probe).xex

Super Mario 3 PAL (1).atr

• Like 4