IGNORED

why I hate commodore 64

mika

hmmm, I bet with slight re-coding that games could be made just as you describe, what I would love to see is a hack by yourself or someone you've collaborated with doing just that and fixing up or adding cool things with the extra cycles or event making such games even more responsive. Sound like the cycles might even be used for better sounds or music or both.

I'm really interested in seeing these done, seeing it would sure help make hearts and even minds understand.

Hmm... yes. The more in cycles eventually could allow to use digi sounds.

Having ported Dropzone to the 5200 (and had a good look at IK) I can assure you that he's closer than a lot of us, yet we can still aspire ;)

Yeah. The relevant parts run at a very high achieved level, so my mistakes weren't relevant for the thread. But they show that there are some parts available for optimizing.

In Star Trek the misuse of the ANTIC Mode is more relevant, as the zoom could run really fluent. Yes, it is clearly faster than on the C64, but it could have been smooth as silk ;)

Easy solution to the Nintendon't litigation problem:

QUIETLY Write, test, perfect your clone game, then release it anonymously as a torrent on The Pirate Bay. After it is out, then report here on what you 'found'.

Those dumb asses can't prove anything. There's nothing they can do to stop us!

:)

• Like 4

Wow. I just played it in a C64 emulator. That IS impressive. But only as an academic exercise, or as a blatant copy of a game that is already available on so many other platforms.

It would be cool to see someone do a game that pays homage to SMB, but is original. (I mean, using TODAY'S dev tools, not like Giana Sisters.)

Wow. I just played it in a C64 emulator. That IS impressive. But only as an academic exercise, or as a blatant copy of a game that is already available on so many other platforms.

It would be cool to see someone do a game that pays homage to SMB, but is original. (I mean, using TODAY'S dev tools, not like Giana Sisters.)

well, one thing we know is that it won't happen on 8-bit Atari

well, one thing we know is that it won't happen on 8-bit Atari

It's not that isn't impossible to do that game for the A8. There are also a lot coders do something for that machine.

But, as you might have recognized, most of them were not really Atari 8 bit fans. They more likely were fans of what the Atari could have been.

Luckily, in the past great stuff happened, where people knew the limits and put working stuff (fun games) into them.

We do have some talented coders / porters / adopters, who port games from C64, Spectrum and BBC.

Go for it mariuszw ! And then continue with Sonic, so both Sega and Nintendo will write C&D letters...

(A new challenge: Which retro system gets the most C&D letters from todays software companies?)

• Like 2

no joy on a real c128 ntcs... I wonder what it requires.

A problem with C64 as if not having a WSYNC register isn't bad enough is that you have different number of cycles per scanline depending on video standard, and I do believe the earliest NTSC was different again.

So unless the software caters for it - not to mention the normal NTSC defecit in cycles per frame - some games and demos just plain won't work.

Since this game supposedly uses VSP to do it's scrolling which requires cycle-exact programming, there's every chance that your config wasn't catered for.

But like plenty of software, maybe in time it'll be rectified. The advantage of a C128 also is that you can put the CPU into double speed mode during the blank period which can compensate for having less cycles per frame for NTSC vs PAL.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 4/29/2019 at 1:46 AM, DracIsBack said:

While I've always been an Atari 8Bit guy, having had a 130XE and two XEGS systems, I just can't hate the C64. It was a well put together machine with great games and 30 plus year old rivalries seem really silly now.

LMAO how is it great put together machine when the PSU were notorious for going bang and taking the machine with it 

When the basic shipped with it was utter crap often missing some of the basic commands (unless you buy something similar to Simons' BASIC  )

When multiple revisions of SID and VIC II were notorious for over heating and going bang with failures

When the 1541 floppy disk drive cost as much as the C64 and yet as or slower then data cassette drive (without Epyx-Fast-Load-for-Commodore cartridge)

When the god awful VIC II chip often produced terrible video output with jail bars and vomit inducing color banding on text like being on a LSD trip

To be fair, the ingot with an Atari will do the same and the 810 at release was INCREDIBLY expensive and fast loading was not far behind for the C64 where it cost serious money to get warp speed on the Atari..

As I keep banging on, go where the good games are, by that I mean don't ditch a machine, just enjoy the wealth of games etc on all machines..

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Mark loves Stella said:

And now the Speccy has SMB. Get it before Nintendo has it taken down. If the Spectrum can do SMB, you know the humble A8 can surely knock this one out. 

That's damn impressive. I can imagine how much prettier this could be on an Amstrad CPC 6128 with its nice colour palette.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mclaneinc said:

As I keep banging on, go where the good games are, by that I mean don't ditch a machine, just enjoy the wealth of games etc on all machines..

This.

I prefer the Atari, but both systems are good. What tends to get lost in these 'which is better' discussions tend to forget that which one is better (in terms of games/usefulness) tends to be which year you are referring to. The Atari line predates the c64 by several years. It was a luxury machine (until the XE line), and it's build quality shows that. It does the old-style arcade games better than anything from that era, with a lot of great original stuff, but struggles with the later 80s stuff that the cheaper (budget priced, hence the reliability issues) c64 was designed to do better. The c64 is a game console first and a computer second,  while the Atari was sort of a jack of all trades, master of none. The Atari, I think, was a better all around computer (probably the best compromise between productivity and gaming of the era), while the c64 is a more capable game machine... unless you're looking for raw speed, which is why the old arcade ports play better on Atari. The fact that the Atari was still competing with the c64, which was basically a next gen computer to it, is a testament to it's solid design. In a lot of ways, it's similar to the differences between the genesis and the super nintendo: decent graphics and blazing speed vs. great graphics and slowdown. Which one is 'better' depends on the style of game. RPGs are better on SNES. Shmups are better on Genesis.

Ultimately, I like both. The Atari is a hell of a lot more reliable, but it also cost 4x more back then. Both play great games. I prefer the Atari for arcade ports of the 'golden age', while the c64 does a lot of cool later gaming stuff, including a lot of RPG/Strategy games the Atari's never got.

• Like 4

That's the spirit, just pick what's good on all machines, being a fan boy of X brand leaves you stuck with one selection, sore at the time of the PS2 and Xbox I stayed Xbox because 99% of stuff came out on both and the XB was a bit more powerful so better frame rates BUT I also later got a PS2 for R-types and the Sony only stuff which was class. Having an Atari first led me to the C64 as the Atari was waining thanks to the nonsense at HQ but I still preferred the Atari version of stuff where as the C64 had some great little shooters like Turrican etc..

Me, I was rolling in games to play because I kept all my options open and that's how I've been since......My biggest mistake was never getting a NES but the carts were so expensive..I emulate it simply because I can't afford the carts to this day, flea bay prices are absurd..Had to make a choice between Snes and Megadrive and went for the Snes after playing Mario on it, that and I wasn't a fan of FM music, found it grinding on my ears not realising I had tinnitus back then :)

Do play the Megadrive stuff, some great shooters and their version of Contra was every bit as good as the Snes version without special chips and of course any game by Treasure was a must play especially Gunstar Heroes..

Its all good...

Saw a 2600 in the wild the other day at a thrift store.  Didn't get it as I have a 7800 laying around but I was happy to see it.  The last time I saw anything in the wild before that was a TI-99/4A a couple of years ago.  Anymore, I can't be fussed about the old playground arguments.  If I saw a VIC-20 or C-64 in a thrift these days, I'd be over the moon.  It'd be like spotting a unicorn.

• Like 1

The Atari 400/800 hardware was ahead of it's time - and it did lead the field.  It took a while for the potential to be shown off - as to what it really could do?  1982 to 1984?  Being the best years?  The XL/XE line was more about reducing the cost of production.  The 400/800 were not designed to be made cheaply.  The XL/XE series did not add any more graphic enhancements or other such things as sound.  Though more memory was available for use.

And so the C-64 was able to leap ahead - able to learn from the shortfall of the 400/800.  I always thought the Vic-20 was a waste of money - that you really had to wait it out until it's successor arrived (which wasn't that long at all).

While we have yet to see a late platformer done well - there is still the potential to do this but will require using all the resources and ingenuity available to do so, well.

The Genesis and SNES consoles took arcade games in the home up to the next level.  The SNES did have some excellent shooters.

Harvey

Edited by kiwilove
  • Like 1