IGNORED

VecMulti Dev Mode Info and how to.

chopperthedog

The info for VecMulti dev mode is kinda scattered in old threads and a video in dutch. I'm making this thread for the old and upcoming new owners of the Richard H VecMulti cart that would like to utilize the dev mode. The dev mode allows for a bin file to be transmitted from a host computer via a usb to serial adapter hooked to the VecMulti and executed on the vectrex in a matter of seconds. This info is for windows users and has been tested on 7 8 and 10. Hopefuly a mac user can also add the info needed to this thread.

First add pin header to VecMulti pcb. I used a 90 degree pin header and after it was soldered I slid the black plastic joiner off of the pins.

With an xacto knife and a small file you will need to cut a small opening on the side of the cart shell so that you can access the pin header.

The usb serial pcb can be anything from the CP2102 family. Here are the 2 types I've tested and used:

https://www.amazon.com/CP2102-UART-6PIN-Serial-Converter/dp/B00CD264HG

https://www.adafruit.com/product/954

The driver needed for windows is "CP210x_Windows_Drivers_with_Serial_Enumeration" which is also attached to this post. All you need to do is install the package and reboot computer, there are no settings or anything that needs to be changed in windows. Make the proper connections for Ground, RX, TX on the cart. Plug the usb device into computer and open device manager to see what COM port the device is using and make a note of that.

The sd card from your VecMulti should include a folder named "Utils" and from that folder you want to copy the VecMulti.exe to your computer (I've also attached the exe to post in case some don't have it). With connections made to cart you just need to remove the SD card from your VecMulti, insert the cart into the vectrex and power it on. It will boot to the Dev Mode screen. Next launch the VecMulti.exe on your computer and change the com port number to match what was shown in the device manager, click on "file" and navigate to any bin file you may have on your computer, select it and hit the send button. After it is complete you will be prompted to hit the "reset" button on your vectrex and you should now see the game running that you picked from computer.

It doesn't hurt to make a label for the bottom of the cart for the wire color call outs. The adafruit unit does come with split plugs, I have a dupont connector kit and added a solid 4 pin connector to mine to make plugging in easier.

good day.

post-64843-0-39039500-1555701958_thumb.jpg

post-64843-0-64756800-1555701977_thumb.jpg

post-64843-0-84316800-1555701999_thumb.jpg

post-64843-0-72486100-1555702606_thumb.png

post-64843-0-18640200-1555703269_thumb.jpg

CP210x_Windows_Drivers_with_Serial_Enumeration.zip

VecMulti.exe.zip

• Like 5

A quick question...how long does the binary transfer take, say for an 8k file? Back in the day when I was using a Dataman S4, I recall it taking about 10 seconds for a good chunk of a 32k EPROM. I don't use a Vectrex emulator for development, I work only on physical hardware, so this is pretty important for the edit-compile-download-test cycle that I use.

• 3 weeks later...