IGNORED

Tape decks for XL line...will anything do?

While I can report that I did have full success using

as you put it "a plain old audio cassette player".

Within reason, any suitable player can be made to work

if you operate the MOTOR signal manually which is the

main advantage a genuine Atari deck will give you.

"Right" hook ups was a couple of wires, one grounding

both systems together and the other was a jumper from

speaker out on the player to SIO audio, pin 11 J1.

For playback only then, not easy, but still doable.

I never did much tape creation however, it was mostly

reading prerecorded tapes. And long after posting, the

testing of this file.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/129755-question/?do=findComment&comment=1565431

1010's and 410's sell for pretty cheap on Ebay, compared to $100 or $60 from Best Electronics. and either of them will work too, the bonus with the 1010 is it actually will match your computer...and I think it's the most reliable, at least one of the versions, I forget which...most times if they don't work it's broken or stretched belt, and those are still available on ebay and other places too, I just replaced my 1010's belt about a month ago. The only advantage to the XC12 model I know of is it can use power from the SIO instead of needing it's own PSU, Otherwise it's the most cheaply constructed model...no experience with them myself if that means less reliable, but definitely easier to break physically.

Edited by Gunstar

1010's and 410's sell for pretty cheap on Ebay, compared to $100 or $60 from Best Electronics. and either of them will work too, the bonus with the 1010 is it actually will match your computer...and I think it's the most reliable, at least one of the versions, I forget which...most times if they don't work it's broken or stretched belt, and those are still available on ebay and other places too, I just replaced my 1010's belt about a month ago. The only advantage to the XC12 model I know of is it can use power from the SIO instead of needing it's own PSU, Otherwise it's the most cheaply constructed model...no experience with them myself if that means less reliable, but definitely easier to break physically.

I would like to add that I have had bad experiences with Hong Kong 1010s. I got two, both with a common problem of a broken little plastic gear. I have the versions with the trick flat belt.

I recommend the Japan made 1010. You can recognize it by the orange sticker in the cassette compartment. You just replace the belt with a cheap one you can get from eBay and that's it.

I have the Japanese model and it has been working great for many, many years until just a month or so ago when the belt finally stretched out just a bit to much to work properly, I replaced it and it works perfectly again. But thanks for reminding me Manterola,which I had and which is the one to avoid.

OT: Love the avatar Gunstar, trying to work out if its the Close Encounters Mothership or an 800 :)

I'm glad you like it, because I was planning on doing something similar to another particular Atari computer that I think you will also appreciate...so stay tuned... ;)

Edited by Gunstar