IGNORED

HSC16 Round 6: International Karate

International Karate Enhanced Edition

International Karate (Enhanced 2014 Version)

international_karate_enhanced_version_20

Great fun, though I never could master jumping over those spears/knives :twisted:

Note: 130XE strongly recommended
supports stereo
enhanced version by Pawel Rosowski
press HELP on title screen for manual

We'll leave Round 5 open for another week incase anyone else wants to try any of the ten liners or at least play Berks Four which is a really good new game (hopefully I will finish it this week!)

Play on 1 player on the default settings. If anyone masters black belt they can retire at some suitable level, perhaps try some of the speed options but I suspect it is optimal on the defaults. If anyone only has the original then play that ;)Tile smash cheat is allowed it's about the only way you will get them all asuming they've not "fixed" it: hold the stick down and then quickly release it and hold it again, repeat until they come on - it's still skillful to get them all but now you have a chance!

Bonus points:

anyone beating up or getting beaten up by a human opponent!

anyone completing the second spears/knives stage!

Round ends: FRIDAY 3rd May 2019 9pm UK Time

Have fun ;)

• Like 3

Hmm this aleady really good game is even better! Had a couple of goes!

post-19705-0-71998000-1555867483.jpg

20,500 Purple Belt

40,100 Black Belt

Playing spot the difference, really need to look at the pics side by side, I still think the Sphynx could be better. The HELP mode has lots of options including one to practice dodging the weapons!

• Like 1

This is a good game but gets pretty boring quickly. It's good that we're playing it though cos it's not been played before in HSC

Perhaps we could add one or both of these?

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-ninja_3714.html

http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-ninja-commando_3717.html

If I remember correctly Ninja is pretty easy to complete, haven't played the other one

Edited by McKong
  • Like 1

A deserter returns... I was kidnapped by the Real Life shenanigans and also dedicated my spare game to the Arcade HSC thingy...but now it's over I can delve again into the wonders of the 8 bit world.

I played a bit of IK yesterday night and was overwhelmed by a) the nostalgia hit - been a long time since I played it on Commodore and b) how great the gameplay is compared to the later over-complicated combo-based fighters.

• Like 1

16,000 Green Belt

19,300 Purple Belt

I love it but like with most of the fighters I'm only like ~50% in control of what's going on...if that :) I don't get any better with continuous play, it's just all down to luck I guess.

Edited by youxia

OK guys, sorry I'm a bit snowed under with work so instead of adding extra games we can end this round earlier - say Thursday 9pm next week. I've not even done anything with my abbuc game :twisted:

Ninja is great but too easy plus I'd like to pair it up with Ninja Master, Tecnho Ninja needs a full 2 weeks on it's own, Chop Suey is nice but too easy also.

Here's how I play IK - practice some moves on 2 player. I always jump at them and then execute a follow up move usually gut punch, double high kick*, or leg sweep. Master the turn and puch and the puch to the face (very satisfying!), the lower leg kick is handy if you are too near them, it's all about distances - it's a skillful game not just a mash the controls ;) Jump away if you are in trouble. I rarely use the other moves.

* I made up the names - as usual!

We've had a load of new games now so let's have some more classics for the next poll, I'll start it at the weekend :thumbsup:

• Like 2

had 7 goes today but didn't get to black belt nor beat the stupid jumping and ducking 2nd stage... one day :twisted: looks like they've "fixed" the tile smash cheat so it's hard to get the full 10 with a long throw joystick like my quickshot, this is one game that gets the suction cups popping off the table :)

first tables

1st black belt therealbountybob 40,100 12pts
2nd purple belt McKong 24,400 11pts
3rd purple belt Deteacher 23,100 10pts
4th purple belt carlsson 22,000 9pts
5th purple belt youxia 19,300 8pts
6th green belt devwebcl 13,600 7pts

=> Round 7 Poll OPEN !

=> Reminder this round now closes Thursday 2nd May @ 9pm UK time

Ninja is great but too easy plus I'd like to pair it up with Ninja Master, Tecnho Ninja needs a full 2 weeks on it's own, Chop Suey is nice but too easy also.

A bit late now, but I see there is a preview/WIP verson of IK+ from 2002. I don't know if the votes are based on how it plays or nostalgia, but 7.2 makes me want to try it out, at least for fun even if it won't score as a bonus game in this round.

Edit: Never mind. It is not a game, it is just a graphic demo of how IK+ would look like on the Atari. The characters are making moves, but no interaction.... I wonder if the 36 people who voted for it figured it out is not yet playable or cast their votes for the demo mode.

Edit 2: Ok, I found the main IK+ site which has far more recent builds where the game is playable one round a time, then you need to restart it so not yet HSC material. Also limited to 20000 pts, so everyone would easily be able to reach maximum score for the moment being.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Yellow Belt

and a quick reed sketch.

post-48102-0-22662200-1556812877.jpg

As I have mentioned to TRBB, I've been having eye problems :-(, especially with the PC and TV. So I will have to take the back burner for a while, on this and the upcoming rounds.

PS Will still try the cheeky game every now and again... nor quite out :-)

Edited by RedThunder
  • Like 4