IGNORED

Taito NES Vaus Controller zero-tool de-jittering method

On this website, read my (Tripletopper’s) post to read a no tool method of fixing the Vaus controller. Since Atari 2600 and Astrocade have similar methods, I posted all 3 on the Atari 2600 site.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/6932-jittery-paddles/

This ais a ZERO-TOOL method of fixing the jitters in a Vaus controller.

By the way. In the arcade. Arkanoid had a velocity based spinner, like a Tempest controller that can go forever in one rotational direction. At Home the Vaus controller is a position-based limited-radius Paddle, like an Atari 2600 paddle.

Has anyone played it in both the arcade and home? Which version do you think controllers better, the speed-based arcade or the dial-a-position home? I like the home one better.

I heard there is a Super Colecovision version which uses the Super Action Controller spinner as the Vaus controller. That should be more true to the arcade.

Also playing it on Xbox 360 (or One BC) it seems like Vaus moves at a maximum speed that’s fairly slow. There’s almost no need for slow analog movement, because the fastest feels digital, and there definitely is no dial-a-position like NES. Thankfully you can start form the last level with 3 balls, so there is a reasonable chance you can beat the game. I think they made the levels easier so there is even a chance of one-crediting a 360 tour of 31 levels despite your pokey maximum speed. They made that 2 Xbox live achievements.

This is weird. You have a VERY specific subcategory of classic gaming called NES High Score Club, it would make more sense to have an outer folder for Nintenedo home systems, then a folder within that like NES, Game Boy, SNES, etc. and then wihtin that category NES High Score Club.

I agree "Classic gaming" is too general and "NES High Score Club" is too specific.

Until the folders get reorganized, the mods said for TG-16 specific questions/topics the TG-16 High Score topic will temporarily do. I thought that wrule was the same.

If there were an NES folder that was not more specific than that, I would have posted it there. But the classic gaming heading doesn’t have "NES- General" as the next level lower.

I know it’s a chore to reorganize folders. Heck, if average user can add folders, maybe I can do it.

Topic moved.

@tripletopper: You've posted nearly-identical messages to about a dozen threads today about de-jittering various controllers, including one stale thread that was ~17 years old. Enough already.

I count 5, One for the Atari audience, One for the Astrocade audience, one for the NES audience, and a couple amending my previous comments showing the Astrocade is even easier than I thought before.

I thought the information was similar enough but could be applied to multiple audiences where splitting it up would be better.

I just thought this would be an easy way to clean pots, and most people were making it too complex without any good reason for the extra complexity. And I have tested it. The jittering stops when I do this. Maybe it's a less permanent way to do it, but it beats risking messing up another part.

As for a stale thread, I did what I was supposed to do, use the search and look to see if there was an existing forum covering what I was talking about. Does it really matter whether it’s a totally new thread or waking up a sleeping thread?

I tell my friend to look for cheap dial controllers at various thrift stores, as I do myself, and I and revive them using these techniques. It makes no sense to buy non-working controllers on ebay, and hope that’s the error being corrected, and put a lot of risk of capital on the line for very little reward when you factor in shipping on Ebay, That’s why I’m telling this easy secret. This knowledge may preserve these controllers for longer than expected.

I just know a tool-free way to fix one specific problem.

There’s a reason why it’s called First Aid. You should do this first, and it normally cures 90%+ of cases. Most cases that don’t work have something deeper, and more fundamental wrong.

I just suggested a surgery-free way of curing the most common problem, without risking ruining other parts..

On this website, read my (Tripletopper’s) post to read a no tool method of fixing the Vaus controller. Since Atari 2600 and Astrocade have similar methods, I posted all 3 on the Atari 2600 site.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/6932-jittery-paddles/

Thank you for your tips!! very helpful for me.

I appreciate and value your posting it in multiple sub-forums as I do not have the time for following all of them and it would not have come to my attention had you not done so, or at least had you not posted it to the HSC.

I agree it gets a little batty around here when it comes to the over-herding of user postings, but overall I gotta be grateful for this fantastic site!