IGNORED

NES High Score Club Round 12 - Ninja Gaiden

asponge

Welcome to round 12. This round's game is Ninja Gaiden. The final score doesn't stay up long nor reappear so take note before game over. Again, screenshots aren't required.

post-27362-0-29465700-1555899182.jpg post-27362-0-80572600-1555899191.png

Game Rules:

1up Farming is Prohibited

Manual

Score Post Deadline: Sunday May 5 at 11:59 PM CDT.

Atari Age High Scores:

400,600 by bubufubu posted on 1/12/2015

359,700 by bigbee99 posted on 7/6/2011

Scores so far:

bubufubu 531,000

mbd30 368,300

asponge 115,600

Wrathness 107,800

Floyd Turbo 120,400

empsolo 90,900

roadrunner 31,500

Mister-VCS 18,000

Season Standings:

64 asponge

63 mdb30
45 S.BAZ
41 empsolo
24 roadrunner
22 jblenkle

19 mr_intv

15 bubufubu
12 Floyd Turbo

7 Wrathness

6 Mister-VCS
1 agb

General HSC Season Rules:

• To participate, just post a score to the thread. Anyone can join in at any time.
  • A picture or screenshot is encouraged when posting a score but not required.
  • The season is 15 rounds long.
  • Games will be posted on Sundays and run two weeks through Sunday at 11:59 PM CST.
  • No emulator save states, slow-mo, rewind, etc.
  • No cheats, e.g. Konami code, Game Genie, etc.
  • Turbo controllers are allowed.
  • No point pressing.
  • Round points are awarded according to the number of participants. Every player earns 1 participation point plus 1 point for every player they outscore. For example, if there are 8 players, the player with the highest score earns 8 points, second 7 points, third 6 points, etc. down to the last player who earns 1 point.
Edited by asponge
  • Like 1

It should be against the rules to collect any 1up more than once. If you grab a 1up and then die, you can't collect it again. And there is a 1up loop in 5-3 where you can farm as many extra lives as you want. I don't know if this falls under point pressing exactly, but any 1up farming or 1up loops should be forbidden.

It should be against the rules to collect any 1up more than once. If you grab a 1up and then die, you can't collect it again.

As long as a player isn't purposefully dying in order to replay the level for more points I personally don't have an issue with this. If you're honestly struggling to defeat a level and it's takes a few tries that seems fair to me. In addition, if a player is struggling with a certain point of the game the chances of them blowing away the top scores seems slim.

If anyone else has an opinion on this please chime in. We'll go with whatever the group thinks is fair.

And there is a 1up loop in 5-3 where you can farm as many extra lives as you want. I don't know if this falls under point pressing exactly, but any 1up farming or 1up loops should be forbidden.

Yes, farming 1ups is certainly not very sportsmanlike. I'll add this to the game rules.

By the way, thanks for the heads up on both of these points. I'm not very familiar with this game.

Since point pressing isn't allowed, the high score method involves reaching the final bosses with as many lives as possible (the most you can get without any farming is 5), defeat the first two final boss forms, and then keep suiciding at the third form to replay all of act 6.

Edited by mbd30

Since point pressing isn't allowed, the high score method involves reaching the final bosses with as many lives as possible (the most you can get without any farming is 5), defeat the first two final boss forms, and then keep suiciding at the third form to replay all of act 6.

This game is apparently difficult to play for score if you can't point press. If it works for you and everyone else I'm cool with amending the point pressing rule to exclude timed games. The only reason the rule exists is to keep some games from becoming tedious instead of fun. But, if it's preventing competition then it doesn't make much sense. Any and all opinions are welcome.

This game is apparently difficult to play for score if you can't point press. If it works for you and everyone else I'm cool with amending the point pressing rule to exclude timed games. The only reason the rule exists is to keep some games from becoming tedious instead of fun. But, if it's preventing competition then it doesn't make much sense. Any and all opinions are welcome.

I'd really rather not point press in a game like this so the current rules are fine with me. It takes so long.

I think that Gaiden is tough to play for score as every enemy regenerates, more or less. But the timer is still a good deterrent. The only big issue would be 1up farming, which you mentioned already. Given how difficult this game is, lots of cheap deaths will make it tough for anyone to survive long enough to post a crazy high score.

Maybe just a players agreement to see how far they can get in one game, snap a pic on your last life and recall the final score?

Oh my goodness! Ninja Gaiden, hardcore.

In my opinion, point pressing should be fair game in any game with a timer for each stage. My understanding is that is the purpose of the timer, to make players have to keep going in order to get bigger scores. Same with Double Dragon or Donkey Kong. Just my opinion though, I'll of course abide with whatever gets decided. Also I think reference should be made to whatever rules were used in the past for Ninja Gaiden.

That's it for round 12.

Points Awarded:

bubufubu 531,000 +8

mbd30 368,300 +7

Floyd Turbo 120,400 +6

asponge 115,600 +5

Wrathness 107,800 +4

empsolo 90,900 +3

roadrunner 31,500 +2

Mister-VCS 18,000 +1

Edited by asponge