IGNORED

Wasteland - New Game for Atari 8Bit

skr

This looks really cool. I'm a big Fallout fan, and the Atari really lacks these overhead/three-quarter overhead adventure games like this. I'm looking forward to playing this tonight! Great find skr! I wonder why the author hasn't announced this game on AA...

This looks really cool. I'm a big Fallout fan, and the Atari really lacks these overhead/three-quarter overhead adventure games like this. I'm looking forward to playing this tonight! Great find skr! I wonder why the author hasn't announced this game on AA...

He announced it on AtariAge yesterday, unfortunately here (Gaming Publications and Websites):

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/290463-wasteland-2019/

I wrote him

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/290463-wasteland-2019/?p=4262412

to post the news here.

• Like 7

He announced it on AtariAge yesterday, unfortunately here (Gaming Publications and Websites):

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/290463-wasteland-2019/

I wrote him

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/290463-wasteland-2019/?p=4262412

to post the news here.

Ahh...yeah I never visit anything but the A8 forum on AA so I didn't even know this sub-forum existed...

I tried it for about a half an hour last night, it's fun, it's well done for the most part. The graphics are top-notch for the most part. There are a couple of things I wish were better, like the lack of animation on everything but your character, and some added game play of maybe a weapon or two and some enemies to kill would have added to it, some music and more sound effects as you explore, but I'm going back for more tonight!

I put the ATR on a real floppy disk, with ultra-speed on my happy 1050 the load times going into buildings are only a couple of seconds.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I have been playing this briefly on my Atari emulator before moving it to the XEGS. I did notice that some of the monsters appear to move very quickly in NTSC mode. I see some US users in this thread. However, I know that some people have access to both PAL and NTSC Ataris. I was wondering if other people noticed the same thing in NTSC. When I switched the emulator to PAL, the monsters were a bit slower. Since the domain of the developer is Germany, I was wondering if it had been tried in NTSC.

I really enjoy the graphics and I look forward to trying it on my XEGS.

Bob C

I played on my Pal converted 1200XL last night. Unfortunately my NTSC machine is an 800 with only 48K and the game requires 64K. But they seemed pretty damn fast on PAL too, so I guess it's going to take extra skilz for those using NTSC...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

After about a week or two of on and off play, about 20 attempts I finished the game! Great little game with great graphics and fun gameplay. I still wish there were some weapons and more than just enemies going back and forth or up and down, except for the few drones you encounter. Some enemies with a bit more A.I that shoot back and stuff like that, slightly larger game with RPG elements maybe. The ending is a bit disappointing, some kind of animation sequence would have really been cool...but still, a fun game and the author had his vision.

I'll just continue to learn to program and maybe in a few years I can make my vision a reality. I'll probably submit a full review of the game along with a few other recent games to Excel for the next issue...first we need the latest issue to get released!

Still a commercial quality game that can stand tall among the best of home-brews in recent years! Out of the plethora of great games we have gotten over the last few years, this is the first one that I've completed, and not because it was any easier than others, so that's saying something about the game.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 4

• 8 months later...

CONGRATULATIONS to Wasteland for being nominated in the 2019 Atari Homebrew Awards!

Be sure to vote for your favourite homebrew games of 2019 with the links below and watch the awards LIVE on February 1, 2020!

Awards Show: February 1, 2020 @ 12:00PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT LIVE on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch Channel!

Atari Homebrew Awards Categories (VOTE IN ALL!!):

1707745714_2019AtariHomebrewAwardsLaurel-Nominated-BestHomebrewAtari8bit5200.jpg.dd9f7cfc602817c271d536baf20453c5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...