IGNORED

SIO coding for Atari 400/800 examples?

You must have the older power board then... the old power board included the analog function, if so you shouldn't have an analog board above the mech, or the data separator daughterboard on the side board either.

will await your pictures.

Hmm. In my picture, the circled component is at J105, and has MC7812CT printed on it, which the datasheet says is a Motorola "3-terminal 1A positive voltage regulator" output of 12V with 4% tolerance.

Edit: I haven't looked at the schematics you're looking at, but maybe they're for the old power board. My drive has the newer power board. (1981 = newer? Hehe)

Then both of those manuals must be out of date too. Both refer to that device as a transistor. The one calls it a Pass transistor . Funny, I can't find Q113 listed in either manual.

There must be a third manual. The Atari Mania on lists a 7812 but does not assign it a part number and does not seem to show it in the schematic. Or at least does not appear to show it as the schematic in that manual is very fuzzy.

Photo of mine posted above.

Ah yeah, sorry I missed that on the small phone screen earlier. Yes you definitely have the original Power board (with included analog function), no separate analog board, no data separator daughter board, and probably has the Revision "B" ROM as well. (Which had a slower formatting skew)

C011299B is revision 'B'

C011299C is revision 'C'

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/269694-improved-sector-layout-cx8111/?p=4016787

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/279363-the-atari-810-revision-b-rom-has-finally-been-found-dumped/

I emailed best to see if they have the replacement board. Not finding it on that site of tiers. :)

You probably saw on the BEST site Brads long write up on the woes of the original boards. They power boards sound like they were all pretty much doomed to die a few years after manufacture. You'd need the whole set of 3 boards + Rev C ROM...

Edit: here is the page that talks about the replacement boards on the best website: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/8-bit_.htm

"Atari Engineering Grass Valley 810 Analog Rear board upgrade set. New Rear 810 Analog Rear Power board, New Top Analog R/W board, New 10 Pin Jumper cable, Installation Instructions. Upgrades / Replaces the older Atari 810's with Single Power board that 100% Fails. See Atari 810 Tec tip below!" - CB101128 - $79.95

Hmm Doesn't mention the data separator or ROM in that item. No specific line item to get just the data separator board & ROM without buying a whole new side board for $29...

You might also find someone on the forums here with spare/salvage parts to compare price to...

in your picture clearly you see them

there is rust around the transistor/voltage regulator. time to clean that up being careful about the isolation sheet etc. involved, fresh heat sink grease. a108/q113

You can't miss them, they are in TO packages and connected from the pcb to the heat sink/ metal plate....

They are interchangeably referred to as voltage regulator and transistor...

Ana P/S C014348 Voltage Regulator 7805 (5V) J104

MOUNT C014348 VOLTAGE REGULATOR (5V)(78M05) A108
MOUNT PASS TRANSISTOR (TIP 32C) Q113
MOUNT C014712 12 VOLTAGE REGULATOR 7812 (12V)

Ana P/S C014712 Voltage Regulator 7812 (12V) J105

the parts list show both names and parts for q113

and they are shown both ways in the diagrams, and are noted

Granted in the chock full of nuts manuals you have to read and look at all the pictographs and diagrams... but I will dig up yet another maybe easier for you to use version

Edited by _The Doctor__

I didn't bother to see if this matches the atarimania fsm rev 1

but if you look at the pictures and read then look at the pcb, you will find it is all there

810.pdf

6-13

6-45

6-47

2-20

to get you started yet again, and sprinkled through out. a108 q113, also look for transistor heat sink assembly etc.

when looking at parts list in any of these, an item that can use more than one part will list the parts after the identifier, they don't repeat the identifier.

I was able to find this information in one form or another across all the materials, though some you had to read a little further than others

Edited by _The Doctor__

in your picture clearly you see them

there is rust around the transistor/voltage regulator. time to clean that up being careful about the isolation sheet etc. involved, fresh heat sink grease. a108/q113

You can't miss them, they are in TO packages and connected from the pcb to the heat sink/ metal plate....

They are interchangeably referred to as voltage regulator and transistor...

Ana P/S C014348 Voltage Regulator 7805 (5V) J104

MOUNT C014348 VOLTAGE REGULATOR (5V)(78M05) A108

MOUNT PASS TRANSISTOR (TIP 32C) Q113

MOUNT C014712 12 VOLTAGE REGULATOR 7812 (12V)

Ana P/S C014712 Voltage Regulator 7812 (12V) J105

the parts list show both names and parts for q113

and they are shown both ways in the diagrams, and are noted

Granted in the chock full of nuts manuals you have to read and look at all the pictographs and diagrams... but I will dig up yet another maybe easier for you to use version

Rust on mine? Maybe it looks that way in the photo. I am seeing no rust. Only the isolation sheet. , maybe a bit of thermal paste bt that is about it.

and yes I saw the rest of that information too.

Edited by spinnaker15136

Ah yeah, sorry I missed that on the small phone screen earlier. Yes you definitely have the original Power board (with included analog function), no separate analog board, no data separator daughter board, and probably has the Revision "B" ROM as well. (Which had a slower formatting skew)

C011299B is revision 'B'

C011299C is revision 'C'

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/269694-improved-sector-layout-cx8111/?p=4016787

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/279363-the-atari-810-revision-b-rom-has-finally-been-found-dumped/

You probably saw on the BEST site Brads long write up on the woes of the original boards. They power boards sound like they were all pretty much doomed to die a few years after manufacture. You'd need the whole set of 3 boards + Rev C ROM...

Edit: here is the page that talks about the replacement boards on the best website: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/8-bit_.htm

"Atari Engineering Grass Valley 810 Analog Rear board upgrade set. New Rear 810 Analog Rear Power board, New Top Analog R/W board, New 10 Pin Jumper cable, Installation Instructions. Upgrades / Replaces the older Atari 810's with Single Power board that 100% Fails. See Atari 810 Tec tip below!" - CB101128 - $79.95

Hmm Doesn't mention the data separator or ROM in that item. No specific line item to get just the data separator board & ROM without buying a whole new side board for $29...

You might also find someone on the forums here with spare/salvage parts to compare price to...

Unless I can get the replacements really cheap. It might be throwing good money after bad. Might be best to just put the money into a working 1050.

I don't even know for sure if the drive is working.

Wow! Good work. I'm amazed that drive with all the original early version electronics is actually functioning! But I wouldn't trust it. In a few previous threads here, those electronics could not maintain a reliable RPM.

My own personal curiosity: can you confirm if it has a C011299B or C011299C ROM in the side board? (I suspect "B") I was trying to find one of those for a long time, but eventually found one and got it dumped. :D

Yeah I can't boot all of my disks. I have 2 DOSXL disks. Can only boot one. And when I do a DIR with it, I get garbage for the list. Original DOS disk boots fine. And does a dir fine. If I do a dir of the dosxl disk it fails.

So I don't know if I have a bad drive or several bad disks. Any place I can get a DOSXL disk?

I wonder if replacing the belt would help?

Does the 1050 diagnostic kit work on the 810? Figure I would buy one but in case the 810 does not pan out, I would have the kit for the 1050.

Edited by spinnaker15136