IGNORED

Some Questions about Recording Gameplay on Xbox One

I've been meaning to record some gameplay clips on my Xbox One for quite some time now, but every time I feel like I've made some progress in terms of new equipment or knowledge about the whole process, I encounter a new problem. I already have a USB 3.0 hard drive to store the long clips and I have a camera, but I can't get to record audio from the camera's mic. From what I've read online, you can't use a camera and get audio from that, but some people pointed out that that's how they record gameplay. Apparently, if you want to get audio on a clip or stream, you need to buy a super expensive headset (they are well beyond my budget in my country.) So I have no idea if that depends on the camera or not. As I was writing this, I realized that there's a menu on the settings that allows you to check video and audio from the camera and maybe you can enable an option from there, but I don't have my console with me right now, so I'll check it out at home. I was wondering if anyone over here tried to capture footage from their Xbox One console and experienced the same problem and can help me out. I know apart from using the OS from the console, there are a bunch of alternative apps like Upload Studio, Twitch and Mixer that have different functionalities, so maybe I should check out those just in case. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it!

Why are you using a camera? There are things called "capture cards" that you want to be using for this purpose. Look into anything HDMI-capable from Elgato, Avermedia, Black Magic, etc.

I'm aware that those exist. But over here, getting an Elgato costs twice the amount of money I got my Xbox One for. I'd love to have one of those, but it's simply not an option for me.

The problem with that is you're pretty much doomed to terrible video quality. I am not sure what your goal is, but with your existing setup you have a few options:

1. Regarding your camera's audio capabilities, that depends on your model and you will need to research that. Some cameras have an audio line-in port to capture audio while recording video. Due to the Xbox One being HDMI-only you will need to run it through a HDMI Audio extractor (something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XDNJ6RM/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_yXGWCbD0X5TXD). Then with adapters you would feed that into your camera's line-in port. The Xbox One also outputs SPDIF (optical) but you will still need some sort of converter to feed that into the camera.

2. You mentioned Twitch or Mixer, both of which you can use to stream directly from the Xbox One itself. Those services do save archives to your account, but you then need to find a way to get them to your local storage or another platform like YouTube (Twitch has YT export functionality, I can't speak for Mixer). The thing to keep in mind is that video quality will be bottle-necked by your internet upload speed. You will also be susceptible to dropped frames and random skipping, which isn't ideal--these can be due to your internet connection, or the servers you are transmitting to. Lastly, the footage will also be fairly compressed.

3. Upload Studio - it's worth looking into but I haven't personally messed with it since the Xbox One came out.

Edited by Austin