IGNORED

Atari 5-pin DIN monitor output to S-Video / RCA Audio input

chad5200

Good luck making your own cable - it's harder than it looks. I gave up and bought an Atari XL/XE 5-Pin DIN to S-Video & Composite AV Cable for $11.99 plus shipping/tax at https://www.8bitclassics.com/

I got my cable today and it works great. 8bitclassics.com is located in Wisconsin.

Not all that hard if you can solder. Just need to be careful with the shield which does not have a sheath. I did not do it on my cable but you can get shrink wrap. Or in a pinch nail polish works as a good insulator. I have used it in a number of projects.

Thought for $10 it is not worth the hassle. Wow that is a pretty good deal. I probably paid $6 for a set of 5 5-pin DINs. And I had one for the longest time and threw it out with an old monitor. :(

Edited by spinnaker15136

If you want to make your own cable, you can use a premade MIDI cable to start, cutting the plug off one end. The problem is it's difficult to splice shielded composite video, audio and S-Video cables to this MIDI cable. I made my own cables many years ago, and they eventually broke.

• 4 months later...
On 4/25/2019 at 8:58 PM, Forrest said:

Good luck making your own cable - it's harder than it looks. I gave up and bought an Atari XL/XE 5-Pin DIN to S-Video & Composite AV Cable for $11.99 plus shipping/tax at https://www.8bitclassics.com/

I got my cable today and it works great. 8bitclassics.com is located in Wisconsin.

Thanks for the recommendation.  Just bought one from there for my 65XE.  I got 5-pin DIN connector on Sunday but just didn't feel like soldering tiny wires and I'm not in a rush.