IGNORED

Powering RPi Zero through SIO with supercapacitor

RockfordDash

Hello,

I have a question regarding supercap scheme. I have built RPi Zero to SIO for loading ATRs with Hias'es "atariserver" and figured I can power RPi through +5V pin from Atari SIO to cut down on a number of cables. I have a new 5V/2A PS for my Atari, and RPi Zero only needs about 100 mA. There's only one problem. RPi takes several seconds to boot, so I don't want to power it down when I power cycle Atari when reset doesn't work. To that end, I thought I'd use super capacitor. I bought one 1F supercap, some Schottky diodes and resistors. This is a scheme I came up with:

post-68063-0-13564100-1556256997.png

Does it make sense? I know it works, but I don't know if I need to bother with a resistor to limit inrush current. I don't know what supercap can tolerate. Perhaps just a diode + supercap would suffice.

With a 10 ohm R1 it takes about 20s to fully charge supercap, and then RPi can run for about 14 seconds after I turn off Atari. That's plenty of time to power cycle Atari.

Thanks,

RD

What you have there looks ok, but the resistor in series with the capacitor is essential otherwise at switch on

the capacitor would appear as a short circuit, also 4.7 ohms looks a little low for a normal +5V from the SIO.

I think the current is limited to 50mA on a standard SIO port unless you have modded it to provide more current.

So you need to select a resistor suitable to limit the max current the the +5 can supply, obviously the larger the

resistor the longer it will take C1 to charge.

Thank you for advice. I'll use 10 ohm resistor to limit charging current.

According to Atari 130XE schematic (https://archive.org/details/Atari130XE_Schematics/page/n7) +5V pin in SIO is connected to power rail through some choke, so I assume I can draw 0.5 A if I have appropriate power supply unit.

LiPos are quite demanding when it comes to storage; they should be partially discharged. Supercap is quite simple to use, has no such reqauirements and should last.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Yes, I did build it. I used 10 ohm resistor, 1 F supercap and two Schottky rectifier diodes. RPi Zero W draws about 100 mA and it can run for several seconds (>13s) after I power off Atari.

I use USB power supply rated at 2A to power them.

I can remove stubborn games, turn machine back on and RPi is still there to serve the content. No separate power bricks needed anymore.

The one thing I didn't realize is just how big 1 F capacity is. It keeps RPi running fore several seconds, but it also takes about 1/2 a minute to fully charge. Not a big deal, but explains why resistor is important.

• Like 1

Just a thought here, but what about putting a switch between the capacitor and the RPi? That way, when you want to actually turn off the machine, you can isolate the RPi, leaving the charge in the capacitor there so it'll take less time to fully charge the next time you use it. Might seem a bit of extra faff, but could help if the half a minute charge time becomes an issue.

Hi,

Thanks very much for the photo, I have some DuPont connectors and a crimping tool, and also some heat-shrink tubing, so I will give it a go if I can find the parts (mainly the super-capacitor). Not having to plug the RPi is a plus as plugs are at a bit of a premium.

So, I went looking for how much power an Uno pulls and found this:

http://www.home-automation-community.com/arduino-low-power-how-to-run-atmega328p-for-a-year-on-coin-cell-battery/

Powering an uno for 4 years from a 9V battery. (now, that doesn't include the sdrvie screen, but still...)

Might be worth looking at for someone more knowldgable about these things than me!

-Todd

So, I went looking for how much power an Uno pulls and found this:

http://www.home-automation-community.com/arduino-low-power-how-to-run-atmega328p-for-a-year-on-coin-cell-battery/

Powering an uno for 4 years from a 9V battery. (now, that doesn't include the sdrvie screen, but still...)

Probably be easier to grab a USB battery pack, the lipstick looking ones would give you almost 3 times the amount of power of a 9 volt.

I think this approach works with RPi Zero, because it runs on 3.3V. I suppose it uses step down converter and happens to work with a range of voltages from 3.3V to 5V, which is a key here. Super cap doesn't charge fully (b/c of the diode) and then it slowly discharges and voltage drops.

On RPi I run AtariServer: https://github.com/mikekov/AtariServer