IGNORED

Akka Arrh - Coming to mame hopefully

negative1

I know a few, some which I have actually met in person and seen their personal collections over the years. As for the biggest? Well, I immediately think of someone I know who has about 700 coin op machines. Perhaps, maybe, he has the biggest. Who knows. There are many recluse collectors in the world who purposely choose to remain private.

• Like 2

I feel for the people with these arcades that did not want it released. I can understand the want to preserve and release games to others however I owned one of the few copies of Airball for the NES. It was released for profit by one of the owners and the very special center of my collection became a lot less meaningful. By the way I was not rich or well to do when I owned that game. Working 40+ hours a week and going to school full time. It was very special owning something that is unique and one of a kind.

Well said.

I completely understand the argument from both sides.

We had no say, with regards to the decisions made by the powers that be, at the companies back in the day, which subsequently resulted in the phenomenon of unreleased games. Nor did we have any control, with regards to if, when, or where they ever manage(d) to surface. So when it comes down to it, whatever the circumstances may be, any perception of power, by either the people who have them or by the people who want them, is merely speculation & assumption.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have to be hella rich to be a collector in this genre- or just in the right place and right time.

Mainly it's who you know and being in the right place at the right time. And that in and of itself means you're gonna hafta be well to do. Begging for pennies to ride the bus to Goodwill, where you can collect ac power adapters for phones and routers all day long @ $0.50 each, isn't going to put you contact with knowledgeable collectors who know other knowledgeable collectors and so on. You're not doing any networking there except untangling dot-com era Cat-5 cables.

You also need to have the physical space. A 2000 sq ft apartment dump full of 50 year-old societal rejects isn't gonna afford you any space to spread out, and work, and display things. And you have to have tools, or deep pockets to keep an experienced electronics technician on-call. Or sit your fuck'n ass down and learn to do it yourself. People that are interested in videogames and fixing them up say they're gonna learn 'tronics. They never do. They do just the minimum needed to clean a switch or match polarity. Nothing more. Nothing about parts' substitution, nothing about theory, nothing about datasheets or schematics or how parts interact. It's goddamned pathetic.

You also can't be living in mom's basement either - thinking you'll be saving money by doing that. You'll never get there.

While you don't have to be like the uber-rich or anything, you have to have some of their personality traits. The winning ones.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 4

Well said.

I completely understand the argument from both sides.

We had no say, with regards to the decisions made by the powers that be, at the companies back in the day, which subsequently resulted in the phenomenon of unreleased games. Nor did we have any control, with regards to if, when, or where they ever manage(d) to surface. So when it comes down to it, whatever the circumstances may be, any perception of power, by either the people who have them or by the people who want them, is merely speculation & assumption.

Having the ability and skills to maneuver within and through society to acquire a rare game can be a demonstration of success. Losers are not likely to be able to acquire such prizes.

On the other hand any power granted by the "holy grail" of whatever is genuinely imaginary. Especially when it comes to videogames. A few people's brains may get tied up in a knot and start squirming over it. And are those loners, losers, and basement dwellers the type you want to impress?

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Come now.. Guy gets SN #1 of something and proceeds to drill parts of it to destruction. Sounds like a loser to me.

What the heck are you talking about? Did you even read the entire thread? The ONLY thing drilled was that one barrel lock had to be drilled, and it was a Lock Smith he hired that did that not him. They other locks were able to be picked open and presumably keys made. He did take the control panel out to get good pics of it and some other parts, but that was for documentation purposes and has it all back together as of the last post. So again, aside from that barrel lock (Which I'm sure wasn't that unique...) what else was drilled to destruction?

• 3 weeks later...

First reactions is it looks like Reactor meets Polybius.

Also reminds me of Vectron for the Intellivision.

This is the crazy abstract shooter type of game that I like. On one hand I feel it's a shame this ROM wasn't available earlier so that it could have made its way into the first generation of ASM arcade emulators like Retrocade and Raine.

Oh well... so much for getting it on my DOS rig.

Still, looks fun. A wider release (or earlier leak) would have probably given it a fond following.

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

this brings up interesting questions.

so atari had the code, and licensed out the rom.

they wrote their own emulator of course to run it.

also, what does this mean for other unreleased games (marble madness 2) does this mean

they might come out too.

did the rom owner have a part to play in all this.

questions, questions.

later

• Like 1