IGNORED

"AgaCart" my version of the Atari Lynx SD cartridge

rj1307

I finally got a chance to check out my Agacart this weekend. But I had a small scare with it at first that I wanted to see if anyone else has seen?

So I took my Lynx 2 out (McWill modded with VGA out) and popped the Agacart into it. Turned it on and got the Insert Game screen which is normal in this case. I then pressed the right button to switch the Agacart on and into position 1. Waited a sec..saw the 'P' come up and begin to flash for a few seconds. Then the Lynx screen goes black...and...scrambled graphics?

Turned it off and back on again...to try again...same thing..

Removed the Agacart and plugged it back in, tried a different game slot...same thing...

So..I wanted to make sure my Lynx II hadn't decided to crap out on me and put in an actual Lynx game (Ninja Gaiden..). It fired right up and looked great. Okay..so I then popped in Xenophobe. That too worked just fine. Popped the Agacart back in again and switched to bank 1...and...

This time it worked just fine?! Tried other games and demos loaded up on it and they all worked just fine. So something about my Lynx seemed to require an original game to be used first before the Agacart would work properly? Not sure it was was something to do with the fact that my Lynx hasn't been used in several months or what but yeah. Thought it was interesting.

I really like how the cart looks and feels and the way the LEDs are embedded into the case is really slick! I did notice though, that the cart is a tad thicker than an actual Lynx cart would be. As such it required a tad more force to insert it than actual games do. But..I'm used to this with some of the homebrew carts being this way as well. My Cybervirus from Songbird is a tight fit for instance.

But yeah I'm really pleased with the whole kit! Especially for the price!

There was a slight problem with getting my copy to work at first.

It was getting power i put in a number, got the blinking "p" but nothing happened still just showed "insert game"

All my original games work all the way in.

I contacted Rafal and he suggested trying to put the cartridge not all the way in, after couple of tries i found the correct spot for it to work by adjusting it a bit.

Maby just put it out there if someone else has a problem. My Lynx might be picky, i do not know.

Rafal offered to send me another cartridge, i do not think this one is faulty so i do not think it would change regarding the one i have. I just now how i have to insert it to get it working.

This is a really neat thing and i am overall happy with it.

I actually did try slightly lifing up on mine..etc when it was giving me scrambled graphics at first. But again, once I put an actual Lynx game in and that worked just fine, then the Agacart continued to work thereafter even when I pulled it out and inserted it back in several times between power cycles.

I haven't read the manual yet, but I do wish there was a soft reset instead of powering the lynx on and off each time. I know most of my flash carts actually require this but it would be nice to save wear and tear on the power button and mylar contacts underneath plus less stress on zenner.

- ^ Cro§Bow ^ -, your initial problem was probably due to a bad contact in the cartridge's seat. AgaCart is 0.1mm thicker than the original cartridge, and the contacts are arranged at a slightly different angle. Repeatedly inserting and removing the cartridge cleaned the contacts. :)

You write about resetting Lynx, do you know how to do it without turning off the console? I can send you the AgaCart schema for analysis. :)

I think that you are unnecessarily worried about the damage of the console, in 2 months I pulled out and put the cartridge over 500 times and nothing bad happens. :)

- ^ Cro§Bow ^ -, your initial problem was probably due to a bad contact in the cartridge's seat. AgaCart is 0.1mm thicker than the original cartridge, and the contacts are arranged at a slightly different angle. Repeatedly inserting and removing the cartridge cleaned the contacts. :)
You write about resetting Lynx, do you know how to do it without turning off the console? I can send you the AgaCart schema for analysis. :)
I think that you are unnecessarily worried about the damage of the console, in 2 months I pulled out and put the cartridge over 500 times and nothing bad happens. :)

Certainly possible due to dirty contacts. I will be working with it more over the next few days and this weekend. As I stated, once I put in a regular cart and then plugged in the Aga it fires right up and seems to work normally.

My concern isn't with the Agacart of the contact pins in the cart slot. My main concern is the stress on zener diode with the constant power on/off cycling. I've always had this concern with most of my flashcarts that require turning the console off and back on to select a different game.

Hi

I hope this is the correct place to order a multi cart for the Lynx.

Just pop me on the lst and I can pay via Paypal/bank transfer/CC instantly 

UK based.

Please keep me updated on progress

Thanks

Mike

I received mine yesterday. I expected good, but was suprised how great this thing is packed and manufactured. Very detailed and care taken design. Card itself and box are precisely 3D printed, joy to work with it. Works great and everything is supplied. Works right out of the box.

Thank you for effort.