IGNORED

"AgaCart" my version of the Atari Lynx SD cartridge

rj1307

Got mine. SUPER AWESOME. Definitely worth the $$. My only issue is I can't get it to work with any of my customized, McWill LCD Lynx. It looks like in your video you are using a modified Lynx... So I must just be doing something wrong.

Edited by gamecomposer

Got mine. SUPER AWESOME. Definitely worth the $$. My only issue is I can't get it to work with any of my customized, McWill LCD Lynx. It looks like in your video you are using a modified Lynx... So I must just be doing something wrong.

Can you describe what the problem is? Or take a photo of what it looks like?
Yes, I am using a modified Lynx II and I have no problems.
I've been fixing Lynx I so far and he did not want to work with AgaCart, the SD card error was showing up. The cause was a broken zener diode, on the electronics supply it was 7.8V!

The Lynx won't even power on with the AGA cart in. I also can't get the cart to light up blue in a modded/McWill Lynx, no matter if batteries or on AC. I do think it has the voltage mod on it (I didn't mod it, sorry!) which regulates it to 5v? Does that sound right? Sorry, I am shooting from the hip a bit :-P

Works great in my non-modded Lynx though. I've tried it in my modded Lynx 1 and 2 with the same results as well. Both fire up ok with normal games.

Can you describe what the problem is? Or take a photo of what it looks like?
Yes, I am using a modified Lynx II and I have no problems.
I've been fixing Lynx I so far and he did not want to work with AgaCart, the SD card error was showing up. The cause was a broken zener diode, on the electronics supply it was 7.8V!

I did not understand well if you only have a McWill mod or do you also have a voltage mod?

It is both the McWill + Voltage Mod. To be honest, I am not 100% sure what the voltage mod even does, it just came with it and that was about the only thing I could think of that might be the culprit!

It is both the McWill + Voltage Mod. To be honest, I am not 100% sure what the voltage mod even does, it just came with it and that was about the only thing I could think of that might be the culprit!

Wonder if your Lynx has been fitted with a DC-DC regulator in it vs the Zenner/Diode original method?

Don't know! Probably if that would cause the problem :D haha

I actually don't know if that would cause the issue. Just trying to find what might be different about yours giving you fits with the Agacart is all. Plenty of others here with the McWill LCD kits in place that don't appear to have any issues so again the more info we can figure out the better it is for those looking to buy and especially for RJ1307 as he moves forward with development on it.

At 100% McWill LCD is not the cause.

Unfortunately, I do not know how the voltage mod is made, but I have some suspicion. In the original cartridge, contacts 33 (VCC) and 31 (PWR_ON) are shorted, while in AgaCart, contact 31 is controlled from Atmega64. If the voltage mod uses this signal, there may be problems, its maximum current is 20mA.

At 100% McWill LCD is not the cause.

Unfortunately, I do not know how the voltage mod is made, but I have some suspicion. In the original cartridge, contacts 33 (VCC) and 31 (PWR_ON) are shorted, while in AgaCart, contact 31 is controlled from Atmega64. If the voltage mod uses this signal, there may be problems, its maximum current is 20mA.

Is there anything I can modify on the AGA cart and/or Lynx mod that will allow me to use it? Regardless, the AGA cart is awesome!

Is there anything I can modify on the AGA cart and/or Lynx mod that will allow me to use it? Regardless, the AGA cart is awesome!

Just have to open up your lynx so we can see the inside and see what exactly your voltage mod entails? I think the DC-DC conversion just cuts the normal zenner/diode circuit out of the mix and just has the battery and DC plug going into the input of a DC-DC regulator and the output straight to the lynx +5 power rail.

Came home from holidays and my AgaCart was patiently waiting for me. And wow, what an amazing piece of kit.

Not only is it great in the simplicity of how it works, and having the Lynx's catalogue at your fingertips, but the overall product design is out of this world.

It's clearly been developed with a lot of thought and care, and everything, from how the case slides together to how the LEDs are integrated into the cartridge is extremely slick.

A real thing of beauty and thank you Rafał for creating it for the community. post-63415-0-05771300-1559494215_thumb.jpg

You can do the following for the test as follows:
In the working console, change the software in AgaCart, for this purpose on an empty SD card, burn the agacart.bin file, put it in the console and turn on the power. The letter "P" will flash for a moment and go out, the software has been updated. From now AgaCart will not work with an unmodified console!
Now in the console with voltage mod you need to short-circuit contacts 31 and 33 in the cartridge socket. In the picture I showed which they are.
Change the SD card to the one with games, put it on the console and write if it works.

agacart.bin

post-51893-0-82226900-1559494230_thumb.jpg