IGNORED

Troozers - an introduction

troozers

Hi,

Tis my first time within this forum so I thought it only polite to introduce myself formally.

My name is Andy and I am an Atari 800XL owner of old, my dad having bought me an Atari 800XL as my first computer when they came out in 1983 (or 1984). I have recently resurfaced my love of this machine by purchasing a used one from eBay, along with a ZX-81 (the first computer I ever touched), ZX Spectrum 48K (many a day lost playing on this at my friends house) and Comodore 64 (another friends day out machine).

I am based in Northampton (the original UK version, not the newer US based location) and am wondering whether there are any other Atari owners around here and whether there are any retro clubs, shops, etc., that I should be aware of around here.

I have also gotten myself the Ataru 1050 Disk Drive (which I never had as a child, so that should be fun) and a box full of games to get me back to my mispent yoof'dom.

That's me in a nutshell, drop by and say "Hi" ^_^

• Like 12

Another UK person, welcome...Not that close to you ie West London but we are all up for a natter on here...

I always pick up new English words from you. Natter. Never heard of. But I guess it's a chat :)

I used to watch British TV a lot in the past, like The Bill (I miss UKNova), Royle Family, BBC crime doubles, et cetera.

Picked up a lot of typical British English, like calling your diner 'tea' and your tea 'a cuppa' ;) "OK Romeo, put the kettle on. We're all parched" "Allright, who wants a brew" :)

Edit: oh, and welcome Troozers!

Edited by ivop

ivop, you have a firm grasp of our verbal oddities, can't say I've ever used 'parched' but some of these can be area's of the UK based ie "a cup of Rosy Lee" is cockney rhyming slang for tea so would be more used in the South of the UK...

And yeah, natter is chat as you easily worked out...

Mind you its so much better than "Bruv" and "innit" that the youth now dribble out :)

But enough OT :)

Are there any retro computer clubs these days?

Welcome to AA Troozers! :)

There are regular Atari gatherings on this side of the pond but the tend to be in mainland Europe.

There is an exhibition called "play expo" that tours the UK. It covers all games machines, young and old - including arcade games. There are also guest speakers, traders and a 'cosplay' competition - which is worth a giggle hehe

I met Llamasoft's Jeff Minter at the Blackpool event a couple of years back

Edited by xrbrevin

Hi Troozers,

I was living up the road in Nuneaton but have moved to Australia now. Shame.

Make sure you look into a lot of the recent homebrew games, you will find lists of them on here.

Get yourself over to the shows too. There are Play, Replay, Nerg amongst others based around the country.

Steve