IGNORED

Is this a legit copy of Battlesphere?

sdamike

Hey guys, I'm in need of others input if this is a legit/original copy of Battlesphere. I did some research and couldn't come up with a whole bunch on how to tell if Batllesphere is original or not other than how does the label look and does the cart have gold pins. The cart does have gold pins, but Id like someones more experienced opinion. Heres some pics:

post-24918-0-70537100-1556467171_thumb.jpg

post-24918-0-62325100-1556467286_thumb.jpg

post-24918-0-96999900-1556467439_thumb.jpg

post-24918-0-58262200-1556467461_thumb.jpg

post-24918-0-22985200-1556467483_thumb.jpg

post-24918-0-14994400-1556467516_thumb.jpg

post-24918-0-61588600-1556467536_thumb.jpg

post-24918-0-42679000-1556467558_thumb.jpg

post-24918-0-57217400-1556467584_thumb.jpg

Thanks for any input!

It looks very good, but I was a little unsure of the edge connector it doesn't look to have much in the way of a chamfering on the edge of the PCB. It all looks very good tho.

I dug my copy out which is of the original BS not Gold which I believe yours is also. Taken some pics to compare, I also have an overlay.

Looking at the label on my cart, the blues are a deeper richer blue in the bottom right corner (unless that is just the camera etc), the chamfering on the PCB and length of the pins looks different too.

post-2235-0-52116200-1556472494_thumb.jpg

post-2235-0-20632400-1556472509_thumb.jpg

post-2235-0-12075600-1556472528_thumb.jpg

Could be different runs, but it may be you have a high quality Repro, I cannot say for certain.

HTH

(and yeah I took all pictures stood on my head, it's the only way! bloody technology :/)

Edited by LinkoVitch
  • Like 2

Guys, Id like to firstly say thank you for the quick input, Really I am truly grateful.

I tried to match the pictures of the pins to compare to yours above:

post-24918-0-18846300-1556474230_thumb.jpg

post-24918-0-44126800-1556474256_thumb.jpg

And also here is another pic of the label if it helps :

post-24918-0-44707200-1556474396_thumb.jpg

Let me know if any other pics would help, thanks again

Guys, Id like to firstly say thank you for the quick input, Really I am truly grateful.

I tried to match the pictures of the pins to compare to yours above:

attachicon.gifDSCN1725.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN1729.JPG

And also here is another pic of the label if it helps :

attachicon.gifDSCN1724.JPG

Let me know if any other pics would help, thanks again

That's definitely legit. If it's not, I would sure like to know the person making repros that damn good!

Ok cool, that is great news.

Man I wish I found it in the wild. No I paid up for it and was told it was legit, and to me, it seemed legit after doing some quick research. I didnt think much of it after that. Shortly after buying it, I bought some more games from the same seller. 1 of them was a reproduction and he didnt tell me it was. So then I wondered if Battlesphere was a reproduction too and I missed something. I knew I was still covered by paypal but not for much longer so I was looking for some quick opinions on it. So I really do appreciate the fast help from everyone.
But Im very relieved it is real and happy to have it. Thanks again guys!

Just as an FYI... I bought one off Etsy which I knew to be fake, and it looks identical to yours, except that my cartridge says ATARI on the back, rather than a plain cartridge shell.

I have all the exact same edge connector leads, and it looks exactly like yours. Mine didn't come with the box though.

EDIT: This is my "fake" BattleSphere game: Interesting to note, mine says "Reproduction Label" and lacks the 4-Play logo. But aside from that, it's really good quality.

INk122G.jpg

Edited by 82-T/A

Just as an FYI... I bought one off Etsy which I knew to be fake, and it looks identical to yours, except that my cartridge says ATARI on the back, rather than a plain cartridge shell.

I have all the exact same edge connector leads, and it looks exactly like yours. Mine didn't come with the box though.

EDIT: This is my "fake" BattleSphere game: Interesting to note, mine says "Reproduction Label" and lacks the 4-Play logo. But aside from that, it's really good quality.

INk122G.jpg

How much did pay for this cart if you don't mind me asking?

How much did pay for this cart if you don't mind me asking?

I paid $39 w/ shipping. It wasn't a bad price, and the game plays really well... like I said, the quality of the cartridge is spectacular.

I do want to caveat that I'm generally not in the business of buying hacks and fake copies... but I really was at a loss here. I'm just not willing to pay $500-1,000 for a game that I'm probably going to get bored with after 10 minutes. I *literally* buy every homebrew that comes out... having missed only Battlesphere and Gorf because they were produced during a time when I dropped off the gaming hobby for a couple of years. I've got everything else that's been released. Of my "fake" games... I have Battlesphere, and a 4-in-1 NES cartridge that has all four Dragon Warriors on it. But I own Dragon Warrior 1 and 2 also. I thought I had three, but checked and I don't.

• Like 1

82ta, the label coloring on yours is clearly different. Obvious fake, which is a good thing. If there is to be counterfeiting, it's better when the differences are obvious.

Edit professional tip: you can see the rosette pattern from the 4-color process printing in the original label from the op. (zoom in) That means it was printed on a printing press. That also explains why the black level is overall lighter on the original, which I'm not going to explain right now. Why does this indicate authenticity? Because it alludes that 4play paid a couple hundred bucks for printing plates, and possibly some tooling and had a small roll (1000?) Of professional labels ran for their product.

82ta label looks like it was done on a home inkjet printer.

82ta, the label coloring on yours is clearly different. Obvious fake, which is a good thing. If there is to be counterfeiting, it's better when the differences are obvious.

Edit professional tip: you can see the rosette pattern from the 4-color process printing in the original label from the op. (zoom in) That means it was printed on a printing press. That also explains why the black level is overall lighter on the original, which I'm not going to explain right now. Why does this indicate authenticity? Because it alludes that 4play paid a couple hundred bucks for printing plates, and possibly some tooling and had a small roll (1000?) Of professional labels ran for their product.

82ta label looks like it was done on a home inkjet printer.

I'm certainly not defending it as a valid copy... but the picture I took isn't great, and the lighting is all bright white LED which likely has washed out some of the color. As for the quality of the sticker... you'd have to see it in person. It's printed on the same type of glossy sticker paper that all the other carts have. It's really done quite well... certainly much better than most other home brews I see (corners properly cut, no smudging, high resolution). But, I certainly agree with you. I doubt it was made in a print shop, but probably a high-end desk jet printer. It doesn't have that "matte" finish that most desk jet printed stickers have though.

I'm a pro printer of over 20 years. I'm just giving some expert insight. I'm able to immediately spot the label differences, most probably wouldn't. I don't like it when counterfeits try to exactly duplicate because it really makes authentication difficult. The neo geo market has dealt with that for years to where you basically have to open the carts up to verify.

Matte , gloss doesn't matter. Understand that you can feed gloss, semigloss, matte etc.. into any inkjet printer as well as gloss or matte inks. The BATTLE word in yours is blue and red, it's not that way on the original. That stands out the most right away. The blue/red is there on the original, but it's in process and the artwork was designed to be like a metal sheen. Of course there could be some fading after 25 years.

I'm a pro printer of over 20 years. I'm just giving some expert insight. I'm able to immediately spot the label differences, most probably wouldn't. I don't like it when counterfeits try to exactly duplicate because it really makes authentication difficult. The neo geo market has dealt with that for years to where you basically have to open the carts up to verify.

Matte , gloss doesn't matter. Understand that you can feed gloss, semigloss, matte etc.. into any inkjet printer as well as gloss or matte inks. The BATTLE word in yours is blue and red, it's not that way on the original. That stands out the most right away. The blue/red is there on the original, but it's in process and the artwork was designed to be like a metal sheen. Of course there could be some fading after 25 years.

Yeah, I think it's good too that they put reproduction label. It was obvious to me that they weren't trying to pass it off as real, since they only charged $39 for it too. They also have GORF and some game called Asteroids, which looks like a modern rendition of the original Atari game, though... not as exciting as Rebooteroids.