IGNORED

Jr Pac-Man fix?

jetset

1 hour ago, Kr0tki said:

Well, if we consider that Atari were prototyping their first bank-switched cartridge around that time... Who knows what the final version would look like if not for the Tramiels.

I have some GCC contacts, I should ask them about this.  It seems kind of odd to leave out the intermissions since all the 5200 versions of Pac-Man had them, but maybe there just wasn't enough space and the extra cost wasn't worth it? 

I may have a lead on the 2-28 version of 5200 Jr. Pac-Man.  I'm hoping this version is the same as the 7-10 rom but for the 5200.

• Like 2

Just join them in the LO-HI order (see attachment) and it works, when you choose the one-chip 16KB cartridge mapping. The 1-24 prototype uses the two-chip mapping - apparently they switched to a one-chip memory layout mid-production, same as in the case of the various Choplifter prototypes.

The only difference between the 1-24 and 2-28 prototypes I noticed is that the power pellet bug has been fixed. Still no intermissions, and the sounds, the bear level, and the title screen are all identical.

Jr. Pac-Man (1984-02-28)(Atari)(US)(proto).rom

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kr0tki said:

Just join them in the LO-HI order (see attachment) and it works, when you choose the one-chip 16KB cartridge mapping. The 1-24 prototype uses the two-chip mapping - apparently they switched to a one-chip memory layout mid-production, same as in the case of the various Choplifter prototypes.

The only difference between the 1-24 and 2-28 prototypes I noticed is that the power pellet bug has been fixed. Still no intermissions, and the sounds, the bear level, and the title screen are all identical.

Jr. Pac-Man (1984-02-28)(Atari)(US)(proto).rom 16 kB · 0 downloads

Ah I was still using the 2 chip bankswitching.

So that's really the only difference between the two?  Wow, I was hoping for a version identical to the 8-Bit proto.  I guess someone will still need to port that one then.

@scotty is the high difficulty you saw in the 1-24 proto still in the 2-28 proto?

• 5 months later...
3 minutes ago, Kr0tki said:

Why can't you just use the 16 KB ROM image

I can, and I have it in 16k, but I also found 32k that are supposed to be for the 5200, but the ones I have found do not actually work.

I have it in cartridge form also which is a 32k rom image, so was wondering why the ones I have found don't work

@Kr0tkiIs there any possible way you could port the final 8-Bit version to the 5200?  It's a shame that the 5200 was the development system for the game yet never got the completed version.  I say this not knowing how easy or difficult it is to do such a thing so if I'm way out of line just let me know.  I'm not a programmer. :)

Jr. Pac-man (7-10-84).rom

2 hours ago, Kr0tki said:

Sorry, it's just not my cup of tea.

Maybe Paul Lay @playsoft can come out of retirement and do it, I hope he can as well as some other 8-bit titles I'll later present in a .zip folder for him to convert as well as perhaps the two Maclean versions of 8-bit Defender and Stargate mentioned in another thread