IGNORED

Atari Lynx 30th Birthday Programming Competition

Igor

There hasn't been many registrations, hopefully all that means is people are waiting until later on to register. If you want to submit something please register soon so we can work out whether we will run this contest or not.

I'm a gonna register (as soon as I decide what I want to do).

Haven't entered a console programming contest since 2005! (Chopper X in PDRoms 3.33 competition).

May pull out an old unfinished demo/proto and finish it off, or maybe do a very simple new game, probably involving dachshunds...

Alternatively, I can be a judge if you need one.

Edited by jum
  • Like 1

@necorica -- have you pitched getting a mention of this to any of the big youtube folks? MetalJesusRocks, etc?

There are also known Lynx fans in the tech press, such as James Trew over at Engadget...

(https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/21/wyvern-tales-lynx-homebrew-jrpg-irl/)

Take it mainstream baby!

• Like 1

I'm a gonna register (as soon as I decide what I want to do).

Haven't entered a console programming contest since 2005! (Chopper X in PDRoms 3.33 competition).

May pull out an old unfinished demo/proto and finish it off, or maybe do a very simple new game, probably involving dachshunds...

Alternatively, I can be a judge if you need one.

Finishing an old demo/proto is great! The sponsors of the competition will be the judges as per the rules, we probably have enough people to do that, but thanks for the offer.

@necorica -- have you pitched getting a mention of this to any of the big youtube folks? MetalJesusRocks, etc?

There are also known Lynx fans in the tech press, such as James Trew over at Engadget...

(https://www.engadget.com/2018/05/21/wyvern-tales-lynx-homebrew-jrpg-irl/)

Take it mainstream baby!

I haven't but that's not a bad idea!

• Like 1

I might join too - I've been waiting to create something for the Lynx for quite some time, so this feels like the perfect opportunity to finally try to do something ! :)

One question about the "original game only" rule: are we allowed to port/adapt/remake one of our previous original games?

Or must everything be created from scratch during the competition?

Thanks for creating this competition, I hope it'll happen!

• Like 3

Hello drludos, great to hear you're interested. The no ports rule means you can't do a direct port/recreate an existing game e.g. Space Invaders is not allowed. You can however base your game on an existing game, which of course means you need to add your own original elements in some sort of way (change to game play, different graphics, etc). Hope that answers your questions. :-D

• Like 3

Hello drludos, great to hear you're interested. The no ports rule means you can't do a direct port/recreate an existing game e.g. Space Invaders is not allowed. You can however base your game on an existing game, which of course means you need to add your own original elements in some sort of way (change to game play, different graphics, etc). Hope that answers your questions. :-D

Thanks for your answer!

Actually, my idea would be to try to port one of my previous homebrew games. For example, let's say that i'd like to make a Lynx version of Sheep It Up!, a game I made for Atari 2600 (https://www.atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1175). Would that be allowed for the competition or be outside of the rules?

(in that case, there would be no copyright infringement, as I would be the creator of the "ported" game too)

• Like 2

5th team entry from Fades is confirmed! This is going to go ahead at this point, will have some small changes to the competition but it's definitely happening!

Nice to have Fadest on board as well. I hope the "small changes" is not to limit the development time to 24 hours ;)

• Like 1

The Retroguru entry is taking shape and for my personal entry I'm going to present Final Melee, the LCD style game I started in the other thread. Not the best title I could present, but don't have time for anything else since I have to finish Griel's Quest and another "secret" project.

I plan to make the official submission for both the titles for the middle of june.

• Like 3

Should have an update tomorrow. No major changes, but given there were no demo entries, the competition will be limited to games only. A few other clarifications added, it's mostly what's been discussed in this thread already. I'm just chasing up about prize sponsors now, once I have a reply then I'll update the page. Oh and all entries will be open for comment by the community, which will be considered for final rankings :grin:

• Like 1

That's correct, no physical carts of your game will be produced, however you can elect whether your game will be on the Lynx SD cart as one of the default ROMs (this is mentioned in the prizes section I think).

• Like 1