IGNORED

Atari Lynx 30th Birthday Programming Competition

Igor

About physical copies... It is likely that there will be physical copies released later in autumn for On Duty by me. The other title "Find a way to my heart" will not be available in cart form as a stand-alone game (Unless you burn it to cart by yourself). It may later be an extra game on some other cart.

• Like 1

Looking forward to both of these Karri. Apologies about the delay in the competition update, I had am unexpected dentist visit, but I've confirmed with another sponsor so an update is coming up!

Atari Gamer, together with RetroHQ, Gaming Displays and a number of private sponsors are happy to announce that the Atari Lynx 30th Birthday Programming Competition has officially begun! A number of contestants have already registered, but registrations are still open, so if you have an idea for a game, head on over and show us!

post-54616-0-37984500-1558855738_thumb.png

Some of the rules have been updated, mostly the removal of the demo category and addition of rules around choosing prizes. There's a new prize (AgaCart) available for the top 3 winners too.

• Like 3

Wonderful! :)

Great job on the competition I hope you'll receive loads of entries!

As soon as I manage to find some time to install a Lynx SDK, I'll joint it too.

I'm also very impressed that Karri already submitted one of his entries: did you use some time traveling technique? :)

• Like 2

The amount of hours I put on "Find a way to my heart" was around 20. So it is not exactly "Final Fantasy 7".

The 2nd title is much bigger (closer to Final Fantasy 7) so I had to get rid of the 1st entry to have a chance to finish it by August, There is a risk that I won't make the dead-line for the 2nd entry.

• Like 2

The amount of hours I put on "Find a way to my heart" was around 20.

Those speed coding runs are the funniest coding moments :D

Good luck with On Duty, it will be a nice addition to Lynx library.

On my side, I choosed a project and started to code some routines, if I don't change my mind until the end of compo, it will be a little strategy cardgame with a scenario. Hope to make something nice with it.

• Like 2

Those speed coding runs are the funniest coding moments :D

Good luck with On Duty, it will be a nice addition to Lynx library.

On my side, I choosed a project and started to code some routines, if I don't change my mind until the end of compo, it will be a little strategy cardgame with a scenario. Hope to make something nice with it.

For me it was not really speed coding. I stuck in bed for a month. The logic of the game was just copy-pasted from minesweeper. But I did code a different goal to the game. And I wanted a different layout for the tiles so I had to code that also.

Most of the time was spent in making the sounds and the background music. I really like the final soundtrack myself. A tribute to Phil Collins tune with the same name.

The lack of a touch screen makes tile games and card games difficult. I wish you luck Fadest.

My kids have been playing a strategic card game called "Heartstone" on their mobile phones for ages.

Oh, this is not this kind of card game (too hard to balance for a single developer), in fact there is no card in hands, and even there will be no cards in Lynx game. It will be more like a bordgame on Lynx.

But right now, I have ask for permission to the original author of the card game as I feel confident to be able to develop it. But right now, I can not tell more before agreement.

The Retroguru entry has the code for the single player mode already finished and it's under test from my kids. It's a nice platformer IMHO.

But the team wants a full reskin of the game and new musics, so I think I'll will confirm my submission close to the deadline.

Not to say that I really want to add a multiplayer mode and my experiments with comlynx are halted till I'll have the programmer PI Hat from Igor.

Deadlines sucks :)

Anyway this contest will bring a lot of interesting things to the scene this year.

• Like 2

Deadlines sucks :)

Yep. But play-ability rules. With these guys on board this competition seems to be getting tough this year.

If we get a rainy summer I might even finish On Duty on time. If the summer is sunny I rather go sailing and perhaps dancing a bit.

PS. For those who have not yet started on their entries have a look at the enhanced cc65 template. Nop90 did a nice work by coding in support for Restart, Flip, Pause (with automatic cut music and set screen to grey). There is also built-in support for SD cart eeproms and real eeproms. Starting from this may be a great time saver. My 1st entry "Find a way to my heart" was built on top of it.

Edited by karri
  • Like 1

Deadlines are a pain but this one's special since it's for the 30th birthday of the Lynx. This isn't the last competition I'm planning either, and the next one will have a much longer period to develop your game!

Seems I jumped on the lynx coding train at the right time.

Was looking at this forum since two years ago waiting the inspiration to start coding for an old console, and never saw such an activity like in the last months.

• Like 4

Yep. But play-ability rules. With these guys on board this competition seems to be getting tough this year.

If we get a rainy summer I might even finish On Duty on time. If the summer is sunny I rather go sailing and perhaps dancing a bit.

PS. For those who have not yet started on their entries have a look at the enhanced cc65 template. Nop90 did a nice work by coding in support for Restart, Flip, Pause (with automatic cut music and set screen to grey). There is also built-in support for SD cart eeproms and real eeproms. Starting from this may be a great time saver. My 1st entry "Find a way to my heart" was built on top of it.

Thanks Karri and Nop90 for the template, i've looked into it, and you made a wonderful job to allow us to start without having to write a lot of difficult code!

I'd like to use your CC65 version for my entry, but I have a real newbie question: is there any way to get your version of CC65 in compiled windows binaries form?

(the download section on your bitbucket repo seems to only have debian packages)

Have you tried getting the source and building it yourself? That's what I did (on my Mac). I didn't use Karri's template however, but I still needed to build CC65 myself from source.

• Like 1

Have you tried getting the source and building it yourself? That's what I did (on my Mac). I didn't use Karri's template however, but I still needed to build CC65 myself from source.

If there isn't already a pre-built Mac based cc65 toolchain posted to the public, it would be great if you could do that!

If there isn't already a pre-built Mac based cc65 toolchain posted to the public, it would be great if you could do that!

I've got an article on how to set it up here - https://atarigamer.com/articles/setting-up-development-tools-for-atari-lynx-programming-on-macos

I'd like to move away from sprpck in the future and use sp65 instead. I've not explored that too much but there are differences.

• Like 1

Yes, I've read the full tutorial on how to set up and compile the dev environment (thanks for writing them).

To be honest, as it looked like quite complicated with a lot of stuff to install, I was hoping that there was some precompiled windows builds floating around, even if they are not up to date, so I could go through a simplified / easier process :).

Do you confirm me that they're isn't any compiled release available?

Yes, I've read the full tutorial on how to set up and compile the dev environment (thanks for writing them).

To be honest, as it looked like quite complicated with a lot of stuff to install, I was hoping that there was some precompiled windows builds floating around, even if they are not up to date, so I could go through a simplified / easier process :).

Do you confirm me that they're isn't any compiled release available?

I am not aware of a Windows compiled release. I have tried the stuff below on Windows.

1) Run http://www.cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe

This is because the Windows was a 64 bit version. For a 32 bit version you have to install setup-x86.exe instead.

During installation I just clicked "Next" to everything except to the screen "Select packages".

Here I added the first versions of

gcc core

git

make

2) Open a Cygwin shell by clicking on the Cygwin icon on the desktop.

Type:

git clone https://bitbucket.org/atarilynx/lynx.git

This will fetch the C-compiler cc65 sources from the net.

Then we need to compile and install everything. Type:

cd lynx/tools/cc65

make -f make/gcc.mak

make -f make/gcc.mak install

Now we are ready to develop the first Lynx program.

You could also write your code in Linux on a raspberry pi like Karri does. If you're buying the cart programmer/reader/writer board you'll already will need a raspberry pi so it's a good solution.

Thanks for the idea of the Raspberry based setup! It does seems a great idea to be able to do test on real hardware easily.

Honestly, as I'm only beginning, I'll first try to have the sdk running on my usual windows machine so I can make something for your competition - but it's cool to see what tools the pro are using! :)

Do you also do some dev directly on the Raspberry? Or do you transfer the rom from your Mac to the Rapsberry with programmer only once in a while to test the game on real cart?

• Like 1

The software for reading/writing carts is developed on the RPi (actually I use an editor on my Mac but the files are accessible over the network). I've not been doing any Lynx development on the RPi myself, so I only transfer a ROM when I want to make a cart. Typically I would use the online Lynx emulator to test things (https://atarigamer.com/lynx/play) and when I am ready to try it on real hardware I usually use the Lynx SD cartridge first as it's easier/quicker than making a stand-alone cart.

I am mostly using my Ubuntu laptop for developing right now. Last year I coded most of the stuff on an Android tablet. You could also code on a mobile phone.

Just choose the computer you use most of the time.

When I code on Raspberry I use Mednafen to run the game between compilations and usually "vi" to edit the source files.

Example of my workflow:

vi game/game.c

make

mednafen cart/findaway.lnx

So I stay on the same command window all the time.

Edited by karri