IGNORED

Atari Lynx 30th Birthday Programming Competition

Igor

Yes, I've read the full tutorial on how to set up and compile the dev environment (thanks for writing them).

To be honest, as it looked like quite complicated with a lot of stuff to install, I was hoping that there was some precompiled windows builds floating around, even if they are not up to date, so I could go through a simplified / easier process :).

Do you confirm me that they're isn't any compiled release available?

I am using a precompiled Windows version of CC65 (on Windows 7).

Just looked up where I got it from: https://sourceforge.net/projects/cc65/

It seems to be 4 years old now.

I followed the link from the CC65 main page: https://cc65.github.io/

Not sure if there is something better now, but this version is much better than the "old" cc65.

Edit: Looking at the https://github.com/cc65/cc65 src files, it seems there is some recent activity. May be possible to build cc65 using Visual Studio?

- Jum

PS: I anyone has any ideas on how to do a fast vertically scrolling playfield on the Lynx, please let me know. At the moment I am experimenting with using 2 80 x 102 sprites, stretched 4x horizontally.

Edited by jum

Oh, this is not this kind of card game (too hard to balance for a single developer), in fact there is no card in hands, and even there will be no cards in Lynx game. It will be more like a bordgame on Lynx.

But right now, I have ask for permission to the original author of the card game as I feel confident to be able to develop it. But right now, I can not tell more before agreement.

Finally, no agreement, the original game will probably become private (maybe a future extended physical edition ?)

So I have to find something else...

• 2 weeks later...

Cool to see another entry!

On my end, I've been trying to compile CC65 karri version, without any success so far.

I've tried different version of GCC (various mingW and cygwin versions), but all lead to the same compilation errors for the "bin" target:

In file included from abend.c:37:0:
../../include/stdio.h:92:19: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribut
e__' before 'clearerr'
 void __fastcall__ clearerr (FILE* f);

I have about 20-30 similar errors and the compilation fails.

So, as suggested by Jum, I've tried to use the prebuilt cc65 binaries for windows. Those works fine (thanks), but sadly they don't seem to work with the Karri/Nop90 template :(. I have the following errors:

game.c(10): Error: Conflicting types for 'lynx_snd_init'
game.c(11): Error: Conflicting types for 'lynx_snd_pause'
game.c(12): Error: Conflicting types for 'lynx_snd_continue'
game.c(14): Error: Conflicting types for 'lynx_snd_stop'
game.c(138): Error: Call to undefined function 'JOY_BTN_UP'

and so on.

So, I've tried to add the "bin" directory for Jum's CC65 build into Karri version, and it doesn't work either (it complains about missing "longbank.mac" file, etc.).

If anyone here is using Karri's CC65 on windows, could you please share the content of your "bin" directory here?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edited by drludos

I just installed cygwin from the link http://www.cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe

Then chose gcc-core (You need to choose Devel section from the list and scroll down for a while.)

Also install git and make.

After cygwin install the shell should be the first item in the menue.

Nop's improved template compiles nicely on this setup.

I did this on a new Win 10 laptop just now.

The template also compiled without error messages as seen in the last screenshot.

post-2099-0-71500400-1560616706_thumb.png

post-2099-0-11970200-1560616718_thumb.png

post-2099-0-21572600-1560616866_thumb.png

post-2099-0-41314800-1560617061_thumb.png

Thanks a lot Karri for your help, and for taking the time to retest the whole installation process for me.

I finally managed to get the compilation working (with mingW) by using a more recent mingw64 instead of the mingW32 builds I had tried earlier. I did get a few warning (variables declared but not used), but no errors! :)

Once the bins were built, building the rest of the lib worked smoothly.

I also tried to compile Nop90&yours template, and it runs perfectly!

So thanks again to all of you for your help, I have finally set up the LynxDev toolchain on my computer!

Now I'll dive into the wonderful LX.Net tutorial while thinking about a game idea, and hopefully I'll be able to create something by the end of the summer! :)

Edited by drludos
  • Like 2

Just remember that Karri's template uses the earlier version of CC65 and that has very different defines for things like joystick keys. That's probably what you're seeing in those warnings. Glad you have it working!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I'll try my best to make something fun to play on the Lynx!

As I'm learning how the hardware works, I must admit that I'm really impressed how powerful Suzy is, especially when sprites are chained! So thanks again for running this competition, it was the perfect motivation to discover how the Lynx works from the inside!

• Like 3

You're most welcome! I'm looking at getting something for all entrants, been talking to SainT about it and we're checking out options. It would be nice to be able to give a memento to everyone who enters.

• 2 weeks later...

Small question about submissions :

Do you want to keep them private (only for jury) until submission deadline or result deadline, or can we post the ROM in public before  - I mean before submission in order to have some feedback, or before end of contest for the 2 or 3 people who could enjoy a new Lynx game :D ?

1 hour ago, Nop90 said:

I would like to make a private group on this site to test my game, but all the people that could help me are competitors or in the jury. ?

I'm neither jury nor competitor, and happy to help test/give any of the teams feedback (with the caveat that you should check with Igor that is OK first!)

14 minutes ago, Fadest said:

I guess I can post first draft of the manual.

It doesn't even have screenshot, but a proof reading by an english native person could be great.

Printing it out now.

If you can separately post the text (as a text file) that would be easier to edit in word or google docs with "track changes" to show/make some suggestions regarding English phrases.

17 hours ago, Fadest said:

Small question about submissions :

Do you want to keep them private (only for jury) until submission deadline or result deadline, or can we post the ROM in public before  - I mean before submission in order to have some feedback, or before end of contest for the 2 or 3 people who could enjoy a new Lynx game :D ?

I don't mind if you release the ROM before the deadline to get feedback. Karri's sent his ROM to me already, but I've not played it. So if you don't mind other competitors seeing your work go ahead, I won't be playing any of the games and won't be sending the ROMs to any of the judges (or uploading on AtariGamer) until all of the submissions are in.

?

You can find a public beta ROM 0.1 here :

https://www.yaronet.com/topics/190730-atari-lynx-30th-birthday-programming-competition#post-14

The forum is in french but you can use english also.

Basically, the engin game is 95% done, 11 on 31 levels files are done.

It includes the prologue (10%% done - I used to spend 10-12 minutes to complete it 100% but you can skip it after maybe 5 minutes), and 2 "tracks" on 9 of the main game (a tracks consist of more complex levels chained)

The goal is to make 5-10 more levels (2-3 tracks) for submission, and maybe complete the game, maybe into a commercial one in a second time.

On 7/10/2019 at 2:39 PM, Fadest said:

I guess I can post first draft of the manual.

It doesn't even have screenshot, but a proof reading by an english native person could be great.

Ynxa manual.pdf 251.22 kB · 9 downloads

Taking a look now.  1st thing I would change is on page 2:
"This game takes profit of" should be "This games takes advantage of", or even "This game uses the EEProm save".

Page 5 - Leaf:
"Bring to the pyramid" I would change to "Brought to the pyramid"

"some friend" should be "some friends"

Page 6 - Fire:

"if a fall from a high position, he breaks" I would use "if he falls from a high position, he breaks."

Page 7 - Water:

"he can go in small tunnel" - "he can go into small tunnels"

Manual looks great, and I want to see the game in action!  Please don't think I was being harsh in the above suggestions as I certainly can't speak nor write French.  Just wanted to help out.