IGNORED

Atari Lynx 30th Birthday Programming Competition

Igor

13 hours ago, necrocia said:

To all of the competitors - you should have an email from Atari Gamer, please have a look and respond accordingly. Let me know if it ended up in your Spam folder too.

Emailed a pre-release version of my compo game back to sender.

13 hours ago, necrocia said:

I'll add that to my TO-DO list. What may be better is to not update the files, but rather fix the header when/if the ROM is downloaded - this way if the database changes, new downloads will have new information.

That would be pretty sweet. So you'd generate the LNX file on the fly at the time it is requested? Or for efficiency, you could pre-flight that by generating the file each time the database is updated in such a way as would imply a change to the LNX header, and then just be serving a straight file instead of a stream.

• Like 1

Looking at the screenshot of the seven submitted games the contest is really promising.

Can belve I finished Nutmeg in only two months, usually it takes me twice this time. I'm worried I did not it at my best.

Hope to receive a lot of feedbacks to make an updated version for  the end of this year and maybe make a physical release.

Edited by Nop90
  • Like 2

So far I've only posted the title screens for the games, the rest of the screenshots will be put up on the 1st. Having played all the submitted games so far, I have to say that I'm BLOWN AWAY by how good they are! Really well done everyone!

I love the title screen in the Lynx Quest with 20+ levels. If time permits I would like to record small 15-30 sec videos of each game to be placed as singles in my jukebox at PRGE. The jukebox also has autoplay so it would rotate different games in a random order. So the games are playable from 1st of September? Right?

• Like 1

Yep they will be. I'll start preparing a feature page for them during the week so it is ready on time.

How do you plan to record videos? Is it possible to record audio and video from an emulator?

Edited by necrocia

3 hours ago, necrocia said:

Yep they will be. I'll start preparing a feature page for them during the week so it is ready on time.

How do you plan to record videos? Is it possible to record audio and video from an emulator?

Actually I bought a HDMI recorder that records audio and video from a HDMI source. It also has a VGA+audio -> HDMI module. I have no clue of how good it is. But I have several use cases for it in case it works.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, necrocia said:

There are various Mac and PC apps that will record an app window + audio (and even + microphone if you want to capture commentary)

Looks like there are also the same for Android.

And of course you could use a McWill with VGA Out.

Perhaps ask what some of the YouTube reviewers use for a setup? For example Lynx Lounge?

Folks that give it a try, please report back -- I'm curious myself...

• Like 1

I just recorded "Find a way to my heart" using Mednafen. The command was:

mednafen -qtrecord /home/karri/findaway.mov cart/findaway.lnx

The resulting file is here:

http://79.125.115.174/pics/findaway.mov

Both the video and sound was properly recorded.

Edit:

I also recorded the first level in On Duty

http://79.125.115.174/pics/onduty.mov

6 minutes ago, karri said:

Both the video and sound was properly recorded.

That is so handy ;-)

Down side... I wasn't able to get the file to play on a Mac.

Standard apps (and quicktime) wouldn't recognize it at all, VLC at first wouldn't either, and then after updating from 3.0.x to the latest 3.0.8, was able to show the video, but the audio was broken up.

I presume you are working on Windows or Linux?

19 minutes ago, bhall408 said:

That is so handy ;-)

Down side... I wasn't able to get the file to play on a Mac.

Standard apps (and quicktime) wouldn't recognize it at all, VLC at first wouldn't either, and then after updating from 3.0.x to the latest 3.0.8, was able to show the video, but the audio was broken up.

I presume you are working on Windows or Linux?

Yes. I have been developing graphical software for the Mac and lots of stuff for Windows. But the last 10+ years I have enjoyed Linux.

I can re-encode them in Linux to mp4's. Lets see...

Edit:

Now we have easier versions

http://79.125.115.174/pics/findaway.mp4

http://79.125.115.174/pics/onduty.mp4

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bhall408 said:

Great -- those open right up in the browser (Safari)

Nice!

Some of my later levels have kept my testers fighting for hours. So I might record a complete walkthrough of every level sometimes after the PRGE.

Most levels are randomized so the level looks a bit different when you play it a second time.

A few maps are also multi-layered and may be a bit hard to memorize. But you should always be able to solve a level. All levels have more than one solution.

Fantastic! I'll have to get mednafen working then. I'll try and record short videos before the 1st so they can be out there when the games are ready to play. Thanks for sharing Karri! I also noticed that RetroArch has an option to record gameplay, even stream it too, but I've not been able to find it on my version yet.

Core code for 4ttude is completed and the 2 playes mode is working fine.

It's not refined as most of the other entries, but I'm really bad with gfx.

I'm trying to make better backgrounds and fix the out of tune notes in the musics now.

With a gfx artist for making some good pixel art images and giving me hints on the game layout this game could gain a lot.

Hope that the comlinx support will give it extra points.

@necrocia  please wait a couple of days before making a video for this entry, I'll send asap a new version.

• Like 1