IGNORED

Atari Lynx 30th Birthday Programming Competition

Igor

to be sure:

Last day for sending initial release is before 1st semptember (31th august) right?. Because banner says 30th august but here in the topic its "before september 1st" phrase

We will have initial release 31th august and finished/polished one a week later. 

Edited by solo/ng
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, solo/ng said:

to be sure:

Last day for sending initial release is before 1st semptember (31th august) right?. Because banner says 30th august but here in the topic its "before september 1st" phrase

We will have initial release 31th august and finished/polished one a week later. 

As long as I have them before the end of this weekend it's fine. Keep in mind that I'm in the GMT+10 time zone, so the 30th for you is 31st for me. I know most of the entries are from around EU/US so I'll be flexible due to these huge time zone differences. I wanted to have a day buffer time to finish all the new pages for the games, but I'll probably be releasing everything on Monday afternoon anyway, GMT+10 time zone. Hope that answers your question.

Next time I'll have an automated system for submissions and a count-down so it's 100% clear. Apologies, it's my first time running something like this!

Edited by necrocia
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, LordKraken said:

Don't put your expectation too high... it's going to be only a small part of the game unfortunately as I'm way too slow to make the pixelart :(

(i'll get myself a team next time :D)

I've read that not even 10% of gamers ever finish games. I've always also been a casual player like that, having the most fun in the first few levels (and then pretty much ending up playing those first levels again when I'm "re-visiting" the game). Personally I pretty much only ever played the first two levels in Another World too on my Amiga 500. It's a bit ironic really since developing the base for a game and maybe a couple of levels is the most fun, then there's a HUGE effort creating a bigger sized game with a lot of levels / level design that most gamers wont see anyway.

So from a "game creator" point of view I'd say it's completely ok to not create massive homebrew games (although there's been a lot of impressive homebrew games for retro systems the last few years). I think there's room for small- and medium- sized games too, and not only "AAA" stuff :) As you say, if one is to create something "epic" It'd probably help to have a team with dedicated individuals for music, coding, pixel art... AND an "intern" for doing all that 3D printing, label cutting and mailing physical copies :D (I remember Ninjabbas "never again" comment, haha). Then again some of us probably get bored of only doing the same thing all along through a project, it's quite a lot of fun to switch between doing all of those things.

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Like 2

Often the gamer gets stuck at some point. Banging your head against the wall is not fun.

In Cuphead I love the fun and surprising characters popping up. It keeps the game fresh and interesting.

385573141_images(1).jpeg.9b635071aae02222e58f6a9ac3b1c782.jpeg 1707684993_images(2).jpeg.b7e914abbe44911765304aab1572ba5d.jpeg

My graphics sheet for On Duty is a bit smaller.

I tried to make up for it by creating different kind of missions. The missions do not repeat and I have only 9 levels in the game. So there is no reason to just play the first level and skip the rest. Besides due to eeprom/SD compatibility you can always start from the point you ended last time.

• Like 1

Ah, beautiful Cuphead! That's what I thought games would look like in the future when I was a kid. :love: Instead we got 3D, which is fine, but does 99% of new games and animated movies have to be 3d? :_(

31 minutes ago, karri said:

I tried to make up for it by creating different kind of missions. The missions do not repeat and I have only 9 levels in the game. So there is no reason to just play the first level and skip the rest. Besides due to eeprom/SD compatibility you can always start from the point you

ended last time.

From the testing I've done so far I've really liked the level design in on duty. You can really tell some thought went into it! :thumbsup:

I wonder if there's someone here in the Lynx community that's genuinely interested in level design? That would probably be of a great help in some new team-created Lynx games.

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx
  • Thanks 1

I've been watching a lot of videos on level design and starting to appreciate the art of it more and more, though it's not something that I'd like to have as my primary focus. I've recently finished Journey on PS4 and that was a masterpiece is level design I thought. Your point about playing the first few levels of a game are very valid and I must admit I often fall into that category, especially if I get stuck.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, enthusi said:

Tested, submitting now ;)

photo5424618878706756454.jpg

Now that's what I call a test bench! Congrats on finishing the game, I'm looking forward to play it.

Also, as I only own a Lynx II, is it me or the Lynx I screen actually looks better than the unmodified Lynx II one? (there seems to be more vertical tracing on Lynx II than on Lynx I). I always believed the Lynx II was slightly better than the first model...

• Like 1

Do not take this picture as reference. As you notice from the perspective the camera was right above the Lynx I and sees the Lynx II at an unfortunate angle. The modded LCD doesnt care much for this at all. The 'stripes' are also a moiree effect. In reality both screens are pretty comparable in fact but I saw the quality of original LCDs differ notably between units (of same version).

The shot below is less sharp but from the Lynx II of the picture above.

lynx2.jpg

Edited by enthusi
  • Like 2

On 8/23/2019 at 6:49 PM, bhall408 said:

Great -- those open right up in the browser (Safari)

I confirm.

Surprisingly your .mov video are not loaded or displayed on Quick time on my Mac but in .mP4 I could see the both videos ?

Final testing on real Lynx with save feature here also.

My son went through the prologue. He tried to make 100% of the prologue but resigned after a bit more than half an hour and maybe 85% (seems like he don't like taking baths into lava :D).

I continued his game in order to test all the main level. Did 7 on 8 path (each path is 2 or 3 levels), but it seems one is not feasible, I need to go back to level design before final submission. It probably took me a bit more than 1 hour to do this, but I still remember the traps and tricks, so I guess nobody will complete the game :D (the 5 minutes rule for new games on old system, and especially games with a die & retry feeling)

Edited by Fadest
  • Like 1

Just submitted the build via PM here on  AA.

Since literally over 90% of effort went into creating the 3D engine on 6502, the gameplay needs at least another week or two to feel richer, but the 25 levels are playable.

I had to disable story and dialogs for this build, but  they should be working in a week (with some other fixes, hopefully).

Procedural generation algorithms are used for placement of enemies, their combat characteristics and track curvature (X and Y coordinates).

Here are some screenshots:

Lynx14.thumb.PNG.6e575ea3bcfe78455ed80f9d556588c6.PNGLynx16.thumb.PNG.69bd2fec11cb6db49cdf1d64e6f845e5.PNGLynx17.thumb.PNG.73acb6374924fc0b64592f0b578f3d2f.PNGLynx18.thumb.PNG.3abc68ea9496cccd38edff49a8aa7c28.PNGLynx19.thumb.PNG.9f63bb683b2d8a1765ba6b913f7b7d9d.PNG

• Like 7

You're all amazing! I have 9 out of 11 final submissions now. There's still time to get any updates/fixes in before any of the games are published for the first time. Of course there's a whole week before the submissions will have to be locked down. Tomorrow is father's day in Australia so I'll be out most of the day, the ROMs won't be published until Monday my time (this is me being flexible for other time zones).

Great to see Engadget writing about it, I've been in communication with James for quite some time now. There's been a huge interest in additional sponsorship too, which (hint maybe) opens doors for future competitions.

I still can't believe the quality of every single submission, thank you!

• Like 1

We have sent a submission.

Its only a sneak peak (becasue final - real - game will be submitted in a week). The crunch is real but we will manage. 90% is done but one module still crashing so we just dropped title/story/few levels (without any enemy shooting - it crashes) to have a submission.

Will make topic tomorrow about our production and we hope you will like it (the final game not sneakpeak of course).

• Like 1

Sorry for spoiling it, but on the contest page there are links to the games, and someone already posted about it's game adding a link to the ROM (this is how I found them today, because I was expecting to find them there tomorrow and was not checking the atarigamer page today).

I'l post about my games tomorrow.