IGNORED

Atari Lynx 30th Birthday Programming Competition

Igor

4 hours ago, karri said:

I have collected the labels seen in this thread to get them printed at a local photo shop on glossy adhesive photo paper. Unfortunately I am still missing cart labels for 4 games (Lynx Quest, Sky Rider, The Inside World and Undergrounders). The last 4 would fit on a 15cm by 10cm sheet. The first set of 8 games goes on 15cm by 20cm sheet (4TTude is there twice as I may want to ComLynx it).

If I print only one set (12 labels) it costs me €15. If I print 10 a set costs €8. For 20 sets the price is €6. Posting a set worldwide costs €2. Any takers? This is just the labels - nothing more.

I'll be interested as well, I will need more blanks soon. Will they be precut?

Cheaters!

That's right, I've got some bad news and it's unfortunate this happened. It disappoints me a little that this kind of behaviour was reported to me. I've gone through the logs (Google does a very good job of logging what happens on its servers!) It looks like some people took to the game ratings page and actively tried to inflate ratings on certain games. Some games were up voted and some were actively down voted.

As a result I had to add some counter measures...

1040474631_ScreenShot2019-09-11at19_04_47.thumb.png.5ed3e83ff29840c1f965e93025b4b7b0.png1998937522_ScreenShot2019-09-11at19_47_21.thumb.png.85aaa111a0c3e668f7255eb7ca243d0f.png

From the browser side, you will not be able to select a game you've already rated. If you try to bypass that protection, there is another level of detection on the server side and you will get a nice error message.

I will be deleting ratings for the affected games within the next 24 hours, so if you see your rating drop to N/A, that's why. Further, these ratings will not be used for judging.

On a brighter note... I've lined up a very cool surprise for every participant who was involved. More on that later!

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, necrocia said:

Cheaters!

I will be deleting ratings for the affected games within the next 24 hours, so if you see your rating drop to N/A, that's why. Further, these ratings will not be used for judging.

Well, that is why judges should never read the ranking lists before a competition.

So from the dance sports page:

- Look at the dancers and understand what happens on the floor.

- Have an opinion of the dance.

- You have to be able to put your opinion on paper.

Fair play. Judge only what happens on this round - not past history or your own expectations.

On competitions the audience will always cheer their local heroes even if they do mistakes. It is natural. But listening to the audience reactions is not a good policy for fair judgement.

--

On a lighter side. The variety of the games is great! So in any case you will be judging apples against oranges. What is best is not an objective result but mirrors your own preferences for a good Atari Lynx computer game.

10 minutes ago, Nop90 said:

Well, 4TTude is unrated at the moment. Seems I have a secret supporter ?.

But at least a couple of valid votes there should be. I know my doughter rated the game with a nice score (but not all 5). 

The kids opinion is what really matters.

My kids even participated in singing in the samples of "Find a way to my heart".

1623242264_Screenshotfrom2019-09-1207-29-38.thumb.png.5fe28f38051a6c471622a3f10968b6dc.png

Naturally they said the game is fun to play. And the samples turned out great!

You can hear/see the high quality soundtrack in https://bitbucket.org/karri/findaway sources in samples/VID_20190505_175521.mp4

• Like 2

Awesome to get your kids involved!

It is unfortunate this happened and actually the ratings were never going to enter into the equation - they are there just for the developers. Not blaming anyone here. There were only 3 games affected by this.

17 hours ago, karri said:

If I print only one set (12 labels) it costs me €15. If I print 10 a set costs €8. For 20 sets the price is €6. Posting a set worldwide costs €2. Any takers? This is just the labels - nothing more.

https://www.stickermule.com

has very good prices, only 2,7€ per set if you buy 10, precut stickers and free shipping to some countries (checked only Italy).

37 minutes ago, necrocia said:

There were only 3 games affected by this.

Ynxa is in the 3 ?

Last time I looked at ratings, it didn't appears to be manipulated (well, I was a bit disappointed by gameplay and replay value scores, but this is also because we all have put our best into these games).

But in my opinion, the ratings and the classement are differents things. I have not voted yet, but I'm pretty sure the score I would give to each game won't reflect my personnal opinion of the classement. To be honest, I think I could not give a podium, there are so many great games and in different styles that  my podiul would vary every day (unless you can put more than 3 games on the podium, 7 or 8 would be the minimum :D)

Ouch. I did actually vote for On Duty - once. But that was in April before the code was written. AG had put up On Duty for voting and just for laughs I gave it a straight 5 as a goal for what I am aiming for. I pointed out to necrocia that he has non-existing games (On Duty) on AG and we made some jokes about it.

YNXA is one of the best games in the competition. It has a few minor flaws but i LOVE the idea of 3 different talents to solve the puzzles.

4TTude requires thinking in 3D. This is a game where I rather play against a friend and not a computer. I have not played it yet but I intend to do so when I find an opponent and get the carts made.

1 hour ago, Nop90 said:

has very good prices, only 2,7€ per set if you buy 10, precut stickers and free shipping to some countries (checked only Italy).

Thanks, this sounds perfect. So plans are changed. We get pre-cut stickers from stickermule.

Perhaps it still makes sense that I get the batch to Finland and distribute single sets to the interested parties. It looks as 10 sets is enough.

18 hours ago, karri said:

Labels1.thumb.png.cccca3965208b65880c60b6476d07a2b.png

I'd like a set if this happens! I wonder if this would need a thread of its own on the main Lynx forum to get enough people to join?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nop90 said:

The 2,7€ is for 100mm by 150mm. Our sheet will be bigger, 200mm by 200mm and cost over 6€. But the labels may be pre-cut. It is definitely worth a try.

Stickemule offers a sheet and they do the layout. Now we just need the labels of the 4 last games.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, karri said:

Ouch. I did actually vote for On Duty - once. But that was in April before the code was written. AG had put up On Duty for voting and just for laughs I gave it a straight 5 as a goal for what I am aiming for. I pointed out to necrocia that he has non-existing games (On Duty) on AG and we made some jokes about it.

YNXA is one of the best games in the competition. It has a few minor flaws but i LOVE the idea of 3 different talents to solve the puzzles.

4TTude requires thinking in 3D. This is a game where I rather play against a friend and not a computer. I have not played it yet but I intend to do so when I find an opponent and get the carts made.

There are a LOT of suspicious (read: possibly non existent) games in that list  and it should be cleaned up really.

Just now, agradeneu said:

There are a LOT of suspicious (read: possibly non existent) games in that list  and it should be cleaned up really.

Please point them out and I can see what can be done, but I've put in a lot of effort to collect information about every single entry in that list. The list includes announced but never released games, demos, prototypes, etc.

If you use the advanced search feature you can filter out games that were never released, etc. It's always easy to complain about something of course, I'd prefer if people contributed and helped maintain this list instead. ?

7 hours ago, necrocia said:

Please point them out and I can see what can be done, but I've put in a lot of effort to collect information about every single entry in that list. The list includes announced but never released games, demos, prototypes, etc.

If you use the advanced search feature you can filter out games that were never released, etc. It's always easy to complain about something of course, I'd prefer if people contributed and helped maintain this list instead. ?

All the "games" by Digital Thunder, with no infos whatsoever. The very definition of vapourware. Edit: Confirmed vapourware ;-)

Edited by agradeneu

8 hours ago, agradeneu said:

All the "games" by Digital Thunder, with no infos whatsoever. The very definition of vapourware. Edit: Confirmed vapourware ;-)

Ah yes, well you're right on those, I'll see about removing them soon. Anything else?

The point of the game database was to capture as much as possible, then I created this -> https://atarigamer.com/explore

The explore pages are focused.