IGNORED

Atari Lynx 30th Birthday Programming Competition

Igor

For my personal project I'm looking for a better name than Oblique Challenge. I selected it in few minutes just to register to the competition, but I don't like it.

I'm evaluating 4Ttude, but it's not final.

Is it ok to change the game name before the final releae?

On 7/18/2019 at 4:59 PM, VladR said:
On 7/17/2019 at 4:38 PM, bhall408 said:

I also would like to invite any contest participants to demo at our booth at PRGE. (Also goes for any Lynx home brewers generally). If interested, PM me.

You got a booth there ? Can you PM me the name under which you registered there so I can find you there ?

Under the company name "Mark/Space, Inc."

I don't think they have a 2019 exhibitor list posted yet.

We should be in a spot similar to #106 on the 2018 listing. It is an 11x22.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

My "Find a way to my heart" was submitted at the start of the competition.

"On Duty" will be submitted on 11th of August. There is still some end boss mechanics fine tuning. And I would like to add a B-chorus to the credits tune. The music is already written on MuseScore but conversion takes one evening. What really bothers me is that I cannot fade out the melody like on a real keyboard. The manual is also still missing.

I already submitted Ynxa before my hollidays (a kind of small puzzle/platformer with some metroidvania gimmicks) but with only maybe third of levels of final version (if it ever see the light), and placeholder music without SFX.

If I find/take time this month, I may submit another version with more levels or keep them for final release.

Edited by Fadest
  • Like 1

I'm trying to release a final version. Only missing 5 levels (first 20 finished and tested) and 2 cutscenes.

Just finished fixing all the bugs and tomorrow I'll make a new test on real hw, so could have Nutmeg done for Sunday, but I'll use all the time till the last day to polish the game.

• Like 1

After my two week vacation I pick up where I left coding and -of course- discovered bugs when trying to test things on real hardware (a big thanks to Karri and Igor! For the hardware, not the bugs :).
Time is short but with the extended deadline we hope to deliver some finished game ;-)

testing1.jpg

Edited by enthusi
  • Like 1

Hey everyone! I'm back from the honeymoon trip so I'll be catching up on everything over the next few days. Hope you are all making good progress on the games! Really looking forward to playing them all soon!

• Like 1

Deadline sucks ☹

Nutmeg is completed but I have reports from the testers it doesn't starts on real hw.

With 4Ttude made a big progress in the last two days. The game doesn't look as a professional one, but it's better than expected and I'm satisfied of it. Bad news is that there is a memory leak somewhere in the AI core that doesn't crash the game but  writes garbage in the eeptom save buffer.

A really bad situation.

But I code from too much time to have panic with two weeks of time left to fix everything ?

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

• Like 1

No worries. Your tester has 2k eeproms. I just had a discussion with him. Well, he also got a few 128 byte PCB's a few weeks ago so this may solve itself. (As saves are concerned. It does not help memory leaks.)

4 minutes ago, Nop90 said:

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

Writing in CAPS sounds like PANIC. Not like "Keep calm and carry on" ;)

3 hours ago, Nop90 said:

Nutmeg is completed but I have reports from the testers it doesn't starts on real hw.

3 hours ago, karri said:

No worries. Your tester has 2k eeproms. I just had a discussion with him. Well, he also got a few 128 byte PCB's a few weeks ago so this may solve itself.

Yes my bad, I didn't remember I had carts with 2K eeproms. I guess now I should make some game that needs really complicated saves so I don't waste the space! :D I'll try and program Nutmeg on a cart with 128byte eeprom tonight.

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx

The problem with Nutmeg is real, but I identified it and hope I can solve it soon.

It's related to the initialization of the PCM playing code. It's interesting that while Handy runs it, Mednafen not like real hw, so this should be investigated to make Handy work the same way.

About the carrts with 2k eeprom, why should them not work? Is there a different lib to read/write bigger eeprom saves?

On 8/16/2019 at 7:51 PM, Nop90 said:

The problem with Nutmeg is real, but I identified it and hope I can solve it soon.

It's related to the initialization of the PCM playing code. It's interesting that while Handy runs it, Mednafen not like real hw, so this should be investigated to make Handy work the same way.

About the carrts with 2k eeprom, why should them not work? Is there a different lib to read/write bigger eeprom saves?

The command sequence (number of bits for the address) differs between the 128 512 and 2048 chips. I've had the same issue with the Jag GD. Simple to fix if you have the code and take a look at the datasheets for the EEPROMs.

Edited by SainT

43 minutes ago, Nop90 said:

The addressing of a 2k has more bits than addressing 128 bytes. The software has to feed the correct number of bits to the chip one by one. The eeprom has only 1 data wire.

• Thanks 1

The end boss did not turn out to be fun. It was too easy with no change from basic game play.
So now the goal for the final encounter is changing to a bit more difficult end fight. I hope this version will be approved by our testers.

809044120_Screenshotfrom2019-08-1913-00-07.png.e9fbba7487df1febaccd39db43cd27f8.png

I also wanted a bossanova as a background tune for the final countdown. But the music is not even composed yet :(. Not to even talk about coding it for the Lynx.

Just to be sure of not missing the dead line I may send in the untested version when I get it working and hopefully a fixed version before the dead line. 13 days left...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1