IGNORED

Do you use floppies? What do you store them in?

6BQ5

I love using floppies :) and was wonder what my fellow Atarians use to store them in. It seems nobody makes new floppy storage boxes nowadays. That leaves the NOS and used markets.

There's got to be some new modern storage container of some sort that works out perfectly for 5.25" and 3.5" disks. I'm tempted to go to Target or Walmart with a handful of disks and test different storage containers.

Any insight on what works and what doesn't?

Thanks!

For 5.25" disks, I still use my old reliable Flip 'n' File disk storage boxes, just like the one shown in this auction (not mine):

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1136859199701?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&camp

These hold 50 floppies (plus labels, write protect tabs, etc.) and fold horizontally when you close them. Very nice. I have a few of them now, and I'll still pick them up if they're reasonably cheap and in good condition.

Cardboard bankers boxes from Staples. Each box holds about 200 total (two rows wide). But I started my Atari journey with these. They were made out of oak by a talented wood-working hobbyist from our user's group. Very nice looking! I thought at the time, that two of these would be all I'd ever need! :grin:

But everything possible is backed up to images in one form or another.

post-8008-0-55424000-1556619852.jpg

post-8008-0-46994300-1556619872.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah, I noticed that, Gunstar likes to live on the edge :)

I'm sure he has digital copies tho..........You do don't you Mat?

Everything on those disks is digital copy from the Internet, nothing original. But actually, the speakers are shielded. I'm not sure why Nezgar thinks he knows what's what of mine from a picture. The case on the 1050 is only there for a picture too, not where it's normally stored. The one with the Atari sticker is in it's usual spot.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

Want to never worry about placement of EMF RF emitting devices? Here is what I use on the inside of all my cases.

https://www.emrss.com/collections/emf-shielding-paint/products/hsf54-emr-shielding-paint-1l

used the crap out of that stuff inside crt cases that were plastic back in the day. wonderful stuff. but I see they have improved the classic formula today!

• Like 1

I use flopies only with my C64, have like 250 floppies already, 50 of them already loaded with demos, this year I'm gonna buy some stickers to mark the content of disks. Part of them is still in the post cartboard box, part in the original 5,25 box (about 100 of them) and the rest is stored in a home made box my dad made last year.

post-26185-0-71360200-1556637785_thumb.jpg

Edited by gorgh
  • Like 2

I started working on a 3-d printed case, but my printer only does 5.5 inches cubes, so its just not quite beg enough, i think

Im working on a travel case that will hold about 10 disks that i can (hopefully) print diagonally.

If the diagonal print does't help, it sounds like you better start thinking along the lines of racks instead of cases. ;) Though not good for storage, just accessibility...or as they say "think outside of the box." Why not make the case in pieces that can be put together?

Edited by Gunstar

If the diagonal print does't help, it sounds like you better start thinking along the lines of racks instead of cases. ;) Though not good for storage, just accessibility...or as they say "think outside of the box." Why not make the case in pieces that can be put together?

Ive done things in pieces before. Its one of the options I am looking at. I will share my results.

• Like 1

I'm printing the center part of this right now. Still working on how I will do some sort of lid, but this is a start.

The center piece is 135mm x 135mm and the ends add on to make it 165 mm wide in the middle.

If it all works out, the center piece can be glued into the channel on each end and it will be a relatively solid box.

Another to do is to add slots for dividers and also to design and print dividers.

post-50483-0-70672100-1556662933_thumb.png

• Like 1

Media Mates, CD drawers, and some modular drawer units I found someplace like Wal-Mart.

Bob

attachicon.gifDSC01716.JPG

I have a couple of these in black. Mine were made by Rubber Maid. I have been trying to find more of them but with no luck. :( They work perfectly with 5.25 disks.

Allan

• Like 1

Okay. I have the middle and right printed. Left is printing now.

What do you guys think about size? I measured one case and it was 165 mm. Another was onl 150.

This one I am printing is going to be 165.

Thoughts on what the best width is?

I made this in tinkercad and printed on my Ender3.

This is an aside, but I love that you have a copy of Print Shop in your 3D-printed diskette box. It's a reminder of how we've gone from printing greeting cards and banners on fanfold paper to printing 3D objects, all within about 35 years. Amazing.
  • Like 4

Well, it actually turned out pretty good for a prototype print.

Still need to decide on the final width and design a lid, but it's a pretty good first attempt.

Would love to hear feedback. Here are some pictures. The picture with disks has about 35 disks in it.

post-50483-0-63587800-1556918580_thumb.jpg

post-50483-0-06909600-1556918607_thumb.jpg

post-50483-0-68847500-1556918562_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This is an aside, but I love that you have a copy of Print Shop in your 3D-printed diskette box. It's a reminder of how we've gone from printing greeting cards and banners on fanfold paper to printing 3D objects, all within about 35 years. Amazing.

I completely agree. When I got my 3-D printer, I told everyone who would listne, that 3-D printing today is where Dot Matrix printers were in the 80's.

We'll get better resolution, then color, then faster monochrome (picture an area that can be shaped like a thing and then plastic bits get thrown in all at once.), then we will get faster color. and on and on and on.

We're just getting started!

• Like 3