IGNORED

Eprom burning.

chevymad

XL/XE OS won't fit on a 2764 right? As far as I know, I have no place i can use a 2764. I'm just using it to try and verify that my setup will indeed burn an eprom. File I used is a binary for a different chip. To try and rule out a file mismatch, I burned the 2764a first with the tl866 and verified it. Then I read it in the RD atari burner. Ereased my eprom and burned it back to 2764a. All seemed to work fine. When I verify on the atari does it give any indication of it being good? I hit verify it does something then back to the main menu.

After this I tried to verify the chip again on the tl866, but it was all different. I have seen where I can change from hex to binary etc. Didn't think of trying that.

So I think my burner is indeed working now. Which brings me back to burning 2732A and 2532A eproms. What speeds or brands may work better? Both sets I have are 450 nanosecond. Most of the 2732a's won't even show empty on the Atari, but do on the tl866. All of the 2532A's show empty, but won't program. Even after attempting to burn both versions will show empty afterwards.

A 2764 is 8K. Perfect for Atari Basic. I used 800XL/130XE OS as an example. Sorry if I confused you. :(

Trying to use 2732A is possible with the adapter on the RD burner, but is dependent on the eprom. By that I don't necessarily mean the brand. You are trying to burn over 30 year old eproms with unknown number of erasures and reprogramming before you got them. Unfortunately there is no way to definitively say what will work or won't beyond matching the pinout and programming voltage and speed (faster is better) necessary. Make sure you are manually setting the memory range 0000 - 0FFF for 2732A and try the slow burning speed to see if it makes any difference. You can only try each eprom individually. And to make it even more fun, the same eprom that worked the last time, will suddenly die now. That's the reality of 30+ year old eproms.

If your TI866 can read and burn the 2732A and 2532A, then by all means use it. Idiosyncrasies abound between eprom burners that can make all the difference.

XL/XE OS won't fit on a 2764 right? As far as I know, I have no place i can use a 2764. I'm just using it to try and verify that my setup will indeed burn an eprom. File I used is a binary for a different chip. To try and rule out a file mismatch, I burned the 2764a first with the tl866 and verified it. Then I read it in the RD atari burner. Ereased my eprom and burned it back to 2764a. All seemed to work fine. When I verify on the atari does it give any indication of it being good? I hit verify it does something then back to the main menu.

After this I tried to verify the chip again on the tl866, but it was all different. I have seen where I can change from hex to binary etc. Didn't think of trying that.

So I think my burner is indeed working now. Which brings me back to burning 2732A and 2532A eproms. What speeds or brands may work better? Both sets I have are 450 nanosecond. Most of the 2732a's won't even show empty on the Atari, but do on the tl866. All of the 2532A's show empty, but won't program. Even after attempting to burn both versions will show empty afterwards.

Repeat AtariAge or the Internet hiccuped. :(

Edited by Dropcheck

• 1 year later...

:idea: What I did to read a 2532 prom as a 2732 eprom using my "MiniPro" programmer, after many other unsuccessful combinations scattered on the internet. :(

2532    -      2732

18     to        21

20     to    18 + 20

21     to        24 

Edited by santosp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/1/2020 at 10:40 AM, santosp said:

:idea: What I did to read a 2532 prom as a 2732 eprom using my "MiniPro" programmer, after many other unsuccessful combinations scattered on the internet. :(

2532    -      2732

18     to        21

20     to    18 + 20

21     to        24 

Look here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/4Pcs-2732-to-2532-EPROM-adaptor-4-Pcs-/254357145910

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hijacking this older thread with a similar question...

Not too long ago, I picked up a TL866II (eventually to burn some Amiga kickstarts, but I got Atari sidetracked.. ;-).

I hadn't used it.  (Well, I used it to test a couple of chips and read an eprom I had in a Apple II printer card ;-).

I got a 400 recently and just got that working.

Got some carts and they work, so that's good!

I also ordered a pixelspast 16k eeprom and cart (preassembled, but with no ROM burned) and was hoping to try it out.

I didn't realize how many things were actually 8k.  (OK, I've only just started looking)

I'd like to be able to test burning a rom, but as this is my first attempt??? Any recommendations on what would be a good choice for a 16k ROM to try?

Is there anything special I need to do?  (I see that there are some CAR files that have headers that I guess I would have to strip?)

Any pointers to a site that might have a ROM I can test?

I am totally fine with someone pointing to a freeware 16k rom if there is one out there...

I'm just looking for something to test to see if I can get it to work.

Thanx

Thanx!

And I found a thread that I didn't find earlier when searching that had some for testing.

Well, update.

I was able to successfully test 3 things.

My first (before I thought about it) test was a 16k XL BASIC file that didn't work.  But that is what got me here thinking I should have picked something simpler.

So, I needed to erase my first attempt.  Did that (just around 30 minutes.  That seemed to be a fairly common suggestion for duration..).  That was a successful test of my UV eraser.

Then I took one of the ROMs from that other thread and burned them using the XGPro software.

That said it was successful, which was a good sign.  So that was a successful test of my TL866II.

Then I put that in the new cart and tried the new program and it worked.  And that was my 3rd success, of the PixelsPast board.

So, it really is that simple with the PixelsPast board.

I was worried about needing to possibly flip files from LSB to MSB or vice versa or something like that... ;-)

But nope, it just worked!

Another thing to test later, just for fun, is to take an 8k ROM file, double it to make a 16k file, and then try that.

I read that might work.

Yeah, I could get an 8K eprom (and another pixelspast board or mod the one I have, and probably will do one of those eventually), but where's the fun in that?    ;-)

Edited by desiv
update
  • Like 1