IGNORED

It's time to move on...

Omega-TI

It's time to move on... to something NEW and exciting! ;)

I’ve been away for a few weeks, but the last I read, there was something about trying to get the Geneve to work with the TIPI. For those that own one, it sounded like a very worthy goal. I hope it was successful.

Back in the day I had a passing interest in the Geneve, but could never ‘bite’ because of the expense and the small user base on a then dying platform. When I got back into the TI the video incompatibility and lack of cartridge support also kept me away, and now, like then, the expense to benefit ratio was too out-of-whack (for me) to justify.

Now, what about a ‘new and improved’ Geneve like VARIANT using modern components? Possibly FPGA? I’m thinking a modern Geneve type expansion board that would support...

1) A modern USB wireless keyboard

Cheap wireless or wired PC keyboards are a dime a dozen.

2) A plug in F18A or F18A Mk2 video adapter.

It would keep the unit cost down, but give people the ability

to use an existing video adapter or a new one if/when released.

3) Support for Cartridges

If a cartridge is present it would bypass the normal boot routine.

This would allow people to use the new mega cartridges like Dragon’s Lair. Cartridges would probably

require a ribbon cable from the plug-in board and a 3D printed enclosure for most P-Box owners,

but could be ‘doable’, possibly even a 3D printed half-height face plate.

4) Of course it would have to play well with the TIPI-PEB.

I figure if you already have a TIPI or an F18A you’re not a purist, so a project like this might be welcome. Granted something like this would probably take a couple of years to design and develop, but since more consoles are starting to die and people want to explore new horizons, a new plug in replacement option with extra capabilities could keep us all happy… and probably for less money or ongoing hassle than a genuine Geneve.

Just an idea...

• Like 4

In the mean time you could get ready for the product(s) you're describing by using the MAME emulator (no video upgrades needed), for both Geneve & TI software development. I'm headed that way due to my destructive ways with both TI & Geneve hardware/firmware. MAME supports both platforms rather well, so BITD, I used MESS for SW development for both, especially when assembling AL code, thereby preserving valuable Geneve & TI hardware. Even before this I assembled TI AL code on the Geneve, as it didn't give me "out of buffers" errors, and was much faster. As everyone knows I'm not an AL programmer, but TI Forth and others come with lots of AL code, and other helpers provided me with AL assistance, so I did assemble lots of AL code BITD, and I believe or have hopes of doing so again. We shall see.

Edited by FDOS
  • Like 1

Keep an eye out for the CollectorVision Phoenix, a FPGA-based board for simulating ColecoVision, Atari 2600, TI 99/4a, and is open source so that other systems (Geneve?) might be simulated in the future.

1) It has PS/2 keyboard connector. (No USB)

2) It has F18A already on the FPGA.

3) Someone would need to design a cartridge adapter for TI cartridges. (But it has SD card for software also.)

4) Someone would need to make an adapter for the expansion port to interface with existing peripherals.

• Like 1

I like this - I'm definitely down to design the cartridge caddy casing.

Sweet!

Keep an eye out for the CollectorVision Phoenix, a FPGA-based board for simulating ColecoVision, Atari 2600, TI 99/4a, and is open source so that other systems (Geneve?) might be simulated in the future.

1) It has PS/2 keyboard connector. (No USB)

2) It has F18A already on the FPGA.

3) Someone would need to design a cartridge adapter for TI cartridges. (But it has SD card for software also.)

4) Someone would need to make an adapter for the expansion port to interface with existing peripherals.

Interesting! If something similar, or a redesign of something like this comes out for the TI and can plug into the P-Box I'll be all over it.

There are so many design paths a person could go with something like this. I'd like to see something that would get along with existing hardware as a way to keep production costs down, but I'm not picky, if it happens, I have faith whatever may be released will be well thought out.

I'm really curious, how few components it would take to make one of these in FPGA?

Slipped in right next to the TIPI, I imagine with a Geneve like variant, I'd get at least another decade out of new software development and other new things to keep me interested, occupied and active..

The TI-99/5C is a standalone computer.

What I meant was a device with a USB interface that plugs into a Windows PC running a modified version of MAME with the other end of the USB device plugging into a PEBox. The PEBox device communicates back and forth across the USB device for all I/O.

Have no idea if it can be done.

• Like 1

I've never heard of what you are talking about, a USB bridge of sorts.... You might be thinking of this company that is long gone:

Cecure Electronics Inc. c/o Don Walden, P.O. Box 132, Muskego, WI 53150, for
orders/sales write to P.O. Box 2, Muskego, WI 53150-0002, 1-800-959-9640
(ORDERS ONLY 9AM - 5PM M-F), (414) 422-1010, BBS (414) 422-9669, TECH Line
(414) 422-994A, FAX (414) 422-9889 (Texas Instruments TI99, CC40 and Myarc
Authorized Repair Centers, sales of MBP, MBPII Clock and ADC cards as well
as SNUG products from Germany including HSGPL, HSGPLII, EVPC 80 column card
and SGCPU cards...)