IGNORED

My Jaguar dilemma

MegaManFan

I recently purchased a new 32" HDTV cheap ($64) and used entertainment center, which resulted in me tearing down a huge gaming area in the back of my rec room that I had over a dozen consoles hooked up to. Yeah I know, kind of insane. There were so many things on the TV that I had switch boxes on the front and the back, plus a roll car to hold the oversized consoles like the 5200, ColecoVision, and Jaguar. When I redid everything I decided it had to be less cluttered (or dangerous) so I cut the number in half. The TV has a coax in the back so I was able to hook up the 5200, and it had RCA plugs so I was able to hook a switch box to it and hook five systems back up: 3DO, Turbo Duo, Wii, Dreamcast, and N64. They all fit nicely in the new cabinet and there's no longer cords and wires strewn everywhere - they all go through holes in the back to the set or the box and so do the power cords. I was so happy...

Then I realized I still hadn't hooked up the Atari Jaguar. And because I have the Jag CD, it takes two power supplies, not one.

There's no way to do it unless I sacrifice something else. And I'm not sure if I did it would fit anyway because that Jag CD raises the height profile.

So now I'm bummed.

I recently purchased a new 32" HDTV cheap ($64) and used entertainment center, which resulted in me tearing down a huge gaming area in the back of my rec room that I had over a dozen consoles hooked up to. Yeah I know, kind of insane. There were so many things on the TV that I had switch boxes on the front and the back, plus a roll car to hold the oversized consoles like the 5200, ColecoVision, and Jaguar. When I redid everything I decided it had to be less cluttered (or dangerous) so I cut the number in half. The TV has a coax in the back so I was able to hook up the 5200, and it had RCA plugs so I was able to hook a switch box to it and hook five systems back up: 3DO, Turbo Duo, Wii, Dreamcast, and N64. They all fit nicely in the new cabinet and there's no longer cords and wires strewn everywhere - they all go through holes in the back to the set or the box and so do the power cords. I was so happy...

Then I realized I still hadn't hooked up the Atari Jaguar. And because I have the Jag CD, it takes two power supplies, not one.

There's no way to do it unless I sacrifice something else. And I'm not sure if I did it would fit anyway because that Jag CD raises the height profile.

So now I'm bummed.

Honestly... I hate to trash the Jag CD, but I haven't used my Jag CD in a long time. The only reason why I would bother would be for Hoverstrike and the new fancy version of Songbird's Protector. If Carl made a Protector Resergence on cartridge, I'd buy it tomorrow. But, there's almost no point in even having a Jag CD, honestly. So... no loss there... just hook up the Jag and don't worry about the CD.

• Like 1

Honestly... I hate to trash the Jag CD, but I haven't used my Jag CD in a long time. The only reason why I would bother would be for Hoverstrike and the new fancy version of Songbird's Protector. If Carl made a Protector Resergence on cartridge, I'd buy it tomorrow. But, there's almost no point in even having a Jag CD, honestly. So... no loss there... just hook up the Jag and don't worry about the CD.

I take your point, but since I have a complete library and a few oddities besides (Jag demo CDs, Jag homebrews that work when Protector is plugged in) it seems a shame to NOT use it, especially when it's reportedly increasingly hard to find one that works these days. I almost want to hook it back up just to make sure it didn't take an AVGN sized dump while I had it unplugged. It's making me slightly OCD thinking about it!! :o

I take your point, but since I have a complete library and a few oddities besides (Jag demo CDs, Jag homebrews that work when Protector is plugged in) it seems a shame to NOT use it, especially when it's reportedly increasingly hard to find one that works these days. I almost want to hook it back up just to make sure it didn't take an AVGN sized dump while I had it unplugged. It's making me slightly OCD thinking about it!! :o

I have *literally* every official game for the JagCD, and every professional and semi-professionally released homebrew for the Jag as well. I haven't plugged in the CD drive in over 10 years. About the only game I miss playing is Hoverstrike on CD... and I've never actually played Protector Resurgence because I've never bothered to plug in the CD drive. You're not missing out...

I am confused. Why not get a nice powerstrip and hook up everything you want? Someone showed us his room and he uses those cube shelves and it looks great with all the systems on them. I am looking using one in the future. I would put the game cases away and hook up the jaguar.

I love these kind of strips cuz power bricks fit nice on them:

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-outlet-super-power-strip-96737.html

Edited by Machine
  • Like 1

Missed my post about the single PSU and splitter?

Problem solved. Nothing has to go back into its box.

Didn't so much miss it as feel unsure that it would work the same way since you're probably on a different current being in a different region with different standards. I had a bugger of a time with a UK Super Famicom. Never could get the bloody thing to work. I've got one from Japan that works like a breeze. Then again you're undoubtedly right and I should just say f**k it and try a splitter.

I have too many consoles and too many hooked up that I had to buy 2 additional shelving units to be able to mount even half of them. The jaguar CD have a higher profile so it sits up top so I can open it and fit the carts inside and the CDs in. I had to go buy a 4 foot 12 outlet power strip from harbor Freight for use with all of them. if you think 2 plugs is bad you might not have a Genesis/Sega CD/32X that needs 3 of those damn bricks plugged in!

I have one of those input selectors like you are talking about too. My issue with my selector is I tried to upgrade all my systems to S-Video that were able to do it, and I have a 4 input S-Video switch, but the internal grounding seems to be off so I get checkerboard on the systems when using that but not when plugged directly into the TV. So for my Jaguar Dilemma I plug the Jaguar directly into the CD so I get no checkerboarding and then 4 systems into the switch box and just deal with the checkerboarding on the screen.

If you have a Genesis nearby, just unplug the power off the Genesis and use it on the JagCD. I use a model1 Genesis supply on my Jag and the actual Jag PSU on my JagCD. The worst high profile system setup I had (Note I said had..), was my model 1 Genesis, 32x, and model 1 Sega CD. It was too tall to put carts in easily and I'd have to pull it forward from the shelving to insert carts. I finally replaced out the model 1 SegaCD for a Model 2 for lower profile use. But I still use a modified gamecube power supply to power all three devices from a single outlet. Been great for several years now.

If you have a Genesis nearby, just unplug the power off the Genesis and use it on the JagCD. I use a model1 Genesis supply on my Jag and the actual Jag PSU on my JagCD. The worst high profile system setup I had (Note I said had..), was my model 1 Genesis, 32x, and model 1 Sega CD. It was too tall to put carts in easily and I'd have to pull it forward from the shelving to insert carts. I finally replaced out the model 1 SegaCD for a Model 2 for lower profile use. But I still use a modified gamecube power supply to power all three devices from a single outlet. Been great for several years now.

Unfortunately that would require unwiring the FIRST rec room redo I did in 2019. I took apart everything on my 32" TV and hooked up a Sega Master System, Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Atari 7800 (AV modded as you know) and NES Top loader (also AV modded). The Genesis is on a switch box so it's staying where it is... at least until I can get an Analogue. :D